Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do your neighbors encourage you???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sn0wblind, May 18, 2001.

1. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Last night my neighbor was over, and asked why he had not heard that "riff" that I play all the time???

I asked "what riff", and he hummed a few notes, and it turned out it was Anesthesia-Pulling teeth!!!!

MAN IS IT EVER THE GREATEST FEELING WHEN YOUR NEIGHBORS ENCOURAGE YOU TO PLAY LOUDER!!!!!

I taught my 5 year old sister to play the Iron Man song riff on harmonica, which also rocks!!!!!!!

anybody else get encouraged, or insulted????

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No, but if neighbor incentive were essential to musical development, there would be no drummers and a lot less accordionists.

Will C.:cool:

3. PuNk BaSSisT

PuNk BaSSisT

May 1, 2001
    Canada
    Once me and my guitarist where jammin in my garage and a neighbour came over and said "Hey, at least your not vandalizing stuff like most teenagers"

I dont know wether to take it as a compliment or not?????

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My neighbors encourage me? LOL!

One of my neighbors plays drums and tours with second tier name country bands. He has a studio in his house, but there is still "bleed through" on sound, especially the bass drum, bass and guitars.

Well, my other neighbors have been pretty nasty with him. Also they don't like it when all the cars of other band members crowd the street.

I try to be more tolerant, because heaven knows I played in bands that must have driven neighbors crazy. The only positive feedback I ever had was one time my blues band was rehearsing in the guitarist's living room and people walking by on the street outside stopped and danced!

5. well all my nieghbors are senior citizens and the first time we played there, nobody bothered us, but the second time we had one of our neighbors threaten to call the cops if we didnt turn it down

no real problem, we just dont play at my house anymore

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Fortunately enough, my next door neighbour is a drummer!

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my neighbors inspire and encourage me with their mediocrity. i see them get up every day and go to their jobs in the crush of traffic, and then come home in the crush of traffic too late to do anything but eat dinner and go to sleep, the best hours of their days going towards someone else's wallet.

that's some of the biggest encouragement i've ever gotten.

8. How coincidental, My neighbor called my landlord on me tonite.......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My landlord and I are best friends since freshman year of high school.....

So I turned it up a little.......

9. When one of my bands would rehearse at my place, the cops would be around all the time. So bad, my folks would sit home, when the cops arrived, the cops would get a blasting. one time the guitarists mum comes storming out and said tp the cops "well at least they're not on the street doing drugs or breaking the law"... hehe the pigs couldn't argue and drove off.

We are lucky, the guy next door was like "yeah i sometimes sit out the back and listen to you practice." which is kinda freaky but cool. So when i practice in my room, i seen the security lights go on next door and someone wandering around...hmmmm

Merls

10. My neighbors constantly encourage me. . .to get soundproofing. :D

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [​IMG]

Wait a minute, I love my job! :D

Nevertheless, I'd love to have a little chinwag about your job sometime. Just FMI.

Will C.:cool:

12. If I ever practiced loud enough for my neighbors to hear me, then...
    My grandmother would go deaf
    My grandmother could very well have a heart attack
    I'd probably break half the stuff in my room before I got loud enough for my neighbors to hear me.
    :D

Besides that, the guys in the house next to me are real arses who complain when we have guests over and their cars crowd our driveway, but when they have guests over they have about twice as many cars crowding their driveway and ours.
    Feh. Poop heads! :D:p

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I live in a dorm room (well I did, I'm home for the summer) and my girlfriend lived next door and she loved in when I practiced. But her roommate didn't, and she called the RA on me. But that's ok, because it turns out the RA plays bass too! One time when she got complaints, she came down and jammed with me!

14. :D

cool!! :)

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, my neighbors are quite aways away from me, so its not that bad. Plus, my "big" amp (fender bxr-60 :rolleyes: ) isn't at home that much anyways, so I always use my bro's old guitar amp to practice.

16. my neighbor, .....i only really have one, is way cool, and shes @ 75+ years young. .....never called the cops or even asked me to turn down,....sometimes im jammin @1 am. she claims she cant hear me at all! wow! im using a mesa 400+ stack usually!

17. Thats cause she probably can't hear you for real dood!! :p "aye! deary?! wha! speak up!"

:D

Merls

18. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    A while back I was jamming in the living room, playing teen spirit. We had three guitarists, me on bass and a drum machine and we were all amped up. Next minute this guy knocked on the door and so we stopped playing and answered it. All he said was "You're s**t hot, but I play meaner!" That left us all a bit confused as to exactly what he meant.

19. My neighbour (who's female, and a Baptist Minister - yes, true...) tends to sunbathe topless. Naturally I have to take frequent glances over the fence, just to make sure that other neighbours won't get corrupted by the spectacle, should they too happen to glance over the fence.

Errr, does that qualify for encouragement?

Hmm.................

Rockin John

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when i have to work, i deal with it too - atlanta has the WORST traffic and the WORST smog in the US - i've driven in LA, and it's CAKE compared to i-285.

but even if i'm working, i'm working towards something - getting some money to support my band habit ;). i see so many people around me living and working for no real reason. oh, sure, they say things like "i have to pay for my house" or "i have a car payment" but these are really excuses to give their work lives meaning - watch if they don't get a more expensive house and a more expensive car before the old ones are even paid for. or they say "i like my job, it's challenging and offers me an opportunity to learn" and yet the biggest challenges and opportunities for learning and self-improvement are lost spending the best 10 hours of 5 days out of 7 doing what someone else wants.

it's just not for me - life should be an adventure, a surprise. it should be dangerous and unexpected, not routine and safe. i want to leave a bigger mark on the world than just my grave.

i would rather make $200 a week playing my music and around in a van with my band mates than making $60/hr programming web pages. and i like programming web pages :D.