dod 250 preamp/od

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 21, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    does it retain low end? and can you get a little grit out of it as well as a lot of grit?
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Retains the low end pretty well in subtle settings. Sounds range from so minute that you can't tell whether you have it on, all the way to heavily overdriven tones.

That being said, I mainly use mine for my Les Paul (git). For as cheap as the 250 is you really don't have much to lose. I got mine for 30 bucks used. Scour the For Sale forums and save yourself from taking the value drop from buying new.
  3. I can't recommend these things enough. For the price nothing beats it. You can dial in pretty much all the grit you need, however there is some loss of the low end on the higher gain levels, but it's pretty transparent when on lower levels.

Best thing about it, is that it is so damn responsive - if you play quiet you get a clean bass sound and when you really dig in you add the grit.
  4. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    They are great but I wouldn't say it retains the low end and it isn't true bypass as well don't know if this is a problem for you.

For the money its great in fact its probably the best OD for under 100-150 pounds or dollars but if you have loads of cash and want real quality go for the fulltone bass driver I heard they are great.

Hope this helps
  5. PaulWeapon

Jan 17, 2005
  6. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i just picked one of these up from music123 and must say it lives up to the good things ive heard about it. obviously its a fair simple pedal but i was big time impressed with this thing right off the mark. i dont think it loses much low end at all.
  7. mmmmmmm. I like the sound of that sample, and now I have GAS again. Was that the DOD or the muff?
  8. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I just scored one and have to say that I lose no low end. At about 3/4 gain, it sound like a slightly overdriven SVT or something.

I love it compared to other OD's..

For $30+ you can't beat it...I do wish it had an LED function, though..
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like mine a lot. I use it for a clean boost preamp for one of my basses that isn't as high output as my others.

I also use it for OD, with my other basses. At lower gain settings, it works as any overdrive should. Clean and transparent, unless you dig in hard. The harder you dig in, the more grit you get. Without losing a lot of low end. But at higher gain settings, as others have said, it does rob your lows. I have a different setup for extreme grit & grind, so the DOD works well for what I need.