Dod 250 Wiring

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dexterward, Sep 8, 2005.

1. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just bought a used dod 250 from some guy last night. He told me it had been modded by his tech. I asked him what his tech did exactly, and he said he cut one of the wires, which "allowed him to change the volume of his amp by using the level knob"

He then opened it up, and showed me where, of the five wires coming from the pcb on this little plastic jack, the RED wire was cut..

What i'm wondering is, if anyone who has the 250 could tell me what this wire originally went to, that would be great.
    the pedal sounds great as it is, but i've never heard the unit stock, and i'd like to get a chance to.

any help you can give is appreciated

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
  3. Not sure why you would have to cut a wire to do that. Turning up the level on any stock pedal will normally change the volume of your amp... won't it?

Anyway... typically, red wires are used for + power. Can't imagine the guy cut that. But, you never know...

From the schematic, it looks like the five wires coming from the PCB should connect to...
    1. the stompswitch (thru to the input jack)
    2. the gain pot
    3. the level pot
    4. + power
    5. - ground

Can you trace the wires and comfirm that? I honestly would not think of cutting any of those connections.

~ Charlie
  4. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    Can't understand what hes done but the red wire on mine goes to the power jack.

I've only got 4 wires from the PCB

Green -> switch
    Black -> - power
    red -> + power
    blue - > input jack

There are 2 purple wires, both go to the switch and each jack.

Hope this helps!?!
  5. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the help guys, i'm stumped as to why he would cut this wire.... So, coming out of the white plastic plug that connects to the pcb, i've got a grey wire running to the switch, a white one that goes to the ac adapter socket, a green one that also goes to the socket, the stub of the cut red wire, and a black wire that goes to the other end of the switch.

I'm really clueless when it comes to reading schematics, so i don't really know what's going on.

I wish i had a camera so i could post a pic of what it looks like.

I'm also emailing the guy i got it from, to see if he can ask his tech what specifically he did to it. (I'm not sure this guy even knows, the answer he gave me was pretty vague and incorrect sounding)

I just got a reply from the guy i bought the pedal from and this is what he said (it's still a little vague): " I spoke to my tech last night at the jam.. he said that the red wire is sort of like an electrical governer for the pedal... releasing it's duty to the circuit board allowed me to use the level on the pedal sort of like a volume, giving my leads more power and smoothness of sound because of volume. So basically, it allowed me to play louder smoothing out my amps distortion if the gain was down and the level was up on the pedal..."

I still have no idea though what this wire was connected to though, or if there's any truth to what this guy's tech is saying.... i'm sure some of the electronics saavy TBers will be able to shed some light on it.

6. mumbo jumbo :rollno:
    Sorry, that tripe makes ablolutely no sense.

~ Charlie
  7. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, that's what I thought too.....

I'm still curious as to what the heck it used to go to though
  8. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    If there is anyway you can post a pic of it, it would help loads.
  9. dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Unfortunately, I don't have access to a camera, or I would have posted a pic originally...

I also posted the same question on the diystompboxes forum, and someone over there clued me in that the 250 only uses 4 of the 5 pins on the white plug type thing coming from the pcb. Therefore, it looks like the guy I bought this from got taken for a ride by his "tech".... the red wire that was supposedly removed couldn't have done anything, because the pin doesnt' even connect to anything on the pcb....

Well, i'm relieved that I have a stock 250 to play with, and i'm about to email the guy i got it from to warn him to stay away from this 'tech'.....

Thanks for the help guys