Doctor Bass 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jammin'John, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Anyone play Dr. Bass ?
    Are they good cabs ?
    Are they the most efficient ?

2. I think the dude from "bunnyband" plays one.
  3. I play the rx212 as my stage rig. It is very efficient, about the size of the older 1-15 cabs, and it stays very clear and in the mix. If you want lots of lows put it right on the floor. even on a stand is has a very round sound.
  4. Did you get it with the stock horn ?
    What ohms did you get ?
    How much power are you using ?
    Is your band loud ?

JJ :eek:
  5. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    I spoke with Marc ("Dr. Bass") end of last week and he is trying to get me my RX 212 before my gig this coming Saturday night. He is a great guy on the phone and responds quickly to his e-mails as well. Can't wait to put the power to this thing. He told me that he has modified the design slightly for an additional 5 lb weight savings (I am downsizing due to blown disc, so this is great news), and it should weigh in at only 46 to 47 lbs now! He said the redesign also improved the cabs structural strength. I'll definitely be posting a complete review once I have had it a month or so and been able to play 2 to 3 gigs and practice with it. I have not read a bad review for this cab yet.
  6. I got the stock horn. I complained that my horn was too subtle ( I like it to cut like a knife) and was told that due to some complaints on earlier cabs Dr. Bass has toned it down some, which can be very easily undone if you want it "back".

I play it with a new Gallien Krueger 400rbiv which is 180 watts @ 8 ohms and 280 @ 4ohms, and I got the 4 ohm version because I wanted a stand alone 1 cab rig (this lets me get all my wattage). My head is almost over-kill with this cab and I turn it up to half on the master and half on the input gain with the boost all the way off for most gigs. I never even get the fan to come on on the head. (BTW after I got this head I got all the sizzle from the horn I wanted but seemed lacking with my Hartke rig pushing this cab so I never modified it)

My band is loud (at times) it is a seven piece band with two guitarists / multi instrumentalists, drummer and a percussionist and an electric violinist. Our styles are a little of everything (world beat?) but my rig is only used as a stage monitor for me and the band (not put into the stage PA monitors). It would definitely be enough to use without PA support on most club gigs and many bigger ones.
  7. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

actually, i play a Rx1260 with a 115. ( i just got the 115, so i dont have any reviews yet. i know that marc says his 212 is his best selling, with no returns.

considering that you would probably not use another cab with this, you may want to consider getting a 4 ohm cab. also, i would talk to marc about your needs, and let him help you make a decision. you also have a choice of types of speakers, and horns, althought the price will vary.