Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you use effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lazyman, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Hello,

this is my first post in this forum and I am very proud that it won't be a stupid post.
    I just wanna know, if you use effects to vary your sound? And if the answer would be yes, what kind of effects do you use or do you use a multi effects processor?
    As you see it lets into the question if I need some effects. I play in a band, which plays mostly Rock-Covers and at home I play the same stuff and many many things from the icons: MetallicA. So do you think, effects would be useable for me and again when the answer is yes. What kind of effects would you recommend for me?
    I look forward to read from you soon.
    Thank you for your quick help!

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hello Lazyman- very rarely is a post "stupid" when sincerely seeking answers to questions.

Yes, I do. I have just begun to delve seriously into the world of effects.

Currently, I use a vintage 1970's Morley Power Wah Boost and an MXR M-80 Bass DI+. I am not too enthusiastic about digital effects/modelers on bass. They seem to suck out tone/warmth.

Even though I am in my late 30's, early Metallica (Cliff Burton) is an influence of mine. The Morley wah I mentioned above is the same pedal that both he and Jason Newstead used with Metallica. The cover band I am in does "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and the PWB nails that tone.

This fact aside, most people seem to either favor the Dunlop style wah or the Morley style wahs. The Morleys sound better to me- it seems they effect the signal more than the Dunlops, and thus sounds richer and warmer.

The downside of using a pedal that has been dicontinued for 20+ years in repair costs and part availabilty.

If doing a lot of modern covers, distortion somes in handy, so I would recommend that you start off with a good distortion pedal- perhaps a US made EH Big Muff Pi. These are relatively inexpensive and this is the same distortion that the bass players for Metallica uses. Overall, a lot of people here seem to use them also. .

Ted

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I use effects myself, but can easily get carried away, so I try to limit their numbers... more playing the bass, less playing the pedals.

Anyways, I have now a Boss ME-50B and, while it's a multi-effect, I use it in the mode where each pedal is a dedicated stompbox. One for envelope filter, one for overdrive, one for chorus with a hint of echo, and the volume pedal doubles as a wah (or other things if you select them) in a pinch. Tadaaa, haven't genuinely needed any more pedals since, although GAS pains sometimes hit when I see something I could use for a particular song or sound.

4. Thank you for your responses!!! I wouldn't have thought that you are so quick!!!!
    I will keep my eyes open for some wah-pedals and distortion-stomp-boxes. But before I'll buy one, I just must test them in a store.
    So thank you for your answers. They were very helpful.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use Boss effect pedals for these song's:

MT-2 Distortion: Ozzy: it gets me through
    Yes: Owner of a lonely heart

BF-2 Flanger & PH-3 Phase shifter: Heart : Barracuda

CE-2 Chorus: Eric Clapton: My Fathers eyes ( Fretless )

DD-6 Delay: Aldo Nova: Fantasy & Medicine Man

I use a Jim Dunlop Bass Wah, the white one with "Q"
    on Jimi Hendrix: Voodo Chile.

With the exeption off the Bass Wah all my other effects are
    Guitar effects.

6. i have a Dunlop Crybaby 105Q Bass Wah Pedal for general use

an Ibanez TC7 Tri-Mode Chorus Guitar Pedal again for general use

an Ibanez SB7 Synthesizer Bass Pedal

a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay Pedal

and now a few weird ones

i have a Boss RC-2 Loop Station Effect Pedal in which i do a rendition of the 007 theme.

and i just recently got a talk box which it a lot of fun but i havent worked it into my live set list yet

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    No..I don't use any..and I don't much like them....

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    HERE I'M IS
    THE ZOMBIE WOOOOOOOF*

*thread

9. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    LOL, back from the dead. :D

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

...And best of all, it's a thread in the Effects forum asking "do you use effects", and the OP was very proud. :rolleyes:

:p

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Marietta, Ga
    Zombies are hot.

Hey, at least he posted his thread in the right forum.

As for me, I use a little compression from time to time. Aside from that I don't have much use for effects.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    And yet, you're posting in the effects forum. And, on a zombie woofin' thread. Perfect. ( I do likes me some nekkid zombie girls)

13. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    OP.. If you want to know why I don't use effects you can PM me.
    Sure don't want to piss-off anybody with an honest opinion on here just because they don't like it.

14. Coeball

Coeball

Aug 25, 2007
    Bath Uk
    The only effects I can get away with using are the bass big muff and boss ODB 3. I have never bought the "effects are evil" concept. No matter how many effects you have your effectiveness as a bass player still depends on your playing.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Oh grow up. This is the effects forum, if you don't like effects then why bother coming in here? It's not that we "don't like your opinion", it's that your manner of presenting that opinion was not helpful -you did not explain your reasons at all- you just came in here and pissed in our gardenias.

16. I somehow doubt you're going to get a PM....OP's last activity:

11-28-2004 02:44 PM

17. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    I gotta great big pointy fang...which is my zomby toof...my right foot's bigger than my other one is...like a reg'la zomby hoof...

18. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I like going into the Amps forum and making fun of them for lugging their useless equipment to shows when all I bring is a DI and use the stage monitors to hear myself.

19. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Marietta, Ga
    I like going onto bass forums and ridiculing people for their choice of such a silly, low-pitched, stringed instrument.

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well then, you've got it made for load ins/outs. But, you're missing out on alot too.