1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DOD 250 for bass (mod?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ocoaibass, May 15, 2011.

1. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Jan 9, 2010
    I picked up one of these because Al Cisneros from Sleep/Om/Shrinebuilder uses one. I got it on the cheap and have heard that it is a an easy and versatile mod pedal so I'm stoked. Of course I'll give it a shot as is, first. Since I'll probably do at least a mod or two regardless of whether or not I return them to factory, I wanted to ask TB what people recommend for mods on this pedal. For those of you that are curious, this is the reissue version of the yellow box. Not an 80's vintage box, the grey box, or the yngwie 308 version.

I'm using it on bass, mostly as a warm boost. I'd like to push a little growl into my tone for that 70's style overdrive & get my tubes breaking up just a little bit more than they do. I've been using the MXR Micro Amp to do this, but its just not quite what I want. Its a bit more of a honk and grit instead of warm growl. I'll go ahead and say that I'll probably do a true-bypass mod first off, just because. I've heard its a waste on this pedal, but unless someone can convince me, it seems like a no brainer.

I play a 70's Rickenbacker 4001 with a hi-gain 4003 bridge pickup installed into a Fender Bassman 300 PRO using KT-88s, made by JJ's. I use DÁddario Pro Steels .125-.65, tuned BEAD.

My pedal setup is:

Ernie Ball passive volume pedal>Crybaby bass wah>BOSS ODB-3 (indyguitarist mods to cut screeching highs & add bass)>MXR Micro Amp>EHX Holy Stain>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX MicroPOG>EHX Holy Grail>amp

These are all connected by large gauge George L's cables. I'm also thinking of adding the MXR Bass Envelope Filter, but that's for another thread.

I've heard there are mods to increase bass, create a warmer clip, restore it to original specs, turn it into a grey box or MXR+, and so on. Who has done these or heard one with one of these mods? Anything better about the Mojo mod versus the Analogman? And lastly, when you're talking cap values or impedance levels, can you tell me whethere you're change to increase or decrease a tonal characteristic required increasing or decreasing a cap value. I'm still new at this mod thing.

2. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    I've used a stock 250 as my primary bass od for almost 10 years. Doesn't really need any mods, to my ear, although using it with a clean blend can be useful. It reproduces plenty of low end. Granted I'm not sure how similar the other various incarnations may be.

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I played with a similar setup to yours when I had my DOD.
    I had mine modded to allow for different clipping options, input/output caps, and added a tone stack (big muff style).

I ended up keeping the stock input/output caps and 1 LED/1 silicon diode. I would suggest the tone stack after output of the circuit! It made it even more usable.