1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Doctor Bass) Dr. Bass - Customer Service Thread - Complaints & Concerns

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by U.S. Bassist, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interesting to hear that he bashed Genz Benz. :scowl:
    Would you mind telling us what he said?

2. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    to those of you that canceled your order, did you get your money back and how long did that take? did you just call your credit card company? i've been very patient with Marc. He is very nice every time i call him. I Don't talk to him everytime i call but when i do he's great to talk to. I don't even know if i need the cabinet i ordered from him late nov/early dec anymore. I've learned to get by with what i already have in the time i've been waiting. I might cancel if i don't get it in a week or so though

3. To add some unbiased balance to this thread, I will tell of my experience with Dr Bass, and offer my sympathy to those who have suffered disappointment. Ironically, I've never bought gear without a tryout until I discovered Talkbass in 2005(LOL), which proves the point that GAS is contagious, and "word of mouth" is effective.

After Hurricane Katrina, I embarked on a quest to update some of my amp gear that was destroyed, and in turn, discovered the "Boutique On A Budget" thread regarding the Carvin LS1503 as an effective bass guitar cab. Ordered and received in 2007, I was happy for a short while (until major distortion set in) and after numerous component swaps, decided to look at an alternative source for a three-way cabinet. At the time, Dr Bass was starting to garner seriously good reviews, and the prices seemed very good. Dr Bass was in the process of releasing the 1580, and after reading comments and communicating with one of the posters above, I decided on a 1580 plus a 1260 for smaller gigs, with the intent of combining the two for large venues. I knew the wait time was around eight weeks based on other TBer's experiences, but that wasn't a problem for me, as I had several other cabs to use in the interim.

So, I call Marc, discuss my needs and styles, and went with the ceramic drivers in the two cabs. He even offered a nominal discount after hearing of my hurricane losses. During the wait, I had no trouble getting Marc on the phone and most emails were answered promptly. I'll say too, that Marc has the gift of a great salesman, in that he can make you feel like an old friend without even meeting in person. I truly felt at ease dealing with him, and was extremely happy throughout the entire process. At one point, he called me and told me about the special slant faced 1260 build he was doing for another customer in Australia, and asked if I would like to have mine slanted as well, at no extra cost. I agreed and Marc even emailed pics at various stages of the build.

The cabs arrived in about eight weeks and I was impressed with the construction quality and the sound, although I never could get the 1580 sounding like I wanted. I ended up selling it. On the other hand, the 1260SF is a little "giant Killer" and I've used it on the majority of gigs for the last year and a half.

So, that's my story, and I can say that my experience was a pleasing one, but hearing all these posters who have waited for four, six, or more months, I can't support the company's method of doing business, and would personally stay away until the situation is rectified.

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I have also had nothing but superb workings with Marc. So he's not the ONLY one:) He answered every email and phone call and gave me his personal cell also. Yes he took a few extra weeks to deliver my cab, but because he was late, he over nighted it to me NO Charge. And threw in casters free. The wait was worth it IMHO. I got a great cab and great service:) Maybe that was because I treated him with respect and he did the same for me. We had good conversations, Even after I had my cab for a while. I don't understand whats going on now, maybe he is just plain overwhelmed or swamped with so many orders that he can't keep up. Or maybe he's going through some really tough times in his personal life. Who knows? I wish there was some way he could make thing right for those that have been put out. Marc makes way too good of a cab to have his rep dragged through the mud like this.

5. So we just need more good reports to give it balance maybe? Can't please all the people all the time, but a better balance might be helpful till Mark can step in.:)

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    People can do a search and find this info. To facilitate this I will go back and edit some threads concerning Dr.Bass. I will add "Doctor" in the title or first post so that it can be found easily by the search feature. Also, if you have links to Dr.Bass threads please PM them to me to help get this search issue squared away.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Providing people keep the negativity out of the Dr.Bass Club thread this one will remain open.

Now, some guidelines...

NO personal insults towards Marc.
    NO name calling directed at Marc or your fellow TB members.
    NO threats of any kind. If you do, I will ban you for a month and lobby the Admins to ban you permanently.

This shouldn't be too hard to follow, right? Now...thread open.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Marc called me today! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

He told me that all e-mails were going to his spam folder. I will give him one last chance to make good on my order with him. Am I a glutton for punishment? :meh:

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I ordered a new custom cab (2x15 + 8" mid and horn) in January. I was told 4 weeks, and it wound up being closer to 10 weeks, but it's on the way now. I never had much of a hard time getting him on the phone though email was rough. If I left a message I usually got a callback the same week (sometimes vm monday, callback thursday though).

I'd say adequate but not terribly impressive, but on the flipside he was nice enough to send me a bunch of pics mid construction and got me a nice white grill right in the middle of the build process.

Also, he rejected a grill that was too weak and tested it, as the cab has a bigger profile than his others, and upgraded to a superior grill gauge. He also sent back a grill that had sloppy powder coating, and had to rebuild the entire cab once because it got cut for a 6" mid originally and the 8 wouldn't fit the design that was done.

So he made some mistakes but he took care of them pre-ship rather than slamming it out, and I have to say I appreciate that. The way it looks I should have a fantastic cab with no issues and not a terrible wait.

As far as email goes, I would almost not bother -- his spam filter is legendary for dumping people's emails. That guy needs to get a contact form on his website so they can't get lost, or get a Gmail address, or something, I don't know. Or someone to answer the phones :)

10. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    I ordered a standard 2460 (2x12 - used to be called a 2260) a few years back. I can't speak as to teh present problems, but my order was timely filled, and Marc answered all calls and e-mails. Nothing but total class and professionalism when I dealt with them. If I ever need another cab, I wouldn't hesitate to order from there.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My Doctor Bass experiences mirror those of Long Beach Wild Dog and Gig Lawyer - I purchased a 2260 neo, and was so happy with it that I ordered a 1580 ceramic several months later.

My dealings with Marc have been positive, shipments reasonably prompt, and my satisfaction with the 2260 unwavering.

Unfortunately, like lbwdog, I've been unable to get "my sound" out of my 1580 (I've tried it with several different basses and amps, including a Carvin B1500, an EA iAmp800, and a Shuttle 6.0), so it's been relegated to a supporting role beneath my 2260 on large gigs; I don't use it alone.

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey JD - what don't you get out of the 1580 that you want? Just curious.

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I am with Jazzdogg, the 2460Neo cab I had was a great sounding cabinet but it just didn't get me my sound. When JZ came over to buy it from me he brought his Sadowsky; that sounded wonderful when he played it so I am (hopefully) getting something else that will get me what I want, sonically speaking.

15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    PM sent

16. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    one thing I can say about local builder (we call them artisan in french) is more you harrass them with calls and emails less service you'll get - I have a bass currently not finish for over 26 months, more than 2 years and paid in full. But I'm still patient with the guy because I know in the end I'll get the best he can do because his heart is in the project.

I dont know about Dr. Bass but I feel the guy is not working for customer, he is working for himself to have a good time while building his cab. Wich is very different than a lot of us...

17. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I got a 112LF last year and though it was a few weeks late the communication was fairly good. He missed calling back once. He was great to talk to and seem to be really interested in getting a good product out. The cab construction was great it and it sounds great. I use it with either a Yamaha BBT110S or a Schroeder 1010L. It matches especially well with the BBT110S.

18. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
  19. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
  20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It should able to be thunderously louder than a 212 too, probably around 10db louder at maxspl (more like 15db more at the low end, but I haven't modeled a lot of 212s with standard drivers).

I don't know how I like it yet as I haven't gotten it. It shows up tomorrow by Fedex's estimation, and I will post a full report after I try it out with the Neopak and the Mesa 400+.

I am suspicious I might want to find a bigger solid state head as the thing should take all 900 watts and love it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.