1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you use the POST option of your DI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by javi_bassist, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this topic or if it would be better in the Live sound subforum, but I'm writing it here.
    In the case that you use the DI out of your amp, which one do you use, PRE or POST?

I think it would be better PRE for the sound guy (I think it's easier to handle and make a better a sound). However, I also think that it will not get exactly the tone in your head.
    In my case, I used to set it PRE with my Ashdown head, but now it's not working and I will have to use my Line6 Lowdown which doesn't have that option. It's just POST. So I was just wondering guys which one do you use?

PS I was using the Line6 before I bought the Ashdown and never had any complains. Actually, people always said good things about it. I was not aware about the PRE/POST option though xD

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  2. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Post. Almost always.

3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Most sound engineers will want Pre. What you hear in your head or on stage will be nothing like it sounds out front.
    You EQ may not work for the FOH and it will make the engineer's job harder to dial in a good sound and he wont have to dink with your volume when you change it for what you hear.
    The best way to get the tone you want out front is to talk to the engineer and describe what you want. If you have a wireless, go out front with the engineer where you can hear what he hears and help dial in your tone. If you don't, see if you can get another band member to play your bass while you go out front.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Pre. All my pedals and compressor this way

Jim Carr likes this.
  5. Always on post if I'm my own sound guy, Pre if there's someone else up front.

john m, 1954bassman and Skeptismo like this.
  6. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I have onboard EQ...and I use it...often changing it during the course of a song as the urge strikes.
    I also adjust the volume on my bass as I go from backup to lead.
    I'm a sound system operator's worst nightmare...unless he's willing to spend some time talking to me beforehand about what I do and what I want...and understands his role is to "reinforce" not "produce" the sound.

Omega Monkey, smogg, Snowglo and 2 others like this.
  7. I'm a Post guy - I use the Send/Return on my Amp for my pedal board and unfortunately cannot tune 'in silence' if it's in Pre-mode.

Michael4bass and JackANSI like this.
  8. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Post, but if the sound guy requests pre I don't have a problem with it.

TonyP-, smogg, blindrabbit and 5 others like this.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    On some amps, pre isn't all that different from plugging directly into the DI and not using the amp. If you want the sound of the preamp, go with post.

Downunderwonder, JackANSI and wcriley like this.
  10. kbr

kbr

Feb 27, 2006
    Oviedo, Fl
    I think my switch is labeled, "Do you trust your sound guy?" Sometimes I choose no. The worst part? I'm the sound guy.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I prefer just using a good quality external DI. I could patch it post-EQ if I ever needed to, but that would be pretty rare these days.

TonyP-, FlatwoundFunk and Jim Carr like this.
  12. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    If there is time for a good sound check I'll go post.

I'll go pre if its a rushed line check situation where I'm probably going to be adjusting things on my amp. I don't want my getting a workable stage sound experimentation going out the front. Although after hearing a few live recordings where I've gone pre I'd be pretty happy to go pre anytime

13. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    Post, always...always post. In my current group is a power trio (prog influenced) and I have a specific high mid-heavy sound that can only be gotten with he preamps actually effecting the signal. (Plus, with using a jazz bass, many of the sound guys immediately want to exacerbate the already natural scoop)

14. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    A poll with good turnout would come out 50/50 I'm guessing. :)

FlatwoundFunk and Blankandson like this.
  15. depends on the sound guy, totally.
    if I have plenty of time at soundcheck, then post, and talk to FOH and see what works for them.
    If it is line check 5 min before set time, then pre, and hope for the best!

16. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    There you go making sense and being reasonable again. Sheesh... some people.

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  17. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Yes, everything that Dav said. For a bass player in a loud band in a club/concert hall/festival going through a P.A..

But I'm using 'post' right now and here's why; I'm fortunate to have an ongoing gig in a stage play wherein I play in a trio. It's a set-it-and-forget-it type of situation with lots of sonic space for my bass as the drums aren't mic'd. I know for a fact that what I'm hearing from my cab next to me is exactly what the audience is hearing in the house. And it sounds consistently great every night.

18. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Always pre

FlatwoundFunk likes this.
  19. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Always pre to the point that I use a dedicated DI (Countryman) before my amp. For me personally, "amp tone" out front needlessly complicates getting a good mix, the difference in tone is marginal, and my EQ is never very consistent anyway. Pre guarantees consistency.

FlatwoundFunk, Jim Carr and nolezmaj like this.
  20. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Post, always. Mic-on-cab second (or at the same time). The amp and it's EQ is part of the tone for me. Despite how that sounds, my EQ isn't extreme at all. If the guy can't handle it, it's probably his first day ever running a board.

If a sound guy insists on pre, he better have his A-game handy for the monitor mix (or the side man better, anyway). I don't actually think I've encountered a sound guy that couldn't handle post and/or a mic, though. Worst case has been solved by "Hear this: *play a few bars* I want that sound *points to amp*, out there *points to room*. I don't care how you do it, just don't scoop the balls out of it."

If you're going to run pre, might as well leave your amp at home physically since that is essentially what you are doing signal-wise... Why risk the damage to your back or the amp/cab taking it out if it doesn't matter in your signal chain?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016