Dobro is a MoFo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Sep 16, 2003.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Just picked this up

Gonna do an acoustic duo so this should fill the bill and turn a few heads as well!
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
  3. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    "Sir, would you like some fresh grated parmesan on your pasta?"

I don't know about grating but it sure can do some shredding;)
  4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    What does it sound like? Is the volume as loud as advertised? It looks cool, but I have this image of it sounding like a Jaw Harp. Please let us Know-(sound clips?)
  5. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    It sounds a little tinny unamplified but I think all ABGs sound that way. Plugged in it sounds very full. It sounds like a bass. The lipstick pickup is passive and very low output. No preamp onboard!
    I don't think any ABG are that useable acoustically but I wanted something to plug directly into the PA. This will do the trick! I also plan on putting tapewound strings on her. I had an El Capitan that sounded very twangy and I put La Bella tapes on and it really made a difference.

Guys, these things are cheap, around $495.00 at Folk Of The Wood. I bought mine locally though. The OMI model is close to 2K as are several other brands I've seen.

Check one out if you come across one. I'll try to get sound soundclips up. In the meantime go here: and scroll down to the video clips. Bear in mind that the sound stinks and the guy playing it is a bluegrass guitar player with finger picks on. Mine is much basser than what you'll hear. This a Johnson by the way, guess now I finally have a Big Johnson! Woo Hoo!
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    here's mine...
  7. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I've been looking to get one of those for a while. I used one jamming with a bluegrass band, unplugged, and the volume was just right. The tone was pretty good too. louder than any ABG ive played.

How is the construction/playability on it?
  8. I've got a couple regular dobros and several non-pedal steel guitars. I would probably put a high bone nut on and square profile saddle inserts and try it with a 10 string steel. You would need a lot of bar mass for bass strings and I would imagine that a dobro bar just wouldn't cut it. Tune it GBDG for bluegrass or GBEG for swing and you could really swing. I thought I was done with GAS, but you just started me thinking.
  9. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Construction is very good for an instrument in this price range. Very well put together. Playability is great, slim neck and medium/low action. I did try this through a Sansamp as well as straight and the Sansamp really added a lot to it soundwise. All this needs is a little EQ and you're good to go.