1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Doctor Bass) Dr. Bass - Customer Service Thread - Complaints & Concerns

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by U.S. Bassist, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    I sure hope that his 15 minutes are up. Permanently. Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

2. I recently cancelled my order.

At first I tried to defend them, now... I just think they're a joke.

Sorry Marc, but you need to start talking to your customers and being honest with them.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    April 6th it'll be 8 months for me. I thought no crossover or tweeter would speed things up. My cab was finished 7 months ago.

Marc would say I changed the speakers twice, but judging from everyone else it doesn't matter if you make changes mid order, it's still going to be a minimum of 6 months to get a Dr Bass cab. This info is not given to be malicious, it's just the truth.

I don't think anyone disputes the quality and sound of the cabs. The only way I could order again is if the cab's in stock.

4. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    I think neither the quality nor sound is anything to go to the trouble of writing home about. Not bad, mind you, but not better than anything else, except really crappy stuff.

5. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    I definately like my Dr Bass cabinets, but it took 6+ months to get them after being told it would only be 5-6 weeks at the time I placed the order. I had a couple of those, "Your cabinets will ship this week." phone conversations along the way as well. I have to add that Marc called me before shipping to tell me that my cabs were loaded with neo's as opposed to the ceramics I had ordered and I could have them at no additional charge. If I wanted the ceramics I was going to have to wait a little longer. I decided it was prudent to take what was offered, but I never did receive the cover I'd ordered for my 1260SF, or the "free cables". I would like to get another 1X15 cabinet, but there is no way I will order from him again unless things radically change.

6. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Please, don't hold your breath. And about your promised but never received cover/cables, non-truths spew from that outfit with the regularity of Old Faithful.

7. Interesting thread.
    I can't imagine what could make a cabinet so special that someone would put up with this. Unless you were told upfront that there's a 6 month, 1 year wait.
    But still, it's a cabinet. Wood, wire, speakers....
    I don't get it.

8. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    I've never even tried to get the cables or cover, it's not worth the effort.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I just cancelled my order with Dr. Bass for a vertical 2-12 cabinet. Marc has not returned any of my recent phone calls or e-mails to him, so I won't hold my breath for a refund from him as he most likely will not see my cancellation e-mail! Why is it that Marc takes our money up front and then makes all kinds of excuses! According to my discussion with some one at my Attorney General's office today, this constitutes interstate fraud. I hope Marc has a good lawyer! :D

10. centralbeatbass

centralbeatbass

Nov 18, 2008
    Be patient. It takes awhile but it's well worth the wait. Give Marc a call after 6 EST. My order took months, but I'm completely happy with my 1580 Beyma 4ohm cab.

11. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I already have a 2460 Neo cab from Marc, so I know he can deliver if he wants to, but it seems that in recent months he has become a poor example of how to run a successful business. I run a business and if I used Dr. Bass as a business model, I'd be out of business pretty fast. I can no longer condone his way of doing business! :scowl:

12. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm another individual that has nothing but superb workings with Marc Serio. I'm about to receive my third set of cabinets from Marc over the last couple of years. I ordered a set of his early CS series of cabs back in 2006 after sampling some of them in Pete Skjold's shop, got a Neo 1260/1580 set in 2007 and I've got a new set of cabs that are going to be a new addition to his product line on the way. I've always found his products to be built and sound as good or better than anything that I've played in 24 years of playing. Especially considering his prices.

Each time that I've called Dr. Bass, Marc answers the phone or he has called me back within 24 hours. He has always replied to my emails within 48 hours and I have always received my cabinets on time, usually about 2 months delivery time. This latest build went from design conversations to production to shipment in 7 WEEKS. Yes, that's right...49 days on the dot. Remember that this is a new cabinet design as well.

My initial conversations with Marc concerning these cabs were conducted via handheld portable satellite phone from eastern Afghanistan. He would always follow up our conversations with an email within a couple days. If I was able to talk design, tone requirements and build specifications with Marc from Afghanistan, I have a hard time believing that there would be quite that level of difficulty here in the States.

As soon as they arrive (which should be early next week), I'll start a new thread on my new cabs.

For those that are seriously interested in Dr. Bass products, PM me and I'd be more than happy to share my experiences. I always try to keep in mind that TalkBass is a tiny little microcosm of bass players. To me, the experiences of a couple very vocal members don't necessarily reflect reality. They certainly don't mirror my experiences with Dr. Bass in any way.

These are just my experiences and opinions. I am in no way associated with Marc Serio or Dr. Bass. I'm just a happy Dr. Bass customer and will continue to be as long as I'm treated in the fashion that I have been.

13. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    what's the new product line Matt?

14. I'm getting ready to post my experience with Dr. Bass in another thread. This topic, and this vendor, deserves as many threads as possible. To be clear, my experience hasn't been the same as yours, and you can add me to that "couple very vocal members." You can decide for yourself what constitutes reality.

Blues Cat: I'm ready to unload now.

-jb

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Unfortunately you seem to be the beggar Ian Anderson referred to when he said "put a penny in every other beggars' cup" - only: a penny is only spared for only one person out of a hundred, it seems. So how does it feel to get special treatment when everybody else is left hanging on the rack? That hardly says anything good about the practices.

16. I seem to recall someone on another thread asking if anyone had received a DR. Bass cab in 2009.

The silence was deafening.

The silence from Marc was even louder.

17. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I received a cab from DR Bass in two weeks this year. As I said in a previous post, it was one he already had in stock. A few years ago, I ordered another cab he had in stock, took less than a week to get to me. Look, I'm not saying you all should just order in stock cabs; obviously some of you have special needs when it comes to your sound. But if you want something customized to the point where they have to outsource whatever you desire to get it, you are adding a third, sometimes fourth party to the whole transaction , who have their own agendas when it comes to delivering what is ordered from them. Yes, it should'nt take 6 months, but, is that the rule or is it some TB'ers who are getting frustrated?

18. OK, so... why does he tell customers that stuff is ready to go out of the door, when it isn't, and won't be for months?

19. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    jnewmark,

I had ordered a new design cab that Marc was really excited to do, he loved the concept and after we worked out most of the details, he still gave me a 4-6 week delivery time, so that argument fails based on what my experience tells me. :eyebrow:

20. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    So, did you ask him why it took longer? Did he feel at the time that he could get it done, and then some part got inexplicably back ordered? I don't know, Obviously it would be nice if one of them came on here to answer all your complaints, but I can't imagine how they are still in business if every customized cab took 6 months to deliver. Does'nt make sense to me. :meh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.