Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you want to coat the ebony fretless fingerboard or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nothingman78, Apr 30, 2002.

1. nothingman78

nothingman78

Feb 27, 2002
    u.s.a-l.a
    do you recommed coat the ebony fretless fingerboard or not? if you want to use roundwound string on your fretless fingerboard...

2. I wouldn't. but thats just me personally.

I coated my rosewood fretboard, but rosewood is much softer than ebony. Strung with rounds, and depending on your technique, ebony should be able to hold up quite well. It's a very tough wood.

I hate flats, but I know its better for fretless. I have a fairly soft technique with my fretless, and I string with rounds. I haven't had the slightest problem with it.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i like all my fretlesses coated - i have maple boards and macassar ebony boards. i can get a good snappy slap tone out of the coated boards, good attack. i'm not much of a fan of the non-coated boards

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i's like to try a coated board other than the peddulla's but i just like the feel of steel strings nawing away at my fretboard. i want to coat my jazz....is it hard to do myself?

5. I'm the exact oppisite of you guys.

I've got a '78 ibanez W/ a fretless maple finger board (be it a measly 4-string) and it's stripped down to naked wood.

Every 3-4 months I take the strings off and steel wool the fingerboard. But, I won't play anything but flats on it. I've tried roundwounds and nylon tape wounds but they sounded like giant springs.

BOINGBBBBOINGBUBBOINGBOING BOINGGGG
    It was so increadably inarticulate.

Also note: that I play upright 99% of the time, and the ibanez has razor-thin super-low action. I play mostly at home for theory practice. I probably haven't taken it on a gig since early february.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying leave it uncoated, you can always sand the string wear out of the fingerboard later. :D

6. Coating the board is also something I've been wondering about. If someone here has done this themselves, can you tell us how you went through with the procedure? Thanks.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Ebony boards are fine uncoated for me. Never had any wear issues.