Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you use an outboard compressor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you use an outboard compressor. Why?? Tone enhancement? compressed sound, more max volume?? I do know that compressed bass has a fuller sound, but please explain. thanks

2. The main reason is usually a more even sound, although I use my tube compressor for tone enhancement (I only use a 1:1.3 ratio, so basically almost no compression)

3. Yea, I've got a DBX 266 in my rig. I use the gate to keep down the noise from my SVP-Pro. If I'm doing a tune with a lot of slap and pop I will add some compression like 4:1. The trick is not to over do it. Too much compression will suck all the punch out of your sound. No compression at all is a lot better than too much. jmho

4. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Some guys who have solid state amps,and want to warm up their tone with little investment,will run an inexpensive compressor with a tube in it in front of their amps.
    I did that with an ART Levelar that I bought off of ebay for $50,and it works fine.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use a Behringer Autocom MDX 1000 compressor, running in softknee mode with a 3.5:1 ratio and attack/release set to auto.

I use it to get a slightly thicker and smoother sound, but in fact it only takes the bite out of some peaks. It still has lots of dynamics.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I don't use compression on stage, but my house sound has some compression and limiting to sit in the mix better and protect the PA speakers.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use a Rane DC-24 split-band compressor: it has a crossover (which I set ~250Hz) in order to compress highs separately from the lows. Examples of how this works: If I pop the G string then the highs are controlled but I don't lose all my lows. When I dig in hard playing fingerfunk, I don't lose all my highs.

The DC-24 has automatic attack and release, which I prefer. My ratio settings are very gentle: typically 1.6 to 1. I also try to set threshold so that compression kicks in only for slap or digging in.

The DC-24 has a separate limiter circuit for each channel (10:1 ratio I think) which I set so that it would only kick in as speaker protection if nasty signal level came out of my bass or preamp. Each channel also has an expander (noise gate) which I have never used before, but might once I get my new-used SVP-Pro!

As mentioned, overuse of a compressor can drastically affect tone and dynamics (probably in a bad way, but that's a YMMV). I try to set mine so that nobody knows it's there but me. I consider my settings to be no different than the gentle compression that occurs when pushing tubes into the "sweet spot".

8. I forgot to say that I also use a fairly slow attack to keep all the punch (and maybe by doing this even add a little)