Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you weigh your basses with the strings on or off?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marcau, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcau

marcau

Sep 13, 2008
    More on the weight debacle...

Strings come out to about 8oz or 1/2 a pound...

2. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You're kidding, right?

3. Register_To_Disable

4. evanatch

evanatch

Jun 19, 2011
    Do you play your basses with the strings on or off?
    :bag:
    :rolleyes:

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I take the strings off. And the knobs and the strap buttons - those are even more useless than the strings. And on the really heavy basses, I also take off the tuners and bridge. No need for them once the strings are off.

6. LOL!!! I just take off the neck. Who needs that anyway?

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

+1

If your bass weighs 10lbs and you know your strings are 1/2lb.... String free bass = 9 1/2lbs!

8. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    just weight your fingers.. .thats where all the tone is apparently

9. GregT

GregT Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Assuming it was a serious question: with strings on. As played. No strap, no cord, etc. You need a good scale to get a good weight. Post office, grocery store meat department, or the like. Something that weighs in hundreths of a pound or partial ounces if you need an accurate weight.

10. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    weighing the bass sans strings is cheating.

I just tie 25 or 30 helium balloons before weighing.

Sure, Thats cheating too, but if nobody sees it, it doesnt count. :hyper:

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    +1

12. yank the truss rod and frets as well then I suppose. The finish may also be a weight concern.:)

To the OP, I think weighing a bass with all the goodies attached is probably the most accurate way to do to it as it would represent realistically what the player can expect to have strapped across his/her shoulder.

I am curious as to what prompted this question if you would be so kind?

13. What does your bass weigh in a centrifuge? Or in parabolic flight?

14. Strings on; pants off

15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    los angeles, CA
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    i usually try to add some speed holes before weighing

[​IMG]

16. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Palm Bay FL
    I drill out the body leaving things with a swiss cheese consistency seeing as though the Swiss have some of the most precise methods of measuring things ........this is the only way to get accurate weight measurements but then do you mean earth weight or weight on another planet ?

17. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    You guys are giving me the best laugh(s) that I have had in several weeks .... THANKS!!!

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Calibrated arm. Hasn't failed me yet!!!
    :D

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Beat me to it! :p

20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    In an effort to work under the premise that there is no such thing as a bad question ... if you are selling a complete bass, as mentioned it would be as pictured, without a strap or cord. and of course the case (it has happened otherwise, especially on Ebay, where they think you want the shipping weight or have no idea why you would want the other) ... if it is wearing extras, like pup covers, ash tray, etc, then I would note if they were included, or be expecting to respond to inquiries as to if they were ...

... with all that said, method used is also something informative to add ... if you are using a bathroom scale, perhaps say whether or not it was digital, or dial type, and if you simply set it on the scale while holding the neck to keep it upright, or it you used it with the weigh yourself with/without method (hopefully several times and taken an average) ... usually readings can be quite different if not the later method ... as mentioned above, the way to get the most accurate is with a digital type scale used commercially for postage, by butchers, etc .... I actually have an older commercial digital butchers scale that I use. ... also, find out if the reading is in lbs or ounces beyond the first number, as there is a difference between 7.5 lbs, and 7 lbs 5 ounces ... as there are 16 ounces in a lb ...

... the weight may not matter to some, and may be a deciding factor to others ... so it can be a reasonable question ... if it is asked, probably the worst response, is to guess and/or say something like "oh, about average, or around 9 lbs or so" ... ummm, well, no kidding ... that means it could be an 8 pound bass, and I may want it, or a ten pound bass and have no interest ...

... in all fairness to the OP, I would rather have someone that is overly specific and concerned with accuracy respond to the inquiry should I make it on a bass I am interested in ... just recently on here I inquired on an American Standard that was for sale that the OP clearly stated, as a matter of fact, that the bass weighed 7.5 lbs ... concerned with the accuracy, I inquired as to the specific method used to come up with that, and after details arrived at a more accurate weight of 10 lbs ... good thing I asked and clarified, or there could have been a serious issue should I have followed through with my first inclination to pull the trigger quickly ...

to the OP, the only way that you weigh a bass without strings, if you are selling just the body or neck, and then you should specify whether it is loaded, etc and to what degree ... if you want to get into more specifics here, then you can mention if the neck plate and screws go with the body or the neck, and if they are included in the measurement, more often than not, they get missed ...

... it may be overly detailed info for some, but as a courtousy to someones inquiry, there is no such thing as a bad question ... and I prefer to know too much up front, rather than to be surprised on the other end ... JMHO

21. EatADeadGoat

EatADeadGoat

Aug 29, 2010
    /thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.