Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you vary your tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Martybass, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Hi guys,
    The thought just came to me, should I be searching for a particular tone that I like and would like to apply to every piece of new material that my band and I come up with? Or is it alright to fiddle around with my EQ for particular songs if I feel it suits it better? I've just found that now ive got my new bass I'm constantly changing the pre-amp settings (my old bass was a P-bass clone with a non-functioning tone pot) to find what I think suits the songs best.

What do you guys do? I'm intrigued.

Cheers,
    Marty

2. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I do it all the time. It's a lot easier now than before, since I've gotten a G&L, but even when I only used my P-bass, I change tones a lot. I do think tone is about 80% in the hands, but I take full advantage of that other 20% :D

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I do, but it's more of a function of setting up to cut through the mix for a particular song. If there's lots of room in the mix I like it big and warm. If it's a full on assault of sound I add some more mids and a little high to bark and cut through.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am always looking for ways to improve the sound in a song, and that involves tweakin' the instrument about. No big deal, but fun.

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    If I'm changing technique, I'll change my tone. I have one all around tone that I used for fretted, I take the mids out on my bass if I'm going to slap, and I boost the mids if I'm playing fretless. On the fretless I'll move around where I pluck the strings, too, for different effects. If I'm going for a more upright sounding tone(and there's not too many other people playing because this tone tends to not cut through as well) I'll pluck up near the neck. If I want a brighter attack and a crisper tone I'll pluck down near the bridge. I usually like to leave the amp set one way and make the changes on the bass itself. I do have an effects unit that I use from time to time, usually a subtle pitch de-tune for the fretless, or if I didn't bring the fretless and the tune would call for that, I would try to eq the fretted to sound like the mid-boosted fretless and turn on the pitch-detune.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've worked on getting a tone I like in the first place. Why muck it up for some other song?

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't twiddle knobs...if I want a different tone, I adjust what little technique I have-
    Play hard
    Play 'light'
    Play back by the bridge
    Play over the pickups
    Play over the neck
    Play with the Palm Mute
    Etc...

Maybe, maybe...add a little more bridge pickup for some things, otherwise it's 100% volume on both pickups.

8. I change "tone" constantly...the initial amp settings remain, but as was said, I vary technique, utilize the bass' eq, use my effects and tweak those... a must, imo.

9. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    +1 Great minds....

10. OK, cool. Thanks for the opinions guys, though any more would still be appreciated :)
    Marty

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    For recordings, I'll vary my tone.

For live, I usually dial a sound that I like and keep it there for the whole night. I might tweak the on-board preamp a little when I move between fingerstyle and slap.

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've been on a never ending quest for the perfect tone since I began to get familliar with the bass. I temd to stick to one amp eq setting and one bass setting-everything max. I do like to have different tones for different parts of songs. I use some effects on top of my main tone for variation. However i find alot of effects suck my tone, so i'm always trying new ones. The only one I've stuck with is the boss ODB3 for overdrive. I'm looking forward to trying the programmable Sansamp thats coming out soon.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I leave my EQ settings the same and change how i play.

14. Yes. From bad to worse. If you're looking for suggestions, ignore this post.

Mike