1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Doctor Bass) Dr. Bass - Customer Service Thread - Complaints & Concerns

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by U.S. Bassist, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    M9.

2. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Like my slant front 1260 idea became a standard option.

Unlike some people here I do get "my" sound from my cabs. Sounds the same from my rig as from a studio monitor. So I'm happy.

I was not happy with the wait (14 months, with several very odd reasons adding up to all that, several of which were shipping issues) but I am very happy with the result and would order again ... except I don't need to order again cause Marc and I got the design right the first time.

3. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    That actually looks like a damn near perfect fit. Now to find someone to trade me one for my 400+ :p Meh.

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Actually that amp should be in high demand now that it is discontinued - you could sell it and have cash to spare for the M9 if that's what you want to do.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    And look at the picture. They've already EQ'ed it for you so it sounds perfect in the bedroom.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I received my cabs a couple weeks later than expected but Marc was answering my emails and was upfront about the delays. Then my tweeter made a very slight buzz and Marc fixed it and shipped it back the same day he received it. He was upset that a faulty tweeter made it's way into my cab. He's been real friendly to me but sometimes (like when he's real busy) he keeps it short and to the point.
    Based on what I know about the company, yes you'll have to wait longer than other companies for cabs but the bang-for-buck factor is very high. I believe in order to achieve this is they operate in "modes" (order mode, build mode, test mode, ship mode). IMO they do this to keep the costs down by improving efficiency. I am making some assumptions here (that may not be totally accurate) but this is what of pieced together based on my experience.
    If you need a cab right away you'll have to look elsewhere. If you have a cab to get you by, Dr. Bass cabs are well worth the money and wait. They are well built, powerful, transparent (uncolored), and have great features. IMO they are higher-end cabs at a middle-of-the-road price.

7. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...from what I've read, Dr. Bass is a 2-guy operation, Mark & his brother...did they not get into test mode for your cab before shipping?...if they had, maybe Marc wouldn't have had to be as upset that a faulty tweeter made it into your cab...

8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    ;)

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    They did. It was very slight, so slight that I didn't notice it but a fellow bass player (who prides himself in cab engineering) heard it.
    Nobody shoots 100 percent.

10. I live in the UK and a little while ago was considering Dr Bass cabs. I sent two or three emails to Marc who always responded with good information and seemed genuinely interested in supplying well considered advice. Manufacturing is becoming more and more difficult with supply chains and OEM's trying to hold less inventory to reduce costs and improve their cash situation. That said, there is no excuse for poor communication, especially to paid up customers.

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...you're absolutely right, granted, no one can possibly catch everything all the time...of course, then again, not everyone is in the business of building speaker cabinets & selling them in return for legal tender paid up front in full...but those that are might reasonably be expected to catch almost everything all the time, however, provided that cabs actually are tested, thoroughly tested, prior to shipment...

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Oh come on... you know you want a 978797 watt Mesa head for bedroom use. Think of the Flea licks you could pump out. Rad!

13. Dr. Bass is getting ALOT of gripe around these parts recently. I think in one thread Marc from Dr. Bass chimed in and explained the situation. They're being hit badly by the economy and are trying the get their company straightened out.

but yeah, thats a little rediculous. I hope they get their things straightened out!

14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    How does that explain delays, emails, and phone calls not being returned.........Seriously?????? The economy has made it impossible for him to return a phone call or email?? If anything, a slower than normal biz tempo should allow people to catch up with back orders and improve on their customer service.....they should have more time on their hands. Time management 101.

Customer service is a factor for me when I buy gear, used or new!!!!

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Customer service is very important to me, also, as I have been involved with just that in various capacities for over 25 years.

16. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    There's nothing recent about the gripe/problems. They've been there from the start. It's just that people have decided that they're not going to keep quiet about it any longer.

As far as getting the outfit straightened out, that's been needed since their inception. So it must not be a very pressing issue with them, nor do I think it ever will be. Same old same old is the real story line.

17. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    I am a previous customer of Dr. Bass, having bought two 115 cabs in 2006. Last week, I had a big reunion gig with my band from 1978. I've been refining and changing my sound, and I wanted to try a new speaker configuration for this gig. I called Marc three weeks before the gig to see what would be available for delivery by that date. After some friendly consultation, I decided on a slant 1260 and one of the new 112LFs. Marc had them in my hands as promised, and they sounded GREAT on the gig. In fact, they sounded so good that I sold my Eden D212XLT cab the following Monday. The Dr. Bass rig covers all of my 12 inch speaker needs. Marc did OK by me, and I wanted to let people know about it.

18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006

19. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Perhaps not, but Marc needs a serious kick in the...

Please edit your post, thanks!

20. RIM Basses

RIM Basses Custom Basses from the UK

Aug 6, 2006
    Luton Town
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you all know I finally collect my shipment this Friday, its been a long wait on this shipment and Ive lost a few orders due to the wait. Fingers crossed I will still have a few guys in the UK/Europe interested in the stock cabinets. My Pre-ordered customers have not been happy about the wait but understand they will be getting a top spec cabinet. Im going to be off on Holidays late June to New orleans and Canada, once Im back I will be in talks with Marc, when we last spoke he told me he has 80% of the cabinets programmed on the CNC now, and he is getting ready to move into his new unit. I hope things work out for him , he has a great product!

Better get going, gonna be busy next week getting these cabs off to their owners.

Cheers,

Robbie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.