1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Doctor Bass) Dr. Bass - Customer Service Thread - Complaints & Concerns

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by U.S. Bassist, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I ordered an unloaded DRB 115LF in late December. That's a box with a jack and a grille. No driver, no tweeter, no crossover. I was told three to four weeks. I inquired after one month, then a couple of weeks later. Was told all existing orders would ship by the week of Feb. 23 (apparently they were planning a move). Nothing. Inquired the following week, was told the cab was finished and ready to ship out that Friday, and that I would receive an e-mail with a FedEx tracking number. That was four weeks ago today. Have called four times since then, and e-mailed twice. Got Marc once (he said the guy who sprays his cabs either wasn't available, or his equipment was broken, can't remember which), left two messages, talked to someone the other day who said there was a family emergency. Told Marc that I want to cancel the order if it doesn't ship today. Haven't gotten a call or an e-mail from him.

A box, a jack and a grille. Someone else hit the nail on the head: "The Best Cab You'll Never Have."

-jb

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I pretty much feel like a typical consumer of any product. I call the company, I place my order, I pay my money, I get my cabs delivered. Let me think...yup, that about sums it up.

The great thing about these forums is that you get the opportunity to hear different experiences from different people. My experiences are what they are.

I'm actually very interested in reading contrary experiences and opinions. I hope people post their actual experiences such as what they ordered, if they changed their order during the build, did they order something unusual or custom, etc. I've read several "I didn't get my cab for XX months" comments but I haven't read much detail concerning the actual transactions.

Continue!

3. I hope I've satisfied your curiosity...

-jb

4. I ordered a Slant 1260 and a 115LF, with ceramic drivers and Fender cloth.

I was asked to make my mind up quickly, as the shipment was going out to the UK distributor 'the following Monday'. I was told my customisation wouldn't delay the order.

That was early December. AFAIK, they still haven't been shipped.

I feel very sorry for the UK distributor who has had a tough time keeping his customers happy.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    If Marc ever returns any of my e-mails or phone call, perhaps I can give you an answer!

The last time I spoke with him, about two weeks ago, he said he had to finish a custom order and then he would start mine, but previous to that he told me he had a prototype cab built and would send me photos, and previous to that, a fax with drawings of the design for approval, to make sure we were on the same page design-wise. So far, nada! As best as I can make out, he has a piece of paper in his office with the specs for the cabinet and has not done anything yet, beyond that. I keep reading about all these reasons (excuses) for not getting product finished and delivered; I am beginning to believe he has one of those Book Of 1000 Excuses near him at all times. :meh:

6. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Matt M can you tell us what the new design is?

7. C5000

C5000

Dec 16, 2008
    From conception to doorstep....3 1/2 weeks. Built to my specs to be close to Berg AE410. Why F around with people who are shady. Dr. Bass was on my list, and I'm sure glad I didn't go with them. They also bashed Genz Benz in my communication with them, who have legendary customer service and products.

Call Don. You won't be sorry.

[​IMG]

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    How nice to be treated with kid gloves while others evidently are not.

9. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1. Marc rarely answered the phone. He never responded to my emails or voice mails. I ended up canceling my order after waiting almost 6 months. And I just ordered a DRB212 neo. Nothing custom. There's no reason it should have take that long to fulfill my order. Even when I canceled my order, he didn't respond nor refund my money. I filed a dispute with my credit card company to get the refund.

If interested, you can read my story in the Dr. Bass Wait Time Support Group thread.

Ben

I ordered a DRB 212 neo. Nothing custom. Nothing unusual. I Made absolutely no changes to my original order.

10. Ben, have you considered resigning that membership? :meh:

-jb

11. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Another individual who has had nothing but superb workings with Marc Serio??? I think it's more like you are the only individual who has had nothing but superb workings with Marc Serio! He has always answered the phone? He has always replied to emails? You'll have to please pardon me if I say that I find that tremendously unlikely. A couple vocal members? There are many more than a couple serious complaints in this thread alone. Not in any way associated? Um...O.K.

12. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    I've yet to hear of much, if anything, that's so customized. Most are very mundane cabs or cabs that Marc has recommended himself!

13. Maybe Marc is a tempermental genius, custom special made or "new" designs are exciting. Bread and butter designs are the "been there done that" can't get myself interested cabs? Just an off the cuff idea.

14. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    sorry to hear about this.. I would think they would want to come to this site.. and explain what is going on.. their bad PR.. is why I did not even consider a bass cabinet.. thanks to this site..

15. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    ...except that my new, exciting custom special cabinet has gone nowhere! :scowl:

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...Marc?...genius?...thanks, we all really needed some comic relief! :D

17. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I've talked to a lot of satisfied Dr. Bass customers. I've also read a lot of posts here with people who haven't been happy with the customer service, delivery times, and have cancelled orders. Everyone has their own experience. The only thing I've done in this thread is relay mine to those that are interested. I received my FedEx tracking numbers this afternoon.

To answer a couple of your interestingly colored points. Yes, not only has Marc always answered or returned my calls, he provided me his personal cell phone number as well.
    I check my email several times a day and Marc has always responded to my questions with at least an "I'm going to be out of town for a couple days so I'll get back to you on Tuesday" type email within a couple of days.

As far as my association with Dr. Bass; Matt Morgan is my real name, I work for the U.S. Government, I've been an avid bass guitar player for 24 years, I've been a member here on TB for over 8 years and the only thing I am is a three time customer. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you my home and cell # and I'd be happy to talk to you in person about it.

As far as your association "Bassin' 'Round", forgive me I may have missed it in an earlier post or some of the other numerous threads that you've participated in regarding Dr. Bass, exactly what dealings have you had with this company? Have you purchased or attempted to purchase any Dr. Bass products? Have you ever spoken with Marc Serio? Just curious.

18. I'm learning the art of tounge in cheek from JimmyM:hyper::)

19. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Below is a snipet from their website. They state that it might take as long as 90 days. Thus, if I had an order past 90 days, I would ask for my money back!

"At Dr. Bass, we are dedicated to making truly outstanding products that offer better sound, based on superior design and superior construction, all with customer input ...and to stand behind each one of them. It’s an ambitious goal — one that can’t be achieved on an assembly line. Assuring our high standards of quality control takes time and demands a very small, highly qualified team, working together in the U.S.A, building our products
    painstakingly, with trained ears listening intently to every cabinet before it can be shipped. Because demand is strong… and because we are not prepared to compromise our standards, while our goal is to have all orders filled within 2 to 4 weeks, it can sometimes take as much as 90 days from the time the order is received until you receive your handcrafted cabinet".

20. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    That may be, but if a customer's order is going to surpass the originally quoted delivery time, than Marc should contact the customer and notify, discuss... this with them, not leave them hanging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.