Do you use covers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NoNoise, Apr 22, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I just wanted to ask how many of you use covers for your cabs and/or heads. I'm not sure if I want to dish out the $70 (or $90 padded) to cover my Avatar 115. Thanks.
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am a big fan of padded covers. The obvious purpose is to protect the cab during transport, and keep the elements off. They also help keep the dust off when you are storing them, and for those with small children in the house, they minimize interaction with prying hands. ;)

But I find that protecting my vehicle from scuffs and damage is just as important. Unless you have an open bed pickup, you may find that you put some serious wear and tear on your vehicle hauling your gear around without anything to cover the hard and/or sharp surfaces. Padded covers are great in this regard.

On a related note, one "padded box" looks much like another "padded box", and a room full of black "padded boxes" does not look nearly as expensive, or disapproving-comment-inviting, as a room full of uncovered bass gear, if you know what I mean! Nod nod, wink wink! ;)
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree. I don't like shelling out the sometimes ridiculous prices either. Luckily my wife can sew and makes mine for me. They stand up better than the ones from the factory.

I traded in one amp that had been used a lot for over a year but had a cover and got top dollar because it still looked new. I like my gear to look good.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use 'em, mainly as protection from rain. At gigs, I keep the covers in my car (whenever possible) so they don't get stinky from cigarette smoke.
  5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Definitely a good idea!
  6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Shrewd, Tom..... VERY shrewd! She won't be able to spot that new addition when it looks like all the others. And if she still has questions, I just mumble something like "the covers were on sale at The Container Store". Wives love that.

Seems like my covers are used more for storage of cabs I don't use that much. I usually transport my "gig cabs" in the back seat, so I leave the covers at home. I think taking covers on & off (frequently) can actually cause MORE carpet wear/pilling than no cover at all. But covers ARE a must (for me) when loading into a pickup bed or trailer.

If you don't mind a few scuffs or tears, though, don't bother with covers.
  7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
  8. I use the covers that came with my FLite cabs, custom sized, no padding but just a nice protector from the elements like snow and rain. And I would have paid extra to get them. :)
    And as a question, is it worth $70 to protect your cabinet?
    I would say no doubt yes.
  9. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'm in the pro cover camp. I've got an SVT 1540 (the same size as an 8 x 10) and I've got a padded tuki cover for it. I store it in the music room at church with the front facing a wall. So far no one's been curious enough to mess with it. Looks like a big padded musical something or another. ;)

When we play out the cover is nice because there is always something in the van leaning on it and I like my gear to look nice as well as sound nice. It also doesn't attract as much attention while it's waiting to be loaded on stage so little fingers don't go poking at the grill.

Get a cover, it's worth it. :bassist:
  10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I use like soft case for my Mesa 1516.. It's not padded, but it protects it from scratches (It's in great nick) and dust/rain etc.
    They're a good idea IMO.
  11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have covers for all of my speakers. It keeps the woolies away and keeps everybody from messing with your stuff!
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    At the moment I have two smaller cabs, both of similar vintage purchased new by me. The EA VL208 came with a sexy padded cover and a pouch any Kangaroo could call home, the Eden cover.. After 5 to 7 years of fairly constant use for both, the carpet and grille on the EA looks brand new, and the Eden is covered in lint and dingleberries, grill is scratched and the tag around the input is peeling off. The point is, I am fine with both results. If you have expensive cabs that you plan on keeping for a while then covers are smart, if you have that "workhorse" that you don't have to stress or worry about than save your money. As to earlier posts, if you need to hide equipment from your wife or girlfriend(yea, I came right out and said it!!) then do whatever it takes, cost is not a factor here and is probably not half as much trouble as she goes through to hide "stuff" from you!!!
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use covers for my cabs:

1. It keeps my vehicle from getting scratched and ruined since I gig at least twice every week.

2. It keeps my cabs looking like new, and I get better resale on them when I get GAS and switch cabs.

3. It keeps dust off of them, since I store them in my garage between gigs.
  14. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I always buy covers for my gear ... SKB stuff for the heads and Tuki or LeCover for the cabs.... as mentioned earlier if I decide to sell the cleaner the unit the better the chances of selling it..and it keeps the dust our of the unit...

I also always wear gloves when moving gear...

I scraped open my knuckles too many times while moving through tight spaces....
  15. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Vehicle damage isn't an issue for me since we have a big ol' van to haul gear with. Me and the drummer do bring heavy duty covers to gigs to keep stuff safe from flying debris and thing of the like. ;)

and they look damn cool.
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got padded covers for moving my gear around. They sit in the closet at home though... I keep my rig set up (more so now that I quit my band). I did make a cover that hooks to the side handles of my tube head and covers the front of my stack to keep the dust off it when not in use.
  17. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all your help guys, I definitely agree with you. And as much as I hate to dish out the money, I'm going to go with the standard $70 cover. Even though the padded cover would protect the cab more, I think that I'm mainly concerned about water, dust, and things that will scratch the cab. Thanks again!
  18. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea man do it//

i didn't wanna really get the cover with my accugroove cabinet, butwhen u are dishing out that kinda money u want to protect ur investment
  19. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    If you know someone who can cut and sew, you can make one for $25 out of padded marine protective cover. My wife made mine, and their indestructable. (sp?)
  20. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i use a towel to cover my avatar 2x10 because its in the back of my SUV, the towel that is, and i use it whenever its raining or snowing out and i need to move my cab to the club or where ever. I used it tonight, and if i would have used it a few months ago, i wouldnt have had to get new speakers and a new head!!!!

cover that gear somehow!