1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you work in a large warehouse retail store??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The reason I ask is I'd like to know how many manhours are scheduled to the maintenance/janitorial needs of your company per week. I want to compare this to my "warehouse" experience.

I'll divuldge more info later.

thanks for your help.

2. jon118

jon118

Apr 19, 2008
    I used to, we only had the cleaning guy come in once a week as far as I know. Of course things like trash were taken care of nightly or pressing cleaning, but most of the stuff only got cleaned once a week.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I used to work at a costco.

There were generally about 3 janitors running around at any given time from 9-9 on most days.

4. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I work at Fleet Farm, dunno if it really counts as a warehouse store, it does sell animal feed (farm animals) by the 50lb bag and has a yard full of farm and lawn stuff. We lost our full-time maintenance guy, now we only have part-time people.

5. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i work at a CD WAREHOUSE in sandy springs. :D

actually i live at the cd warehouse

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ok, here is the thing costco likes to only allocate 100hrs per week to the entire maintenance staff. we have 1 full time person and two part timers. I get between 27 and 35 hours and the other guy works about 20 hours.

our full time guy is constantly burdened with fix-it jobs and other projects. he usually works from 4am-1230pm and the store usually opens at 10am. he at least helps with scrubbing the floors DAILY. if he's working alone (a couple days a week) his first 6 hours is usually dedicated to cleaning bathrooms, offices, breakrooms AND floors. if there are two people on he can usually get a couple of hours of HIS fix-it projects.

me and the other part timer try to cover the opening and closing cleaning on the weekends.

during a regular morning the stocking staff have pallets all over the place along with plastic wrapping and cardboard debris up and down many aisles. this tends to inhibit the floor scrubbing.

GETTING TO THE POINT, maybe...

how many hours per week are designated to the maintenance department at your warehouse store?? do you have a dedicated "skilled maintenance" person?? do the demands of management seem unreasonable most of the time for the number of people and hours that the maintenance staff work??

I guess I'm venting, but I'd really like to know some real numbers from other warehouse stores. fleetfarm, home depot, sams club, super targets, walmarts, etc LARGE retail stores.

thank you, keep the input coming....

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    At Costco corporate policy is that you have to work a minimum if 25 hours if you're part time and a minimum of 40 hours if you're full time.

Your Costco sucks, but then again, so did mine. At least mine was properly staffed.