Do you use fuel treatment in your automobile?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by roller, Feb 15, 2022.

1. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    For you gas-powered automobile drivers, do you use a fuel system treatment? If so, what brand do you use and how often do you use it?

I used Lucas Oil's Injector Cleaner for a few years. Now, I use Redline's SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner a couple of times a year... seems to improve my mpg... keeps things running smooth.

619RBhOZabL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

tindrum likes this.
  2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Never.

I tend to drive my vehicles "until the wheels fall off", and in the past I've owned 3 cars that I've driven for more than 100,000 miles.

To pick just one example, a '91 Subaru Loyale wagon that I bought with 120,000 miles that I drove until it had 260,000 miles on the clock.

That car consistently got about 28 mpg the entire time I had it, and never lost any performance or showed any signs of engine running issues as far as I could tell. My other cars were similar.

Ive never felt the need to use fuel treatment (or oil treatment or similar fluid "cleaning" products) and have never noticed any negative results.

2strings2frets, DirtDog and JohnNash like this.
  3. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    With certain engines their may be some benefit to running a bottle of Techron or something similar through a full tank of gas right right before getting an oil change.

4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    My Dakota will hit 250000 miles later this week. I should probably do something nice for it. :woot:

5. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014

Fuel Doctors has been recommended to me. Took a punt on it the other day. Seems to be doing the trick but the engine had no faults to begin with :) I'm just being a little overcautious due to the bind we're in. Not doing many miles.​

6. IMO, I doubt they'd be allowed to sell anything for your car that'd actively screw it up. But the number of times I've been wrong today alone leads me to doubt even that.

I'm also inclined to think that any benefits such products would claim to yield are exaggerations at best. Motor oil and oil filters are subject to some pretty intense quality testing, regulated by ISOs and other standards such that even the cheap motor aster oil is guaranteed to protectyourengine well enough. What tests do these products have to go through to measure their effectiveness?

I'm not saying they DON'T go through tests and can't verify their claims, I'm just saying that I haven't looked into it and therefore don't know, and until I look through it enough I'm inclined to doubt what's written on the bottle.

DirtDog and Low8 like this.
  7. theduke1

theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Yes
    Sea-foam
    A can in each vehicle spring and fall
    (6 months between)
    Duke

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    No.

DirtDog, fdeck and MJ5150 like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    No. Neither does my drummer (auto mechanic for almost 40 years).

10. Only for my Mercury 4 stroke outboard motor. Sea Foam brand. The boat is docked in a saltwater 365 days a year so I do use additives to keep it running smoothly. I never use in my cars.
    rib.jpg

11. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    No.

12. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    A can of Seafoam every so often.

13. Swipter

Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    Phoenix
    I just use Shell, Mobile or Chevron about every 2 or 3 tank.

14. LexD

LexD

Aug 17, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: D'Ambrosio Guitars
    No. I do all the maintenance on our 5 cars. Maintenance schedules according to the FSM recommendations, and no cheap parts.

15. I ran a bottle of Techron through an old Honda motorcycle that had a gummed up carb one time.

As a regular thing on a car with no problems... no.

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    39 years as an auto mechanic here, with the last 35 years spent in the same shop.

I still say no to the additives.

17. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Data, or just "seems to"?

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My cars have consistently gone over 100K miles since I started owning cars in the 1970s. I've never used fuel additives, but I do buy major brand gas with the additives that go with those brands.

I currently have four cars with over 100K miles: a 1983 Datsun 280ZX Turbo, 2008 BMW 3-series, 2009 BMW 3-series, and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My sister has a Toyota Tacoma with over 400,000 miles. All are fuel injected; as far as I know none have used fuel additives.

The current science of fuels and oils is such that IMO fuel additives (and oil additives) have a better chance of screwing up the chemistry of those products than they do of improving their performance or extending engine longevity.

19. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Calculator says so. And also when compared to friends who have the same ride.

20. Fuel System Cleaners - Fact Or Fiction

Cut to the chase...

"The Verdict: FICTION

As John explained to us, the problem with pour-in fuel injector cleaners can be two-fold. Effective injector cleaning requires stronger chemicals than can legally be sold in stores for use with emissions-controlled vehicles, and stubborn deposits simply must be dealt with by force—and more of it than an engine’s fuel system can provide, even at 100 percent duty cycle. "Even the injectors we saw today would be passable in most cases, for everyday driving," he admits. "But in high-performance builds, especially in high-strung turbo applications and engines tuned for pump gas, clean fuel injectors are hugely, hugely important.""