Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you want a -new- Shootout of 5-String basses by BP ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, May 14, 2003.

1. Yes, I'd like to read about a new 5-string BP Shootout.

80 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. I really don't care. Thanks.

18 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
  2. Sure, my interest in my SR5 started from that shootout.....I wonder howmany SR5's were sold because of this?

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    There are some nice 5 string reviews in Bass Guitar magazine this month.

:)

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bassplayer reviews leave a lot to be desired IMO.

5. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Has Bassplayer ever done a 6er shootout? If not, then they should, if so, anyone care to share the results of the shootout?:p thanks. Mike

6. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I'd like to see a "5" shootout in for the "cheapie" basses, such as the SX, Austin, Dean, Samick, etc. Make the top retail price $350 or $400 or so. I only gig with cheapies. I don't like the worry associated with leaving a vintage or expensive instrument on stage on break. Things do disappear or get knocked over.

7. yeah, a low-budget 5 shootout sounds good. if they were to do another mid-high budget one, they need to include the RB5 and the skylines, and maybe a reverend.

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    No thanks...

IMO, Talk Bass is waaay more informative than Bass Player.

Also, manufacturers tend to submit the products they want advertised, and not necessarily their best products for Bass Player shootouts. (Example: Fender got pretty good marks with a USA Jazz Deluxe, but probably would have killed the competition with a Roscoe Beck.)

9. I could see another shootout with price ranges starting around $500 going up to around $3,000. I mean, REALLY how many of us could afford the Ken Lawrence, the Smith, or the MTD they reviewed at the top end of the last shootout? And how much would those babies go for NOW?:eek:

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No thanks. I don't need any more buying impulses at the moment. Please come back after a couple of years when I have recovered from the latest 5-string purchase. :p

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'd love to see it. And I agree that they should look at the low end price range as well. But I would like to see different price ranges looked at. They could do a different price range every month. Start with 4s $150- 300, then 300- 600, 600- 800, 800-1,200, 1200- 1800, 1,800-2500, 2,500+, Then do 5s, 6s, and then go back and do fretless basses. It would be easy for them, and it could take 2-3 years worth of issues to help fill the mag.

Yes, you would have to look at it with a skeptic's eye. The guitar companies may provide an atypical instrument. Bass Player may give a better rating to a guitar company that does considerable advertising with them. But the articles would probably provide useful info about different basses.

I also don't like their rating system when they look at different basses and equipment. Most items seem to get a 4 out of 5 rating regardless of their quality. I know that it is reletively based on the cost of the bass or device, but it would be helpful to get an absolute rating also. This absolute rating could compare a poor piece of equipment with an exceptional one regardless of price.

That being said, I do like the magazine and have found it to be quite useful. I'll stop ranting now.

12. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would like to see a new shootout, as long as it was in the low to mid budget range, as that applies more to my situation.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Can I hear an "AMEN"?!?!?!?:D

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Yes you can! AMEN Brother! :D

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I dont think the've done a 6 string shootout,but I think that they should.

16. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    well for damn'er $6.00 a issue they need to DO SOMETHING !:mad:

17. What about a 4 string shootout?!! They only did the under $1,000 one. I'd like to see them do it with high end basses like they did with the 5 strings.

18. Yes

19. I agree that the rating system pretty much says, "every thing is good, just some things are better”. I think you have to read between the lines in the comment section. My method is,"if they make a comment about a produce that has the least bit of negative connotation, then you can bet it’s a real flaw".

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I understand that any BP review isn't going to be as thorough or blunt as Consumer Reports. That said, I think they're very useful... including the shootout. To be fair, BP pointed out some construction flaws in the Roscoe which might've normally disqualified it, but they left it in because of the killer tone. They also mentioned a gap in the neck pocket of the 535, and other issues here and there.

BP by design does have to be fairly neutral in its product reviews. We all have our personal rants and raves, but we take our subjective preferences into account. I rave about my 535 because of its tone and playability, but obviously, not everyone else will agree. Some people dig fancy schmalted veneered boutiquey things, others hate 'em. Same applies to Fendery type basses.

So anyway: yeah, I'd love to see another shootout. If nothing else, it's a great resource of stats. My preferred playing specs are 1-7/8" nut width and 19mm bridge spacing... I can immediately scratch the skinnies from my list, or note whether I have to pay extra for the "wide 5" option.