Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Doctor q's? *Help please*

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm out on a voyage cross the seas of the worlds to find the envelope filter of my dreams, i've read in a swedish gearmagazine about this "new" Electro harmonix pedal called Doctor Q, as curious as i was i did on search on the TB forum, got several opinions about it but there's one thing i liked to be answered;

Is the pedal made for use with a bassguitar? I saw this "bass switch" and i started wondering. Well if the funkadelic/Parliament bassists used it, it's got to be good, right?

Anyway, i can get ahold of a new reissue or an original from 1975(!), the older one is a bit pricier but i can afford it, but i can't try it before i buy it, but i know they are great guys that's selling it (a store in sweden). I don't know how the condition is on the older one but i can always grab the phone and ask.

So which should i look into, a reissue or the older one, or another pedal?

BTW, all clips i have heard of it are played on a guitar, does anyone have a link or something to clip(s) played on a bass?

2. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    anybody? :bawl:

3. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    It's not made especially for bass guitar - the 'bass' switch just changes the filter response. The Dr Q is a pretty basic envelope filter, just about as simple as you can get (circuit-wise); this also means there are some minor irritations (eg the processing of the input sound to achieve the envelope filtering is very simple, and hence the decay of the filter doesn't sound as smooth as something like the MutronIII) and limitations (eg - again - the processing of the input audio is restricted to a sweeping the filter up/open sound only, you can't get the sweeping-down sounds like on the Mutron III). There is no advantage in getting an older one in terms of 'mojo' or sound; in fact, it's possible the older one either has some minor problems that need fixing now or will need fixing ASAP.

Still, despite all this, you might still like it and it might work with your playing style. Just bear in mind that it's quite limited in terms of parameters for adjusting both the sound produced and your control over this sound.

HTH

Mike

4. If you're interested in an EHX envelope filter go with the Q-Tron. I've heard them used on both bass and guitar in the same band and it was absolutely spectacular sounding. They can get a bit raunchy at really high volumes, but with a light touch that can be easily fixed according to the guy that was using it. It was very loud and very clean so I trust what he said to be true. Chain in an octaver and perhaps some chorus and you'd be in business for some serious funk.

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I've just recently sold a 1977 Dr Q on ebay - ( £54 ) and yes its a pretty simple pedal. It worked fine though, and you can adjust the " wah " on the internal pot. Its not overly versatile, but they're cheap

Remember though if not using a battery, EH pedals have 3.5mm power input, not the Boss type.

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I got a fabtastic Mp3 clip of a Mini Q in action, but i dont know how to let you listen to it. :meh:

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Got a soundclick account? It's free

www.soundclick.com

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for your great posts everyone! If anyone else want to chime in, be my guest :)

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks pal..i'll register a new account and upload the clip for ya

10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Well it uploaded, but do you think i can find it ? Nope.

Where it went is a mystery. And what would the link URL be ?

11. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Problem over .. just found a clip of the Mini Q in this forum, by lay_a_groove.

Its a superb clip too. Fantastic playing by both groove and the guitar player

12. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks for the clip! :)

How would you compare the Mini Q to the Doctor Q?

13. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    My mini Q is still in the post, but judging by lay a grooves sound clip and my old Dr Q, the mini wins it. It seems to "talk" more than Dr. It has a weird bubbling sound that i couldnt get out of the Dr.

An A/B test in the real world would be much better though.

14. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Well i talked to my local store yesterday and they are taking one home for me to try and if i don't like it they send it back, if somebody else don't want to buy it :)

Can't wait to try it out :hyper:

15. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Went to the store again today and they said that the pedal might take up to 2 months or longer to get, i don't know if i can wait that long because i'm going to have one very soon at a gig, i have borrowed a bassballs pedal but it just doesn't sound the way i like it, to much of a "talking like effect". I want that "underwater quack" effect.

The pedals i can get for a low price are:

Russian/US Bassballs
    EHX Mini Q-tron
    Digitech Synth wah
    DOD FX25B Envelope filter
    Boss AW-2 Auto wah
    Boss AW-3 Dynamic wah

These aren't in stock at the store so i still have to order them but i can get them over a day or two. Which do you recommend and why? I don't think i lean to the Digitech because i want a analogue pedal.

*EDIT:* I remember now that the BOSS AW-2 Auto wah is in stock, any comments on that?

16. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think the "underwater quack" can be gotten with a Q-Tron or Mini-Q, but my experience with the Dr. Q is that it's less noticeable in the band mix than the Bassballs. Frankly, I just gave up on envelopes for the time being and just use a Phaser when I want that type of sound; it just cuts through in my situation much better.