Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOD 250 vs P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by seanm, Feb 13, 2005.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think this is a pickup problem, so bear with me.

I bought a DOD 250 pedal to mod. I then found that at low gains, the E string would distort if I wasn't very carefull about plucking, while the other strings where still clean.

I assumed it was the DOD, but when I tried my Hag, the problem went away.

I have the pickups set in the normal ^ shape. Is it normal for the E string to have more output than the others?

I thought I had the string levels balanced, but maybe I tend to want more bottom end and subconciously boost it?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

It's normal for the E to have more output in the sense it's a larger string and therefore transmits a proportionately stronger signal. Typically, manufacturers compensate for that in pup design. Some pups like original MM's it's a known issue. Most pups do balance well if they're in an appropriate bass adjusted properly. A pup will also distort if it's too close to the string - shouldn't if it's 3/16 from the string.

The way to check for it would be to play it without the pedal. If the bass doesn't distort without the pedal it's either an incompatibility with the pedal, adjustments needed on the pedal, or something that exists the pedal brings out but is not apparent through the amp. I don't use pedals but should be one of those I'd think.

If it distorts without the pedal I'd drop the E side and check for change - maybe do the same if adjustments don't alleviate it with the pedal.

Some pups will distort like that and it may be normal for that pup but it's not normal in general. There could also be something about that particular neck in terms of resonance but that's remote and nothing you could do anything about aside from getting rid of the neck and/or bass.

And obviously, if you're using an attack aggressive enough to drive the string to where, in essence, it's adjusted to close - that would be normal. Drop the pup or use a more civil attack.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That makes sense.

I have the pup about 4/16" from the E string.

The amp is not even close to distorting. In this setup I basically have the amp at 1 and in band situations I play it at 7 with no distortion.

I think the pedal is just being driven to distortion. I will have to look into the design more. Thanks for the help. I really just didn't want to spend a lot of time going down the wrong path.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yep if no distortion direct to the amp, it's not a pup issue.