Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you work in the IT Industry

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Yes, I am a paid nerd

40 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. No, but I am still a geek

13 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. No, I'm wierd in a different way

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just curious as to how many TBers work in the IT industry. There's plenty of PC talk around here, and many folks come here with their computer problems or website issues. I know there's some knowledgeable folks here.

Used to be a techie, then became a network nazi, and now I'm a code warrior.

Are you an IT professional? If so, what do you do?

2. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I am a MCSE and MCT amongst many others certs that I have. I teach adults who are changing careers how to become network administrators.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i'm an MCSE/CCNA plus others and i do certification engineering now. i used to do network engineering and IT support.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Where you been Veg?
    Bears had a good season, and you and Golden Boy were hardly around to share it with.:smug:

BTW, I'm an MCSE too (for NT4 :eek: )

5. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hah, yeah, kind of jipped you on that.

I have been on a huge poker kick since late summer. Spent most of my free time either playing online, or studying it. I didnt give up music, or my band, just didnt devote as much time to it as I have in the past.
    Now that the novelty of poker has worn off a bit, I am starting to devide my free time between poker and music a bit more evenly.

So, go ahead gloat about the Bears. I fear that the Packers have hired a bad head coach and we will be looking up in the standing at the Bears for a while.

I really hope I am wrong about that last point.

I got my first MCSE in NT 4 back in 98. Obviously I have kept up to date with them and have it for 2000 and 2003 as well.

6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'm a Systems Administrator specializing in Lotus Notes/Domino administration and design.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    MS, Cisco, RFID, Wireless, and security for me. I design and build data, voice, and converged networks most of the time, and maintain our company network the rest of the time.

I'm totally digging VoIP and RFID. I may let the MS stuff slide to focus on network infrastructure.

-Mike

8. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sort of... I'm a PACS Administrator at the University Hospital here. PACS is digital diagnostic imaging. A lot of my work is networking oriented. I do PC support, network troubleshooting, and some cisco switch programming (change v-lans, etc...). For certs I have A+, Net +, and MCP in Windows 2k. I've also taken classes for CNA and CCNA mostly just for the learning experience. One of these days I'll get around to the MCSE and maybe CCNA, and Linux +.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    NOC tech for a small CLEC (Telecom) We have a pair of OC48 in the house and service most of New Jersey's "Verizon Land". I play with Cisco, Adit, Adtran, etc. I babysit the entire network and customer base alone from Midnight till 8 am.

no fancy GUIs either. All SSH from a couple FreeBSD boxes via SecureCRT (Mmmmm.... tabbed SSH client...)

but I do run MS remote desktop to my home machine to listen to my personal MP3 collection :bassist:

10. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Help Desk / Tech Service QA dude.....

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm planning on it. Might be a bit of a suicide mission for me.

Actually, I'm taking my Cisco prep class notes as I'm typing...not relaly interested in it right now, so its like whatever at the moment. If I manage to actually stop being lazy and do some work, I might be able to pull off 2.5 semesters in the last 15 weeks of school, but I doubt it. I don't know if I'm going to regret it though, because all this work for...a 3 year cert.

12. I'm a hardware nut mostly. I can enough with software to be comfortable with most everything; but, I'm not into the whole programming scene. Maybe when I have the time to learn it, it won't seem so bad.

13. Help desk. I take phonecalls from angry people who's computers don't work. I say "Shut up, push in the power button on the tower, hold it in for 5 or 10 seconds, it'll take longer than you think it does. Did it shut down? Good. Now start it up. Good. Good bye."

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    nice customer service skillz d00d :meh: and folks wonder why the industry has out soursed to India ;)

(I'd been fired before I hung up back when I was in the help desk trenches)

15. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Close, I'm working on Supderdome chipset design.

The complexity of high end servers is amazing. The whole design evolution is crazy. It's amazing to realize these things used to be made with tubes or even gears and motors. And then now there are machines with 128 processors that aren't much different in size than a refrigerator.

I used to not have much respect for the IT industry. I thought it was all just switches and hubs, but now I realize some of stuff you guys are trying to do. It takes skill to set up an efficient network or grid that can handle the data required for most modern day situations.

I wonder how many guitar players are in tech fields?

Bryan

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    3 of my last 5 as well as my last 2 keyboardists

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Just wanted to point out that there are over twenty unqualified acronyms in this thread so far. No wonder the rest of the world has such trouble understanding you guys. :D

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    See what I mean?

Can anybody tell me what language this is written in, please? ;)

19. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas

After analizing it I am going to have to go with MLA. MLA can be difficult at times even to those who are used to TLA. Even worse, that post is some kind of hybrid of MLA/TLA.

If this thread is confusion you should try reading tech documents. People just make these things up as they go.

Bryan

20. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas

Thats interesting. I am always currious about the personalities of musicians. I wonder the most common day gig is for the weekend warrior?

Bryan