Doctor Q Envelope Follower

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cmobe, Feb 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cmobe

Cmobe

Jun 16, 2015
    PA & MD USA
    How many of you have, use, love or wish they still had a Doctor Q?

s76fitz.V02 likes this.
  2. Cmobe

Cmobe

Jun 16, 2015
    PA & MD USA
    Here's mine next to yhr Zoom 506!!! 2015-07-02 21.29.26.jpg

3. I have had a Dr Q since it was released way back in the seventies. Original box, receipt manual and goodies. It was a mainstay for me on guitar and later on bass. I used it for faking wah wah and talk box sounds. While not currently on my bass board but it is on my board for keys and at least two more kicking about the studio.

Cmobe likes this.
  4. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    DrQ was the key to my amplified "electric" trumpet sound from '77 (with a King pickup) until early 2000's (with a clip on mic). Switch up for band-pass, it was the best. Even sounded good over-driven a little. Sure I've used it on bass, but there were better for bass. Maxon, Ashdown, Ibanez bass synth etc... sturdy enough for 25 years but didn't make it beyond... btw, Only the oldest versions were perfect. Once the LED was included and a changed dial, the were "crap"

Cmobe likes this.
  5. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Never used the Doctor Q but Holy Smokes - that Zoom 506 though! lol. Do you still actively use that thing? I've still got one but I haven't used it in at least 10 years... it's still sitting in it's box!

Cmobe likes this.
  6. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I love the old-school grit (yes, it's really a thing, and not just some imagined "mojo") of the vintage Doctor Q. The sweep is too limited for me, though. I still keep one around, because nothing else I've tried sounds quite like it.

Cmobe likes this.
  7. Cmobe

Cmobe

Jun 16, 2015
    PA & MD USA
    Hey superHEAVYfunk, believe it or not that Zoom 506 is the only pedal I've used regularly in 20yrs lol!!! This pic was taken at a musicians rehearsal over a year ago. I've had the BP90 that you see here since then and never used it in service. After all these years my 506 just recently got a short in the power supply...ugh!!! Maybe I can learn how to get the few sounds that I use out of that BP90 and retire my 506 lol!!!

superheavyfunk likes this.
  8. Cmobe

Cmobe

Jun 16, 2015
    PA & MD USA
    @superHEAVYfunk and @FilterFunk I didn't even know that they had a new Doctor Q out until after I posted this thread lol!!! Some vintage just can't be duplicated!!!

FilterFunk and superheavyfunk like this.
  9. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Is it completely dead? You can have mine. PM inbound

10. Cmobe

Cmobe

Jun 16, 2015
    PA & MD USA
    It still works, but it shorts out now and then. I think its near the tip of the power supply that goes into the pedal.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021