1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Documentaries

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NickyBass, Dec 15, 2006.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    So, who has a great documentary that is a must see?

Several that I've seen lately

-Paradise Lost 1 & 2. About the murder of 3 grade school children in West Memphis Arkansas and, well, basically, the witch trail of 3 boys who listen to Metallica and wear black clothing. Hard to believe that it could happen in this century. This film sparked a whole movement of supporters for the 3 boys, who are presented in the second one.

-Microcosmos. Great videoography of the life of insects.

-Devil's Playground. A look at Rumspringa. Rumspringa is a rite where teenaged Amish kids leave the community to expierience the English world and decide if they want to follow the Amish lifestyle, or leave.

-Flight from Death: The Quest for Immortality. Discusses the theory of Earnest Becker who believes that everything that we do is motivated by the fear of death.

-Spellbound. Follows around children involved in spelling bees.

-Union Square. Follows around several heroin addicts who live in NY.

I have so many more great one's, but these are the one's that come to mind. So, anyone have a reccomendation??

2. Startup.com: Kind of an oldie, but I enjoy it. It's about two friends who start a small internet-based company in the late 90's. It follows them from the inception of the company, to the collapse when the dot-com bubble bursts.

Scratch:About turntabling, its history and where it is today.

People Like Us: Examines class differences across America and how economic inequality has created sub-culture in America, from the Noveau-riche, to the WASPs, to the Rednecks. Really really interesting and important stuff.

Do You Speak American?:Goes around examining different accents and the development of American English over history, and today.

DiG!:Follows the bands, the Dandy Warhols and the Brian Jonestown Massacre through the friendship of the two bandleaders. Shows the breakdown of the friendship when the Dandys take off while the BJM remain obscure. Really cool mid-late 90's nostalgia trip (Does it count as nostalgia when it's less than 5 years ago?)

News from a Personal War: This comes with the City of God (Cidade de Deus) DVD. It's about the drug trade in the Brazilian favelas in Rio De Janeiro. Short, but very powerful.

We Jam Econo: Documentary about the Minutemen (the band), great concert footage. Really touching.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ghengis Blues -about a blind blues singer who learns Tuvan throat singing and travels to Tuva (seriously a great man and a great docu, a must-see).

Brother's Keeper -about some illiterate farm boys who grow old together living in a one-room shack, and one is murdered... by whom?

The Nomi Song -actually a terrible docu, very poorly made, but the subject Klaus Nomi is so fascinating and wonderful that it is still worth seeing.

New York Doll -about the bassist for the band the New York Dolls, and the long strange path of his life.

The Yes Men -about some fantastic pranksters.

I'm sure I'll remember some others later. :)

4. My all-time favorite is still probably "Hoop Dreams".

5. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Spinal Tap :bag:

6. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Frontline: Is Wal-Mart Good For America?

7. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    God yes.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Dallas SWAT. You don't have to guess what it's about, you just need to know it's brilliant! Andre and Terigi are the boys.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes..this is the pinnacle of feature documentaries IMO along with any of several docs by Errol Morris.

If you haven't seen "On the Ropes" then you should if you liked Hoop Dreams. Great docu about some inner-city people trying to make it in the boxing world.

I'm a big fan of feature length documentaries. Some others I've enjoyed include:

American Movie - classic, touching, hilarious

Spellbound - someone mentioned it earlier...a fun one

The Fog of War - McNamara at his most frank and Morris at his most captivating. Incredible movie-making here. The Oscar was well-deserved.

Murderball - It was overhyped but a good movie nonetheless.

Beyond the Gates of Splendor - very well done.

Hands on a Hardbody - this one is a ton o' fun

bc

10. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Can't think of the name, but there's a pretty sweet documentary about the history of metal on VH1.

11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Oh yeah, Fog of War was great. Brothers Keeper was good too.
    There is another great one called 'Farmingville' about illegal immigrants. That one is incredible. Absoultutly tops.

And 'Blind Spot: Hilter's Secretary.' Great film, but hard to read the subtitles since they were a similiar color as her shirt.

12. I think that was "A Headbanger's Journey" or something along those lines. It was really good, I enjoyed it.

13. Hacking Democracy

14. The Last Waltz

15. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The Color of War

The Living Edens (not sure if this series counts - but I could watch this over and over)

16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I will go with Roger and Me. One of the better documentaries.

17. Lately it has been I Know I'm Not Alone- Michael Franti

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter -about a man who repairs electric chairs, who got embroiled in Holocaust-related historical revisionism.

Jupiter's Wife -about a homeless woman and her mysterious past.

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill -about a guy who feeds and nurtures parrots outdoors in San Francisco (surprisingly touching story, especially if you're sentimental about animals).

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Outfoxed
    Control Room
    Wordplay
    Who Killed the Electric Car
    Comedian (Yes, it's got Seinfeld in it, but is still pretty good)
    Why We Fight
    Crumb
    Enron: Smartest Guys in the Room
    Grizzly Man
    The Corporation

...there are more, I just can't remember a ton off hand. See so many, it's hard to pull them outta the fuzz that is my memory.

20. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa