1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do your band members prefer you playing a different bass or prefer a different tone than you do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

just curious about your experiences/thoughts as tonight was a weird jam with my rock cover band....

We play everything from Stone Temple Pilots to the Eagles to Pearl Jam to Sublime to Johnny Cash, etc. I am lucky enough to own a few great basses and I like to bring them all out from time to time as I love playing them all.

In any case, I started with my new to me Ken Lawrence 5er and really couldn't get the right sound out of it initially. Too trebly, didn't cut, the B string was too boomy, etc. I switched after a few songs and grabbed my Valenti 5er. Tonal heaven to me. The Nordy Big Singles and Nordy pre cut thru anything. Truly a killer rock bass.

After a break, I actually figured out how to EQ the KL and it sounded as good (but different) as the Valenti and I played it for a bunch of songs loving every minute. Great rock tone out of a goofy looking singlecut!

After mentioning all of the above to my band over a beer, they all said that they much preferred the KL before I changed the EQ to the Valenti as well as the "properly" EQed (to me) KL tone. :woot:

This was very interesting to me. I asked them why they liked the bass and EQ I started with and they agreed it sat in the mix better in their opinion.

In any case, again they all also agreed that my Fodera 5er (it was at home) sounded noticeably better than the Valenti or KL and really wished I played it from now on. I love my Fodera, but to me an active Jazz 5er (my Valenti) is a better (maybe easier from an EQ standpoint) fit for the tunes we play. Maybe I am nuts, but I know what I like (i think)!

Any similar experiences?

loend68 likes this.
  2. I have 2 basses and recently brought both to a rehearsal. I switched basses depending on what I thought were the needs of the song. At one point though they said.....can you just play your other one?
    Soooo Ibanez thumbs down, G&L thumbs up, as far as the bandmates are concerned.

MattZilla likes this.
  3. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    I argue with my guitarist all the time about which bass I should be playing in which songs... He can get f$&@3d

hintz, leto, birminghambass and 3 others like this.
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I couldn't be bothered with that either. If a guitarist told me to "play a Jazz for this song and a P for that song" or similar, we wouldn't last too long.:***:

I bring two basses to every gig and only switch if we play a set or a few songs downtuned or if I use a fretless for a few. Switching basses multiple times between songs? No thanks.:cool:

5. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Yes, I liked the MIA P, somehow ended up playing a VM Squier J. Great sounding boat anchor that it is.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Our singer hates it when I bring any other bass to a gig but a Fender. Nobody else has much of an opinion, although our drummer said the cheapo Steinberger copy I used to have looked bad in an oldies band. Eh, I was sick of it anyway ;) But other than our singer, they just leave me to my own devices and don't really care about anything except if I'm too loud.

tbz, hintz, BrewsterRooster and 3 others like this.
  7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Other than a dislike of my Modulus, just because it's graphite and pretty wood which is apparently a no-no when playing rock or blues, they don't seem to mind what I play or how I sound. The only complaint is I don't play loud enough, to which my answer is how about you guys turn down a bit.

comatosedragon, Joedog and Baird6869 like this.
  8. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    When it's my turn to play on the worship team, the others either have no opinion or the prefer my SR500F to my EB3 copy--especially the sound guys.
    They find it easier to get a good mix with that one than the EB3 copy

9. Our singer prefers the scooped sound of the bass, which I tell him gets lost in the mix in our band situation.
    Guess that's how he hears it in his head...

10. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Our band loves my Peavey foundation just shows you different ears.

comatosedragon likes this.
  11. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Almost always gigged with a P or some variant of a Fender P. Never had any issues, complaints or requests for something different. I can get a lot of sounds out of a P, and I used a P for all kinds of music from straight up punk rock to funky stuff to covers of all kinds.

However, I went through a difficult financial period around 1999-2000 and had to sell nearly all my gear. I was asked to play in a pickup band doing a Neil Young tribute.

All I had was a cheap Samick P-bass copy. I could not get a decent sound out of it and the other people in the band were pretty vocal about it.

Luckily the pedal steel player had an old MusicMan Sabre he let me borrow for the shows. Worked really well and sounded killer.

I probably could have slapped a new pup and wiring harness into the Samick and made it decent. It played well enough and was finished okay...just the stock pickup and electronics were really anemic.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm sure a lot of folks on here will tell you to tell the singer to get stuffed, but not me. Never understood why so many musicians resent input from band mates. They're quite happy to dish it out but can't take it. Going through something like that in my band right now, as I seem to be the only one in the band who can take it without throwing a big hissy fit.

13. Well, I can relate to the Op...
    I've been gigging with my Pedulla Rapture as my main bass. the band loves the tone, but more so, they tell me I play better when I am hammering away at the Pedulla!
    I bought a RIC a few years ago and at first, they were all liking it, that is until I plugged it in and started playing. They never liked the sound and they also suggested that it looked to them, that I was struggling playing that bass. They were right! I never did get that bass to set up the way I wanted and as a result, I never felt comfortable playing the RIC... which is now gone!
    I picked up a Moon Jazz bass, loaded it with Sadowsky single coils and brought it to rehearsal. After going through a few tunes, my guitar player, who is a real tone junky, looked at me, smiled and said, that's the best tone you have had, always play that bass!
    I actually play either the Pedulla or the Moon almost exclusively now... but not because the band "insists", but because I play better on either of them!
    Fishheadjoe

PS... just wait till I show up to rehearsal with my Yammy SVB! That should get some reactions!

14. Hence the 410 all of the time!

15. The singer, guitar player in the group that I am working with has said that I should be using a 4 string bass instead of the 5 string that I have.. I have decided that I am going to use a 4 string bass.. just that it will be BEAD, because I have yet to have used the G string at all!

wintremute likes this.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I took my Peavey Fury P to practice once. It was not met with a friendly reception, complaints and threats to my health if I brought it again. I bought the bass to mod so I was not heartbroken but it was pretty funny as my mates had never said a bad word about one piece of my gear prior, and I have brought in a lot of new gear.

My bandmates prefer my Fenders everytime, something that is pretty consistent from band to band. I prefer to play my fretless and while they love the tone, my mates just prefer the definition of a fretted bass. Once I switched back to 4s, I was told to bring my Carvin for a while. While my guitarist liked the tone, he really just wanted a B string to go with his B string.

17. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    ive had bands tell me certain basses sit in the mix better and it's usually complete BS. until you record and listen back they don't know anything about the mix. I've had to do this recording playback on multiple occasions so everyone can really hear what is happening. I did a bunch of recordings with a blues band and after every take they would say there is too much bass and cut me out almost completely until I was finally over it and walked over and cut the bass from their guitars and BAM fantastic mix. where you sit in the mix depends on waaaay more than just your bass

Templar and seansv like this.
  18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    My band is at it's full potential when the singer (who also plays guitar) feels her needed space in the mix and this is understood/accepted by all as the key to the optimal delivery of our music to the audience. So for me it goes w/o saying that whatever we do to reinforce/support her - we're in like Flint. Luckily my specific input is foundational and as long as I don't miss a timing or note, I can just concentrate on feel and dynamics in the mix - "my tone" or "my volume" are never mentioned because I realize where both need to be and understand it's about her voice and our backing it. All the fussing beyond vocal levels is guitar-based, at least in our band.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    jallenbass likes this.
  19. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

My band mates said that they like the Zon Sonus Custom 5 string over my Sadowsky Metro HPJ 4 string, and I'm not usre why.

I din't really have a preference, I favour the P sound on both, and I thought the Metro would do a better job, so who knows?

The Zon is lighter, so my left shoulder is a little happier after 3 hours or so.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    They've even got better about that once I demonstrated that I turn up louder with a 410 ;)

99Z3 likes this.