1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you use any effects/compression while recording?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Damani311, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Or is it better to just record a completely clean tone and add effects and compression as needed with software?

2. Normally compression when tracking. If I was using effects it would depend on what the effect was. Wah, distortion, envelope filters I would add as I recorded. Reverb, echo, chorus, flanging I would add afterwards.

3. I'll use a touch of compression sometimes while recording, but I'd rather add it later when I can take it out if needed. ;)

I use some effects while recording if they are a "time keeping" piece of the song. Like if a guitar needs to wah, it needs to wah in the right places in time. Also with delays, and such. But things like chorus, reverbs and those type of fx come later for me. (same with specific eq's)

4. themeanxtime

themeanxtime

Sep 10, 2008
    It also depends on your set up..If you are recording on your PC and you have limited CPU power it's probably better if you record using external effects. If however, you are recording with a studio in a box or something like it you are probably better off recording a clean track which you can add to later according to the needs of the recording. I also sometimes use a touch of compression just to even things out a bit.

Good luck

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Every studio I've ever worked in uses a limiter, at the very least, to make sure that you're not clipping on an otherwise perfect tape.

Personally, I like to record the effects during tracking these days. Making the commitment and just doing it means one less thing to worry about during mixdown, and saves a ton of time. Anyone else watched, or been, an engineer go through list after list after list of plugins to find the perfect one? Not a good way to keep a schedule.

6. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Always best to avoid effects when tracking, but sometimes you need some dynamics especially with inexperienced players. I'm old school and tracking should be clean and on bright side have lots of options for mixing. Even if low on resource I will record the effects to a track, and that offers some interesting options.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    With 24 bit recording, there is such a ridiculous amount of dynamic range available that compression is not at all necessary at tracking time. You can always add it later, and ideally you are adding it very sparingly.