1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you/will you/have you inspired your child(ren) to play (musical instruments)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Popbumper, May 27, 2011.

1. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Curious. This discussion is inspired partly out of personal experience, partly out of a thread I read yesterday where someone was saying their Dad was "forcing them to play bass".

I grow up with a piano; my mother played. I have no interest (wished I had), though we enjoyed the times she played, especially during Holidays.

Circa 1969, my mother takes me to a music store. I stand in front of a massive wall littered with band instruments (memory still clear in my head), and am told to "pick one".
    I choose clarinet (crowd boos :eyebrow:). J/K, I don't regret the many, many years of marching band, orchestra, private lessons. I am infused with music; it is part of me.

I pick up guitar at 20 years of age and learn a handful of chords, do a little picking, and try some writing. Scribble some notes, attach some prose, and within a year convince myself that I am "too old" to ever learn. Talk about your bad decisions!!!

Fast forward. I now have an 11 year old son. Having played "Rock Band" for a year, the kid smokes the drums. Incredible. OK, they're not real - so let's get him a real set. We buy him a Yamaha DTXplorer set. He loves it - and is very talented. He and Dad jam together (me on bass), both novices but willing to learn, with a great bonding experience.

I might add - my wife has played clarinet also for many, many years, and also self-taught as I did years ago on guitar (but did not stick with it).

So, I have a G&L and Fender bass, he has a Yamaha drum set - and last night I bought a cheap used Epiphone Junior electric guitar, and restrung it. Sounds great for a cheap instrument. I sit down to mess with it for a few minutes, family in tow. My son looks at me and says "can I try"? BINGO......

Now, my point in all of this is, my son shows natural ability, and has parents that have been involved in music all their lives. I have equipped him for SEVERAL musical possibilities (and he is also learning the saxophone in school). Do you, or have you ever equipped your child to expand their opportunities in music? Why or why not?

Chris

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

All my kids play music. I only took up bass a couple years ago, but I have a long history of dabbling in different instruments -- mandolin for campfires and singalongs, played sax in high school, a little piano, stuff like that. My wife plays classical guitar and also strums along for singalongs too.

In my kids' old school, they learned recorder in music class. About four or five years ago we picked up an electric piano just to have for the house; my oldest started to take her recorder music and figured out how to play Pachelbel's Canon by herself. At that point we realized she needed lessons, and she's been taking them ever since. Getting her to practice the classical music for lessons is a bit of tooth-pulling, but she's always figuring out some pop song on it, which is fine by us.

Daughter #2 also took piano for about a year, decided she didn't like it. She now plays guitar, somewhat intermittently, for fun, but has clearly indicated that she does NOT want to stop her lessons.

My son is a bit like me -- plays sax in the school band but will tinker with just about anything we have around the house -- the piano, the drum set, my bass, whatever.

Our littlest is only 3 but she still loves to bang a drum or get up beside her sister at the piano.

I think the key thing is mostly to give them the opportunity, push them just a little, and give them the opportunity to say they want to stop. For example, when daughter #2 said she wanted to quite piano, I think it was January or February, we told her to stick with it until the summer; if she still wanted to quit in June, she could quit. She accepted that. That way, we weren't "forcing" her to play but we didn't let her just give up because she was temporarily discouraged.

3. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    2 boys. 1 plays guitar, the other, drums.

4. rosanne

rosanne

Sep 30, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    My son plays drums, guitar, keys and bass. Does all his own recording too. Writes, sings etc.
    It was entirely his choice - he asked me one day to rent him a drum set, and he just took off from there.

My daughter does not play any instrument though I had her take piano lessons as a kid (my son didn't want them) and a few years ago gave her a guitar. My mistake with her was that I discouraged her violin playing because I could not stand the screech of it. If I had been more patient I think she might be playing now.

So I guess the morale of this story is to let your child take his/her own musical path, and encourage it, whatever instrument it is.

5. madurolover

madurolover

May 21, 2011
    Tampa Fl
    Mine all want to play but they lack the patience of practice. Piano is "boring", bass has no harmony, too much to learn guitar but drums would be fun. I started as a drummer and I am not sure I want to live through the "practice" like my far did. He tells me Smoke on the Water still rings in his head and he is 80. I am seriously thinking about the drums. I would not mind getting the basics back to do fill ins. The electronics don't appeal to me.

I am trying to innspire them by bringing them to gigs but we dont play Lady Gaga. Just learning CFG songs on keyboards, bass and guitar is easy if I can find one 12 year old would enjoy. Southern Cross is too boring

6. I play many instruments, but the violin is where the money is. In HS I pulled in $50/hr - in the early 80's.

A lousy violinist can easily make more money than a good guitar player - and with far less time on the gig and better hours. But it takes years of practice just to get to being a bad violinist, and a few more years to get up to lousy.

My kids are surrounded by music and instruments in the house. Orchestra will be mandatory till HS graduation - just like math and english. No pressure beyond regular doing of homework, but quitting is not an option. After graduation it's on them as to whether they ever touch the thing again.

7. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    My daughter plays the flute, violin, ukulele, piano, and recently started to show an interest in the drums as well. She started with the piano at age 5 and currently at 11 she "dreams of playing music for a living". I love music and I'm glad my daughter shares that passion with me.

8. My son showed an interest in the drums, so we bought him a set. Found an instructor for about a year but then we moved and he was happy playing along to Dark Side of the Moon and some other Pink Floyd stuff (his favorite band). He played them consistently for about 3 years but lost interest when he got interested in other things. It got me back into music after having stopped playing anything for about 20 years. With school winding down, will get him back to playing a couple times a week for the summer to find out if he gets back into it or is really ready to move on. Fortunately, he likes music and happens to like classic rock.

9. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

I played a few instruments (piano, flute, piccolo, alto sax) as a kid, but parents were not supportive, so the only lessons I had were at school. I picked up bass and tin whistle a year ago.

I wanted my kids to have more opportunity so they were encouraged to play and sing at an early age. As a result:

Daughter #1 - percussionist - drums, marimba, anything you can hit to make a note
    Only Son - guitar and bass
    Daughter #2 - clarinet, bass clarinet, oboe, flute, piccolo, piano, violin, coronet, alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax, and bassoon
    Daughter #3 - coronet, trumpet, french horn, baritone, valve trombone, and piano

The two youngest girls are also talented vocalists.

It's rubbing off another generation, too. The two eldest girls have kids (5, 3 and 2) and the grandkids are already being encouraged to play and have several instruments.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging, offering opportunities, and giving them a little nudge. Making it fun went a long way with my brood to keeping them involved.

10. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Around the age of 15, my son showed some interest for guitar. He only persued it for about a year, but in that year I was surprised to find what a good ear he he for figuring things out. Then he got into computers....and girls! Hasn't touched a guitar since.

He's now 28 with a wife and a 3 year old son.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There are very few "thou shalt" pronouncements I've ever made to my daughters, but one of them was: "When you get to Jr. High, you WILL play an instrument. I don't care what it is, but you pick one and I'll get it for you."

The oldest daughter started on clarinet but switched to guitar - and still plays a bit. The younger one took trumpet, and hasn't played since she got to high school.

But I believe that both their lives were enriched by playing music, and I'd do it again. In the long run, I think they both benefit, and I wouldn't be surprised if the younger one comes back to pick up her trumpet and coronet in a few years. It happened with my younger brother.

12. jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Mar 30, 2011
    Queens
    no kids of my own but i have 2 cousins, they are brothers, 9 and 11 i think...

they would both come by all the time and beg to play my basses, guitars, and keyboards... they would both always gravitate to a certain instrument, 9 year old to the keyboard and 11 year old to the guitar... so i went out and bought them their own and paid for about 4 or 5 months of lessons until their parents took over the payments, but they are both awesome, every time i go over they are all like "JIMMY LISTEN TO THIS!!!" lol

the 9 year old is a piece of work... i went over a few weeks ago and he comes to me and says "i think i want to learn violin now also" lol which we all know means "jimmy, can you buy me a violin?" :p

Can't wait to jam with them one day