Do you use more effects than your g****r player(s) ??? =)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Jul 26, 2005.

1. for all of you who play in a band with at least one guitar player!

do you use more effects than your guitar player?

My guitar player only uses distortion, i use overdrive, fuzz, chorus, delay and wah.
    maybe someone else is in this situation... :)

2. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    i dont use much effects, i like the normal sound of a bass the best. but i am wanting a delay pedal or one with delay on it, and a boss over drive distortion pedal, and that will do me, is delay any good on bass? i havnt heard it on basss before
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I once used more effects than all three guitarists in one band I was in, ahhh the good old days.

I guaging this on me having loads of singles and them having multi effects :p
  4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
  5. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Nope. My guitarist has 2 rackmount multi effects and 3 pedals (plus 3 footswitch/expression pedals for the multi's) on the floor. He's got so much going on it's often hard to tell what chords he's playing. :mad:

I've just got an MXR Bass Auto-Q and a Boss CEB-3.
  6. Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    i used to... i had one and he just used the channels on the amp... then he got a big muff, so ive got some catching upto do
  7. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I do. My guitarist only has a wah and the channel selector on his amp. I have a distortion, wah, and phaser, and soon a delay and octaver.
  8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    yep *L* I do...

One guitar player I play with is all acoustic, all the time.. no effects...

Another just uses the DSP on the Flex-tone II he has..

Another has distortion and wah..

9. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Both shows I've played with one of my bands the guitarist has used at least 1 of my pedals. The other band the guitarist uses Roland Cube with the built in effects, and I only used Wah on one song, which has now basically been dropped from the set. But I have 4 pedals at the moment, 2 on the way, and a copuple more I'm going to buy with my upcoming birthday money :D
  10. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    yeah, my guitarist only uses a distortion. they call me the more innovative one of the band :D

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

We each have only one, guitarist has boss distortion, I have the SansAmp BDDI.
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Used to. One had a Multi FX, one had a wah. I had a Morley Wah, Big Muff, RAT, and a Boss Flanger.
  13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A delay works nice on bass lines that have a lot of unsustained pauses. You can set the delay to single repeat and to follow your lines so when you stop, you can hear another bass line close behind. You'll need to get the time just right so everything sounds in sync with the beat. Some delays have tap tempo that you can use for this purpose.

You can also use the delay as an echo but I find that unless I keep the reverberations tight, the low notes will end up echoing on each other and I lose sound definition and thus, the rhythm.
  14. Hell yeah, i've always been the winner in the FX toys department in any band i've been in.
    I typically run 8-10 pedals at any one time, last guitarist was getting close with an Ibanez PUE5 multi and 3 individual FX, but lost. :D
  15. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Let's see, he's got:

Wah/Volume, Delay, Flanger, Booster (on all the time, so not really an effect), EQ

I've got:

Wah, SANSamp (on most of the time, off w/delay and wah though, and quieter parts), Overdrive, Delay, Chorus, EQ, (pedal tuner...)

So I guess one more than him. Overall I use my effects more often than he does. But that's because I'm sorta the leader of the band at this point in time, until we get a more solid guitarist.
  16. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Oh yes.. six vs one (his modeling Johnson combo does not count, right?)
    And now I have the second bass synth on the way... :D :hyper:
    Actually I am more innovative soundwise than our keyboard player with his Kurzweil using like 4 sounds of it :eyebrow:
  17. lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    yes, I do.

I use a big rack with 7 pedals and 4 rack units (including the Switchblade, that is the heart of the entire system).
    Plus a midi pedalboard (RFX midi wizard) with 4 volume pedals for CC.

my guitar player uses only a Tube Screamer and a delay.
  18. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Count me in... Used to have even more, but I am constantly foing for quality not quantity... Its just too bad most of my high quality effects are HUGE...

19. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I guess all together, I have access to 8 effects in my rig...

1. There's a scoop/shape function im my wireless receiver.
    2. Morley PB2 Dual Wah
    3. Behringer FCV100 Volume/Expression pedal
    4. Compressor built into amp (Yorkville XS800H)
    5. Limiter built into amp
    6. Tube Overdrive built into amp
    7. dbx 120A Subharmonic Rack Synth
    8. dbx 266XL Compressor/Gate
    9. BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer.

Actually, that's nine!

The lead singer/guitarst in my main gig uses just a Boss GT 3...I think I still beat out the lead guitarist too, Boss EQ, Line 6 DL4, and his Marshall I guess I have more than them combined...
  20. Me: 15 (give or take) pedals, built in octaver on one amp

Guitarist: 4 pedals (one is the line 6 filter bank), and the big board to his line 6 amp with all sorts of flangers and distortions and delays and stuff, so i donno if that makes us even or not...