1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Doc Hogan's Bad Habit at Canucks in Lewisville, Texas 3/5/2016

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Gravedigger Dav, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    First gig with a new band. Had 12 days to learn the songs. We had 41 on the set list. I already knew 19 of them. 22 new songs in 11 days keeps you up late
    IMG_20160305_201137301.

Pulled up to the club and found I had arrived at Canuc, ok, close enough and Doc's truck is a the load in door.

IMG_20160305_195937380.

Randy is setting up. He claims he is not Captain Obvious.
    IMG_20160305_194333858.
    Didn't get a shot of Doc setting up, but I caught him and Mrs. Doc enjoying some great burgers and hand cut fries
    IMG_20160305_201209888.

So we are all set up and ready to start in a few minutes. Just enough time for a round of Jello shooters. Not sure who thought a wall of mirrors was as good idea for the back of the stage.
    IMG_20160305_200437029.

A couple of action shots:
    IMG_20160305_223243084.
    IMG_20160305_223259026.

Didn't get any girls dancing shots. Way too busy on stage.
    This was my first gig with this band. I guess we did okay, we got booked for next month. March 24 in Wichita Falls and the 27th in Fourney.

pablomago, Oddly, kcole4001 and 12 others like this.
  2. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Excellent gig.... Say whose that other band behind you playing in the opposite direction? ... Opps!, that's a mirror..nevermind, my bad. Did you get any video? Bar food looks decent. Glad you had a good gig. What was your rig?

Aberdumbie likes this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. @Gravedigger Dav!

Wow! Thanks for sharing your gig. I agree with the mirrors behind the stage being a bad idea. Not only is it undesirable acoustically but nobody wants to see the backside of the band. ;)

I'm glad to see the TV was turned off while you were playing. That can be distracting. I used to play a little watering hole around here that was called "Canucks". I suppose a lot of towns have a place where Canadians can hang out, eh? We used to set our amps and speakers on their chairs and tables too. They didn't mind. I like little neighborhood places like that. They're usually filled with friendly people, regulars who know each other and are there just to unwind. I guess the place liked you, they booked you back. Nice work.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

McG, dbase and Treadstone71 like this.
  4. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yes, it was fun. We were worried the crowd was thin. The owner apologized for the thin crowd. Turns out they were on the patio watch cage fighting on TV. Very friendly people and the bartenders were very nice.
    Some of them looked Canadian, but it is hard to tell.

McG likes this.
  5. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Awesome!! I was planning to go to that show but had to work

6. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Fender Rumble 500 v3 combo. I'm playing my P Select. My MIA Jazz is there for backup and decoration. Mrs. Doc did videos, but I wont see them until at least this weekend. I will add them if I can.
    Not a mirror, this club happens to be on a portal to an alternate dimension.

McG, BassCliff, SWRnut and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    We'll be back on April 27th. Come on by. I'll let you buy me a drink. ;)

Jimmy4string, dbase and Crusher47 like this.
  8. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I knew that... but I didn't want to come off strange as an alien or something. Glad you agree. naa noo, naa noo ;)

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  9. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    No time for dancing girl shots??? Aghast!!!!...... Great gig.

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Anyone request Snake Farm, or am I in the wrong part of Texas for that? :roflmao: Thanks!

11. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Great write up!! A little far north for me to have driven, but if you play some gigs on the "good" side of Dallas, I'd make the drive!

12. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Takin' names and diggin' graves... Cool post. Thanks for sharing. What sort of music does this group play?

13. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Classic Rock and Country. Lots of Lynrd Skynrd, ZZ Top, Stoney Larue, Charlie Daniels, Hendrix, SRV, and even a couple of Beatles tunes. And a few originals.
    We close our shows with We Gotta Get Out of this Place.

kjones, McG, yodedude2 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    We'll be in Forney in late March, I think the 26th, I'll let you know when I get the latest info. Doc is booking us like crazy. We will be in Wichita Falls on the 24th. I don't have the full calendar yet, but I know we are booked pretty solid through the end of May.

15. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Oh, no. This is definitely the right part. Ray Wiley Hubbard is one of my favorites. Wish we did some of his material. Snake Farm is a great tune and very funny. Thanks for the video. I hadn't seen it and it is a great video.

16. Isn't the Snake Farm in Louisiana along Route 1 between Baton Rouge and New Orleans? Ha, love that song!!!

17. Good looking show Gravedigger! Keep on rockin in the free world!

18. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    When I first responded to your post, I didn't see you are in Lake Conroe. I assumed the east side of Dallas. That's why I said Forney. It isn't firmed up yet, but it looks like a possibility of Bastrop or Elgin in May. I'll let you know. For you, Bastrop is just "up the road a piece."
    I know your area. I lived in The Woodlands in the 80s.

2cooltoolz likes this.
  19. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Great report Dav!

My problem with mirrors behind the stage Is I end up with my back to the audience watching myself play. :laugh:

I used to play a sports bar with a side project band. They would turn off the TVs behind the stage but left the ones behind the bar on. They were perfectly situated to see from the stage. Distracting for sure, especially when the Lakers were on. I biffed it more than once watching the game while playing :rolleyes:

What a time we live in. People flock to watch violence on television rather than good live music :rollno:

Nice mix of music. Love the closer :thumbsup:

20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Oh, love the band name too!