Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOD 250 vs Digitech Bad Monkey vs Ibanez PD7

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Oct 12, 2005.

1. I know there has been a lot of topics about these pedals but i havent seen a topic with direct comparisons. I just want some opinions about them because I am definately gonna buy 1 of them i just don't know which one. And BTW it is no possible to try the pedal's out before buying.

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi man,

i'm really interested in this too, coz i haven't seen any dod250's in melbourne ever...

however, when i was bored in the city one day, i went into cranbourne music up near melbourne central station, tried the bad monkey. i was pretty impressed. can go from clean to pretty gritty, eq is strong although i thought that it sounded a bit artificial with the bass boosted, made it a bit touchy for me to play. but it's cheap to and true bipass... i really wanna try the 250. but anyway, i'll leave this thread for people who can compare them...

3. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I'm interested in this also since I can't try any of them either. My question is which one does the mild grind better.....

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    i thought the bad monkey was pretty good. kinda gritty.

apparently the 250 is more fuzzy...

damnit! im speculating again...

5. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    IIRC no Digitech pedal is True bypass, correct me if i'm wrong!

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I haven't tried any Ibanez pedal so i can't comment that but i have tried the Bad Monkey and the DOD 250 yngwie model, according to what i have read the Yngwie and the reissue are very similar.

For my review of the Yngwie do a search in the distortion mega thread but to do a comparison of the two you mentioned i prefer the Digitech. It feels very natural and a bit creamy. In my own personal OD/Dist pedal test the Bad monkey won and i have tried around 20-25 pedals from known brand names, there aren't many boutique brands here.

7. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    None of those pedals are true bypass. I have a DOD 250 but I've only tried the other two in stores, so I can't give a real comparison. The DOD is pretty creamy OD. You can also keep the gain down and use it for a boost. Some do not have a problem with low end loss, I experienced some. But if you used this with a blend knob on a loooper, it would be KILLER! I thought the Ibanez was pretty cool -- had a variety of sounds, although I thought the attack switch was a bit over the top for me (unless I was going for a Kings X type of sound). I remember liking the Bad Monkey but can't remember any specifics.

8. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Personally, I didn't like the DOD 250 very much, though mainly because it didn't do what I wanted. It was fine as a very light overdrive, but anything more dramatic and I felt there was pretty annoying low-end loss.

I used to have a Bad Monkey too, which I liked a lot (The bass control was a winner) - but I sold it to a guitarist when I found an original Marshall Guv'nor. Never the less, it was a lovely pedal. As previously mentioned, it sounds 'creamy'.

9. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Ive got the DOD 250 and should be getting the Digitech Bad Monkey soon.

The thing about the DOD is that when you turn the Gain up, the bass response is cut. Doesnt bother me too much though. I use mine before a Hartke Bass attack and although the pedal is great standard, the Hartke really brings the best out.

Im interested in the also Digitech because it has variable low/high pass filter, so there shouldn't be too much bass loss.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    sorry my mistake about the bypass...

so if your using the dod250 to just add a little grit to your sound, not much gain, it preserves that bottom end?

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i have owned both the pd7 and 250. it goes like this: the pd7 is more versatile and probably more bassy, but it is also a bit noisier than the 250. the 250 is pretty good, but i sold it.

12. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    my post from another thread:

Bad Monkey all the way. I tried the DOD250 and allthough I liked the OD tone, it hissed too much through my tweeter, made a loud noise when switching, and sucked out low end.

I tried the BM at the advice of someone on this board (can't remember who) and my OD search was over. The tone was similar the 250 (maybe not as wide range of distortion) but what I liked was that the pedal is silent through my rig, no unwanted hissing and the low EQ is great for compensating any bass freq. lost.

I think the Bad Monkey is also "Active Bass" friendly ... but it may not be your choice if you want a wide array of OD/Distortion sounds (for that I would get the PD-7)

Plus I still never got used to the dod not having an LED. After about 8 beers and 3 sets, the LED on the BM comes in handy!

Please try it out before writing it off! I believe I paid like $40 at GC .....