Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you wear a suit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Yes. Suits are cool.

43 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. Yes, to visit my grandmother, and Sunday school

11 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I wouldn't be seen dead in a suit.

9 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. I would be seen dead in a suit, but that's as far as it goes.

9 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. The now obligatory carrots option.

10 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Yup. Girls go for suits.

18 vote(s)
    16.4%
  7. i'm wearing my birthday suit at the moment

10 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Go on. Admit it.

I have four. I wear them to work.

Sometimes I just wear a sports jacket and trousers to work, but other times I wear a grey, blue or black suit.

I am a "man in a grey suit".

I have 15 ties.

I don't wear a suit when gigging. Then I wear jeans an' stuff.

I also have a Motorhead T-Shirt. But I don't wear that to work. I also don't wear it gigging.

2. I have worn a suit exactly once, unless you count Tuxes. Then it's three times. Prom, prom, and prom.

I HATE getting dressed up.

Rock on
    Eric

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I wore a suit every day for close to fifteen years, but now I can work in jeans. I'm lovin' it!

4. For my main gig (Sinatra, lounge stuff), suits are the uniform, so I put plenty of rough miles on my suits. At least it's better than the tuxes I had to wear for classical gigs...

It always feels weird on Fridays when I wear jeans and running shoes to work, come home, and throw on a suit for a gig! Seems kinda backwards to me.

5. I love wearing a suit. I love the way a well-tailored suit hangs properly even with 10 pounds of stuff in the pockets. I like the way that it automatically makes me look like less of a layabout.

Plus, as the great Billy Gibbons said, every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man.

6. Does a popcorn stained dress shirt and a tie count?

7. That's the truth! There's nothing more attractive than a guy in a well taylored suit! :D

Lisa

8. I don't get dressed up 'fur nutin'!

I guess I'm a true punk now, huh? :D:p :rolleyes:

9. I like the idea of coming home from work and then changing into a suit for the gig...

But Lisa bears me out...girls go for guys in suits...if they also shave and have clean fingernails.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I think it looks cool, especially when I'm at a gig. For some reason, I think playing full bore metal, going raging nucleo-psycho in a buisness suit. Is it a statement? I guess. What's the statment? I dunno. I just think it looks cool. :D
    I actually alternate between a full buisness suit (though in sneakers. Ain't no way I'm playing a full set in wingtips), and a pair of blue coveralls.

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I don't wear a suit a lot (I'm in university, not a lot of opportunities) but I don't mind getting dressed up once in a while.

12. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I wouldn't be seen dead in a suit...well i am only 15, but i really do not like suit's, never worn one, hopefully wont have to.

13. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    BAH! I hate them, never been in one that fit right or felt comfortable.

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Only for:

-Business engagements that require it
    -Job Interviews
    -Semi-formal occasions (holiday party, captain's dinner on a cruise, etc.)
    -Weddings, Funerals, Christenings, etc.

And I used to wear them on dates since I would always take them to a nice place. :)

Other than that, I try to avoid it. Business casual works best for me in the workplace when possible.

Formal occastions of course get the black tie treatment.

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I put yup.girls go for suits. I do wear a tux for Jazz Band & black dress shirt w/tux pants & a white tie for First Editioin band. I like wearin the tux cause a. the girls seem to like it [magic, girls get more clingy/hang on me more :D ] b. it looks better to me than white shirt & black pants ala freshman band. Tuxes don't bug me much anymore. I have 1 tux no suits. thats all

16. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I've got a wide range of suits, ties and overcoats.. They go with the job... No matter, it saves me having to think in the morning. Opens wardrobe - takes out suit, any suit, takes out tie, any tie, get overcoat, wears overcoat. Switches on brain...

Much easier than thinking about what shirt goes with which jeans.

Have done the suit bit whilst playing aswell. Good job it paid plenty.

Mind you last week I was wearing a purple boiler suit whilst playing....

17. Jiimy

Jiimy

Mar 3, 2002
    Athens AL, USA
    i bought a suit a few days ago
    i wore it to school and everybody looked at me weird
    i wore it with tennis shoes of course

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'll wear suits for casual gigs and Job interviews.

I'll probably wear them for weddings and funerals, but I haven't attended either in the past few years.

I used to work at Radio Shack, where I had to wear ties. I think I have about 15 myself. They're tucked away in some closet at my mother's house, where I don't run the risk of seeing them.

19. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I like suits. My granddad used to wear a lot of these tailor-made really expensive suits, and some of them fits me like a glove. Can we say sweeeeet?:D

20. i like suits, but that's probably because i don't have to wear them often.

make mine black, with a black tie.