Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you use "tweeterless" cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dougray, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    here is my dilema: i use a tech21 RBI with a qsc power-amp with a Hartke 4x10 cabinet,it has a tweeter,i have 2 Lakland 55-01's with Aguilar OBP3 pre-amps,strung with d'addario"halfwounds".:alrighty..doesnt matter where i set the RBI eq or my bass eq,the treble is "harsh" especially on the D&G strings,harsh sounding treble,tryed turning the treble down which makes my overall tone suffer.the only way i can tone it down is by turning the "blend" on the RBI to middle position.
    ok,do you think it might be the tweeter in my cabinet causing the harsh treble?,cause i play at practice an old peavey head with a 2x12(no tweeter) cabinet and my bass sounds great plugged directly into the head.(bass/treble set flat) i am thinking no tweeter is the way to go?
    any info would be great.thanx in advance. :bassist:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    where do you have the presence set? on the sans amp presence is boost only so having it at 12 o'clock is not flat. FWIW, having the blend on 50% on sans amp preamps is normal for a lot of users.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You have lots of choices in tweeterless cabs, from the venerable Ampeg 8x10 to the EA Wizzy, and many in between. I own two Wizzy's and a Raezer's Edge Bass 10 (which is also tweeterless), and by and large, I don't miss the tweeter. My old Peavey 1820 got by fairly well without one as well.

That said, when you hear a really good tweeter (Bergantino, Epifani, Accugroove all come to mind), it can be a real eye opener.

4. When I used an RBI, I hated the presence knob...it seems with most everything (amps, effects, etc.) presence just boosts high frequencies. Isn't that what treble EQ is for? My settings for the RBI were thus: Drive completely off, Presence completely off, Blend at 100% BASS, bass/mid/treble to taste and master volume to control it all...with this setting, it was one of the most responsive, warm, and 'analog' sounding preamps I've ever used. You've got great basses, and unless you really need the overdrive grit that the drive control gives you, you might as well just turn it off.

I loved it until I got my best friend back...the 400+.

ps. I use a tweeterless cab, but with older cabinets with tweeters, I found myself turning them down. I was still able to find a nice (not harsh) medium.

5. My cab's tweeterless.

Only cause I blew it up, and took it out.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I use tweeterless cabs, because I find normal 15s & 12s have plenty of treble (and I LOVE clank).

7. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    the "presence "control is set at 3o'clock,but turning that doesnt really effect much-i am thinking of just disconnecting the tweeter and give that a try,and mess with the rbi eq. settings like stated above... :p

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I ersonally can't stand tweeters in my cabs. It just doesn't sound right to me.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I hate horns of all kinds. I think that they thin out the overall sound, not to mention sound like crap with distortion. I turn all mine off - yes, even in my Boogie cabs. Horns suck.

10. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Tweeters are for the guys with small B@LLS....

:rolleyes: :bassist: :bag:

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have tweetered and tweeterless cabs. I use my RBI with my tweeterless cab. I usually keep Presence around 40%, Blend around 50%, Drive around 50% (less for a high-output bass). The result is a gritty tone that's too harsh through a tweetered cab, but just right through the tweeterless cab.

12. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    There’s a reason they all sound bad. They’re cheap pieces of crap compared to the compression drivers and horns in the PA system.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

13. I wouldn't say all tweeters suck. If they're implemented correctly, they can add a lot to a cabinet's sound, IMO. When I was using an Avatar 2x10, I'd keep the tweeter off. With my Acme, I keep it up all the way, and adjust the treble on my preamp to suit the mix best. If they are integrated into the cabinet seamlessly, then you can't tell when the larger driver ends and the smaller one begins.

14. my warwick 410 pro has no tweeter :hyper:

Attached Files:

15. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I wish all bass cabinets were tweeterless. That's why I got a woody the first time I saw an Aguilar GS112NT. I don't want to hear any frequency coming out of my bass that would come out of a stinking tweeter. I even considered taking the stupid tweeters out of my Eden cabinets and puttying up the holes.

16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I just went into the kitchen and mixed up a full blenderload of Margarita mix to try and take my mind off this tweeter thing. I'm out of Tequila so I dumped in a bunch of Vodka and a whole bottle of those little red cherries. Anyway, who was the first one to put a tweeter in a bass cabinet?? If I ever met up with him I would kick him right in the b@lls!! I played for twenty years without ever having a tweeter. No soundman ever said, "We've got a problem, your bass isn't coming through at 15,000HZ, boost your treble." No one ever complained about not heariing enough string noise or amplifier buzz. When did this crazy tweeter thing start, back in the eighties??

17. yeah it sort of thin out the sound! i´ve played all sorts of cabs with tweeters(ampeg410,trace410,ebs115,swr610,peavey210) and none of them sounded good with the horn on for me.
    now i play with only tweeterless cabs and it sounds round´n punchy with alot of clank. just the way i want it.
    keep it simple sort of.
    yeah the eightees is the root to all evil. :)

18. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    yeah:what joe beets said...

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i like a good tweeter. i just dont happen to have any cabs with them now. as has already been mentioned, a good tweeter and crossover can be a great thing. you can always cut your highs. Think on this. when you record bass you generally go direct. likewise, you generally go direct into the pa when you are playing a gig big enough to require it or you are just fortunate enough to be able to do so. What do studio monitors, home stereo speakers, and pa setups all have in them?

20. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    That's so you can hear the guitars and the cymbals??