1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you worry about potential Craigslist killers?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Swampish, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    So, I was responding to someone's slam on how Craigslist operates and I had indicated that my transactions on CL and Kijiji have always gone well. However, I also said that when I go to try a prospective bass, I always wonder if the seller is a psycho/serial killer. In fact, I'll message my wife with the address that I'm going to and tell her, "If I don't come back, avenge me (or have the kids do it)!". The rule of thumb is that you should meet in a public place, but it's kind of hard to try a bass out through an amp at the food court of the local mall. Sometimes I bring my brother along as a wingman, but then you kind of feel that it might freak out the other party.

Anyone feel the same sense of dread going to visit a prospective seller or buyer?

mikeyjm2 likes this.
  2. I do now...

Seriously, I have done ok with craigslist, but I’m also 6’1” and 275.:D And, I seldom go to something like that alone. My wife is often with and has her phone at the ready or, if nothing else, if I meet them during the day, my work van has gps and someone will notice I’m not in touch pretty quick.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    SirMjac28, spaz21387, tmw and 3 others like this.
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    If I have to meet under a bridge or in an alley ... that's a game changer. ;)

4. I’d say play the odds. Chances are good it’s just somebody selling a bass and very slim that it’s a serial killer. I would hope the serial killers are “selling” guitars too, because we could use a few less guitarists in the world.

5. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    I wish I was 6'1" and 275lbs...my 5'6" 155 lbs is OK for running, but bad knees make that problematic.

6. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    LMAO!!

7. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: i do the same exact thing.

i'm not worried though. i'd say 80% of the time i'm alone meeting up, but when i meet the other person, they'll almost always have someone sitting in their car too. luck of the draw i guess.....

Swampish likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Like anything else, use common sense.

Serial killers are just EVERYWHERE.... :nailbiting: :sorry: :wideyed:

9. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Suddenly, Craigslist is the least of my worries...

Kubicki Fan and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Do you worry about potential Craigslist killers?

You mean like... thrift stores, and such? They employ way more serial killers there, than you'll ever meet off CL...

... stay away from the fitting rooms, with the flickering fluorescent bulbs, too.

spaz21387, SactoBass, Inky13 and 5 others like this.
  11. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Problem is, I look better in bad lighting...

StyleOverShow, pcake and Spidey2112 like this.
  12. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I don't worry about killers, but I do everything I can to reduce my chances of being robbed. I always meet in a public place (usually Starbucks), and if I'm the seller, I never let anyone come to my house to try something. The last time I needed to demo an amp before selling, I used the clubhouse area at our townhouse complex. That way, I could set it up and let the buyer try without him knowing exactly where I lived.

I agree - you're probably a bit safer dealing with musicians, but I've had friends tell me some super sketchy stories about people selling other items (concert tickets, electronics, cars, etc). Regardless, you can't be too careful.

13. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I always keep a little back up in my back pocket and let someone know where I’m going. I found a seamstress on CL and I’m taking some pants to her today. This person didn’t think twice about giving out their home address and number and honestly that makes me nervous. So if you guys don’t hear from me later.....we’ll you know.

BuffaloBill and Swampish like this.
  14. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Yeah, when it's non-music gear, I do the same thing (funny, Starbucks seems to be a fave). I met some dude at a very sketchy Jamaican patty restaurant to buy a used iPhone for my daughter. All went well, but my daughter seemed more excited about the patties that I brought home than the phone (they were actually really good)! More of a hassle with an actual instrument, though. Accessing an amp is when it becomes a bit of a pain, your common area makes a lot of sense. I suppose I could bring some powered headphones and plug directly into the bass, that way I could at least test the electronics and it would be more feasible in a public area.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    TheReceder likes this.
  15. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I feel kind of bad, I usually try to look the serial killer part when I go to buy. I figure if the guy that's selling is a legit serial killer, he might ask me for my SK Discount card. ( I keep that next to my mensa card. ;))

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

all the serial killers i've known were drummers, so: i don't give transactions with other bass players a second thought.

17. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Concerned yes, but I'm licensed to carry--so if someone wants to chop me up and broom me into their crawlspace, I can at least make it worth their while....;)

Kubicki Fan, dcr, FNHScar17s and 2 others like this.
  18. spore

spore

Jul 27, 2016
    For casual stuff it all good in my book.
    I'm young, i've grown up in Argentina and Miami and you just learn not to take poopie from people.
    The fact I have a 1911 with me might give me some sort of confidence. hahaha

In terms of cars and motorcycles I've gotten burned, and then the title didn't check out.
    I was in a really grey area with that, do i junk it? sell it? part it out?

If I'm buying a 2500 guitar from a dude who said he got it as a gift... With no proof of purchase, who's father in law gave it to him... immediately offer 40% of the value and when his face is considering it you know it's HOT.

But if you're buying a 300$ MIM then why are you worrying about that? You could get your hands on a USA thats hot for 300 :p

I would meet at a bank or at a police station, they have a designated office for sales and the such, and for you to be in the clear (an officer told me to to this), ask whether it was stolen. With that you can prove you didn't know and fight to get your half of the bargain back if you end up getting in trouble for buying a stolen guitar etc.

mikewalker likes this.
  19. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Yeah, I feel a few different dreads every time. Sometimes, I'll "have car troubles" if I don't like the vibe of the neighborhood. All but one xaction I've ended with a jokey "thanks for neither robbing, raping, nor killing me! Haha!". One dude fully refused to bring a really collectible bike out from his basement, insisted that if I wanted to see it, that was where I was going to see it. Really messed up dude.

20. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Actually, years ago I decided to not go to an audition because I had this overwhelming feeling that it was a setup and they would rob me. To this day, I do not know WHY this feeling came over me. It was the first and last time this happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.