Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you wax your warwick?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Jan 10, 2001.

1. just picked up a thumb bolt on about three weeks ago, rumour has it that i am supposed to wax it.
    any pointers, tips, or reasons that i have to do this.

2. I have a Warwick Thumb 5 (neck-through)... all of the Warwick unifinished basses (like mine and yours) are designed to be waxed every 'so often'... for me this means every time I change my strings, which translates into a couple of months for me.. you must have bought your Warwick used, becase if it was bought new it should have included some Warwick beeswax... I buy my wax at musiciansfriend.com, maybe you can find it locally. what I do is remove the strings... then I take two soft cloths, use one to apply wax to the entire body and the headstock, and another to wipe it dry... warwick says you're not supposed to wax the fretboard or neck, as your hands should keep them from getting dry... check out what warwickbass.com has to say about it, they have a downloadable user manual... Good Luck!

John

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've had one for ten years or so and haven't put anything on in over eight. Someone was talking about tung oil in a thread here the last couple of days and if you were inclined to use anything I know from other instruments this stuff works well; very durable, looks good. I think unless you live somewhere REALLY dry (and even then...) the issue is fundamentally cosmetic though. Other than a little grunge stain (maple top) around the pu where I rest my thumb my bass seems to be doing fine with the factory recommendation to wax being ignored.

4. Aren't all the maple-top warwicks already finished? Just Curious... whenever I think I don't want to wax my warwick I go over to the local guitar center and pick up on of the warwicks that's been hanging there for a year or so, never waxed... the wood is in horrible shape... besides, my bass is too great of a piece of art not to wax once in awhile...

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I dunno about other Warwicks but mine came with a wax finish, it's one of those limited edition Streamers with the f-holes. Some day I'll make a real website and post some pictures of my basses other than the deco. Maybe you'd consider it to be in "horrible shape" but it sounds great and the used look is fine by me. After all it is used. I love this bass but we're well past the fussing over cosmetics stage in our relationship. To each his own but provided a good finish was applied in the first place I really don't think it hurts the bass not keep rubbing stuff into it. My Pre's neck is sanded and hasn't seen oil for over ten years and is just fine.

6. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    That wax really stunk, but when I applied it to the bass, I always thought I was compensating for the torturing...

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i wax mine...but only because i'm pretty big into traditional field archery...i make my own bows and arrows and stuff...and the same concern arises when you're talking about the limbs of bows...after they're first built, and they are of an unfinished type, the limbs should be waxed, or oiled with boiled linseed oil once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and then once a month until the end of time. i was really parched when i found out that on returning from a strategic deterrent patrol, the wifey didn't wax my fiddle...boi was i in a hussy!! anyway, my .02...

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I apply the Warwick wax about once a month. I bought my Thumb bolt on new and it didn't come with the wax. I didn't know it was supposed to until I read the owners manual, so I called the store and bitched at them until they agreed to send me some. You can order some from Musician's Friend for about $13.

9. I own a neck-thru Thumb 4 and a Corvette Standard 5. Both have unfinished Bubinga bodies. I usually wax them once every month or two. Considering my love of these instruments and the investment involved I have no problem taking proper care of them. Since these basses are unfinished the wood needs to be taken care of so it isn't damaged by changes in temperature etc. Bare wood dries with age and this will eventually affect your tone. The reason you don't have to wax most basses such as a Fender is that the wood is reasonably protected against this by the hard finish that is applied.

Just my $0.02

10. thanks for the info, i am kind of from the jeffbonny school, i will pick up some wax but probally won't use it unless i feel like it. jnprather and cb56 i bought it new but i got it at a Guitar Center so of course i didn't get any, the best part was when i went in there and asked if they stocked any and was told "no we don't stock any but the high end Warwicks come with it." i though that was what i had purchased. i swear GC swipes all the extras.
    thanks again i guess i will get some from musiciansfried

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    hhheh heh hhhhhhhehh heh heh ... one time my mom caught me "waxing my warwick" ... hhheh hehheh hhhhhhheh

12. 14 bucks for a can of wax at musiciansfriend.com! what are you kidding. does it cost less if the label is missing?
    and yes munjibuja my mom busted me waxing my warwick a long time ago but i must say the wax was much cheaper.
    we had to walk in bare feet up two hills in the snow to get the wax, and we wrapped our feet in barbed wire to get traction, and we liked it!
    14 bucks geeez.

13. dammit munji, you beat me to the obvious immature joke. oh well. it's still possibly the best euphemism i've ever heard. i laughed out loud when i read the title of this thread.

14. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I bought my Thumb Bolt On 5 at GC and told them a week later that Mars and everyone else in town sells them with gig bag,wax,and tools included,so what's up,and they gave me the new gig bag with the zippered pouches for the shoulder straps,the wax,and the truss rod tool for $29.I paid $1200 for the bass compared to Mar's $1499,so I didn't mind.

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I would take a copy of the owners manual into the store and show them where it says that all oil finish basses come with gigbag, tools and wax and demand that they give them to you. They're ripping you off. Threaten to write a letter to Dana b. Goods and warwick.

16. Typical GC tactics: Sell you stuff that was actually included in the purchase price of your bass such as tools, polishing cloths etc. I bought a RIC 4001v63 from them because they were the only dealer around at the time and I had to really press them for the stuff I already had paid for. Now I'll only buy stuff like strings and cables from them and that's only if I'm really desparate!

17. Warwick recommend at least once a month, but I've found that I wax whenever the basses need it - i.e. when the wood has a "dry" and dullish appearance. The strings come off, the control knobs come off (makes it so much easier), and I do about 6" squares at a time. I use only the wax provided by Warwick, and although I like the pine-like smell of the wax, my band mates think it pongs, and have taken to referring to both my Warwicks as "Big Stinky" and "Little Stinky" or "Big Stinky's Brother". Oh well, perhaps I could always use "Garden Rose" flavour furniture oil...

- Wil

18. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    Well I wax my BO 6 fretless every saturday. Bought it new and the wax is I think to protect the wood from black areas where you always rub with your skin so that the wood becomes darker and darker.

But as much as I know you don't have to wax it for the lifetime, I for myself will use the wax about 3 Months and that's it.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes indeed, "waxing the Warwick" has been added to my lexicon. I will use it alternately with "roughing up the suspect."

20. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Guys I think you missed the point of my Warwick/GC story.I'm not vaunting the merits of GC vs. any other store,but I did end up getting the same package for $270 less than I could have otherwise,and all I had to do was open my mouth and speak the truth.