1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Doc says go light

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottyg11, Nov 30, 2006.

1. scottyg11

scottyg11

Mar 12, 2006
    Seattle
    Had a doctors appointment today and it looks like I am developing a hernia or two. Doc says I should really not be lifting heavy stuff. My current rig consists of an Ampeg 4pro and a Korg tuner in a road ready case going into one or both (I had to try it, amazing even at resonable volume) Bergantino NV215 & NV425 cabs. My number 1 these days is a Sadowsky UV70 with flats on it. I am really loving the vintage smooth tone I am getting. I find myself hauling this stuff up a flight of stairs at least once a week by myself. I need to lighten this rig or at least break it down into lighter pieces. Does anyone have any suggestions on lighter cabs/ amp setup without loosing this tone that I am so in love with? I don't really play that loud just keeping up with an unmiked drummer and a couple of guitarists with 30 - 40 watt combo amps. Before this came up I was seriously considering an Aggie DB 750. Might have to reconsider that plan. I was thinking along the lines of a couple of 12" cabs you know easy carry type stuff.
    Thanks
    Scott

2. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    Mark Bass are supposedly very light...

3. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I heard that Epifani UL410's will cop a vintagey tone as well as a Schroeder 410L. As far as heads everyone raves about the Epifani UL502. That Epifani set up I would think would be the best tone to weight ratio. You should have more than enough if you sell the Ampeg and the Bergs.

4. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I was born with a hernia and after two or three operations and they still couldn't fix it.. I just live with it. Sucks because I can't get many jobs or play many sports. But Its cool.

5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I like my current rig a whole lot - Thunderfunk head with Bergantino HT\EX112 combo. I have a very bad back\neck from a car accident years ago and this rig is easy for me to get around. Sounds absolutely fantastic as well. You mention the DB750 as a head you were considering - though I've never tried one, I have read more than once that with a little tweaking (slight boosts at 40hz, 400hz and 4khz), the TFunk will cop that tone quite nicely. Despite its smaller size, this rig sounds absolutely huge. Warm, smooth, punchy, musical, sweet top end, tight bottom with nice mids...

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    how much do you want to spend?

and while its not the 750, the aguilar ag500 does a suitable job of getting that jacked ampeg aguilar sound in only 15 lbs.

as for cabs, for cheap, a pair of avatar neo 1x12's should do the trick. got dough? then shoot for the moon w/ a pair of epifani ul112's. literally "empty briefcase" light.

7. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    PM sent.

8. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Just buy a hand truck/dolly. You'll be fine. Just rub some dirt in it.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    :(

10. you could ask your band mates to help you?

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I have cerebral pulsy which means I'm weak and I play rock/metal. The combination I am thinking about is a Gk 1001 and Schroeder 410L. Although this current rash of Markbass has me interested.

12. portabass

portabass

Oct 26, 2006
    Gulf Coast USA
    Try the Low Down Sound wet 28 (lowdownsound.com).Sturdy beefy, and very portable. affordable . Maybe two of those.I have one of the 2x8 cabs and an old Trace Elliot 1x15 cab with an eden wt550. Its a modular light weight rig. I use it with a Blues rock trio and our drummer plays loud.

13. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Here is a suggestion for a lightweight bass cabinet:
    Buy the “World’s Best Cheap Bass Cabinet” (the Legion Sound/MSC 2x12) and replace the speakers with BassLites. This will reduce the weight from the stock 61 lbs to 48 lbs. If you replace the heavy grille with round grilles and dry the cabinet interior with lamps you can get it down to 45 lbs.

You can get Basslites for about $70 each.

Avatar 2x12 Neo ..…Legion Sound 2x12 with Basslites added
    56 lbs………….......45 to 48 lbs
    ~103 dB ………....100 dB
    500 watts ……..…300 watts
    4.9 cu ft ………..….4.3 cu ft internal airspace
    $341…………….$315 ($175 + $140)

14. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Since you want to keep a lot of the great tone that you've got going on now, I'd say sell the big Berg cabs and buy smaller, modular Berg cabs... most of your tone is coming from the speakers (and the Sadowsky bass, but obviously no need to switch that up) so that's where i would start if I were you. I'd look for a used Berg HT115 (since they're no longer in production) and one Berg 1x12 (an HT or EX) depending as your finances allow. Or go for the Berg 2x12 stack (one HT and one EX). That would definitely get you enough firepower for a reasonable drummer and a couple of guitar combos... and each cab would be right around 50 lbs for the HT115 + HT112 stack, and under 40 lbs for the HT112 + EX112 stack.

As far as the amp situation, if your unsure of whether you want to continue with the Ampeg tone or go for the Aguilar tone, I would say maybe a pre/power situation would work if you rack a powerful but lightweight power amp (like a Stewart World or a QSC PLX2) in a light rack by itself (like a SKB, Gator, or Grundorf MightyLight case). And then rack a 1U pre (like an Ampeg SVPCL or the Aggie DB659) with your tuner in another light rack. Again, that means more trips, but each one is significantly lighter.

Best of luck, and sorry to hear about your hernia.

15. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Or you could go with the Berg IP112 (46 lbs) + EX112 (36 lbs) or used HT115 (I think about 55 lbs, may be wrong on that) and rack a pre of your choice with your tuner in a light rack (maybe 30 lbs) and you wouldn't need a power amp... fewer trips to the van and back. There's plenty of info on this board about preamps that people like with the Berg IP112 if you search around.

16. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    An injury forced me to re-evaluate my rig as well. And mine was only 65 lbs.
    Here is what I did. Markbass LMII at 6.5 lbs and drbass custom 112 at 33 lbs (bathroom scale). Just can't beat that drbass cab finish. Soon will add another identical cab. But I really like this setup.
    minirig4.

17. You won't find a lot of love for them here on TB, but I really dig my Flite cab (flitesound.com). I've got the 115, and it's absurdly light (somewhere in the vicinity of 20 lbs.) and, to my ears, sounds great. They make all manner of different sizes too.

Hernia advice: if you've got the health insurance that will do it, just get the surgery to fix it. I had two hernias fixed some years back, and, if successful, the chances of a hernia recurring are lower than 1%. Laproscopic surgery is the way to go, too--you'll be walking normally in a matter of days, instead of weeks.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Lots of good recommendations above, and I'd probably go with two 1x12" cabinets. I haven't played the boutique brands, but love my G-K Neo112. Two of those with a lightweight head from Markbass, or a G-K head, would sound pretty huge. For a warmer, more vintage tone, the Aguilar 112 is great.

But if you're addicted to that 2x15" slam -- which would be entirely understandable -- maybe look into Roland's D-Bass 115 combo with D-115X powered extension cab. Each weighs about 55 pounds, which isn't bad for a 1x15", and you wouldn't have to lug a separate amp. (G-K's Neo115 is around that, and would be worth a look too.) I know this isn't a "boutique" rig, but I've been real impressed with Roland's amps, including the D-Bass 210 I recently heard at a guitar show. They're extremely loud for their power ratings.

If you wanted to go even lighter with 1x15" cabs, I think Dr. Bass models with neo drivers are only about 40 pounds, and Flites are even lighter. I've thought about these myself, but have never heard or tried them.

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Not boutique in the sense it's made by a large company, but they not only are light and loud - they have a lot of marvelous tones and flexibility. If I was a combo guy they'd be at the top of my list with maybe a couple of other contenders. They might edge those others out based on my experiences with Roland in terms of reliability, as well.

20. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    As others said, keep your rig and either get a dolly, get a friend, or slip a guy a few bucks to schlep it. :)