DOD Bass30

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Nov 18, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Theres a shop nea by thats selling on of these in one of their huge sale things for $60, its the only thing on the list that interests me, so i might take up the chance and buy it, if i dont like it, i can sell it

can anyone give me some feedback on this beast? ive read some bits and bobs on and they didnt seem too happy, it was just a bit of plastic with circuit boards. anyway i tried doing a search, but i could only use the words bass and dod, so the results were rather broad.

anyway can anyone gimme some insight into this thing?

2. well, I have a DOD Bass30, and its been collecting dust for a year now. for $60, maybe its almost a decent price. I have been trying to get rid of mine two months after I bought it. But, I suppose this doesn't help much, so I will tell you more, and i will admit it doesn't completly suck. anyways, as for good things, It can bi-amp (which may be worth 60 bucks to you) I used it to biamp a lot in the first two months, I would do thing like send the lows to my bass amp and the highs to a guitar amp (yes I know, like John Entwistle) i turned on the distortion on the guitar amp(yes, like John Entwhistle) and it sounded really cool. I liked that. I also did stuff like put a wah pedal in between the low out of the Bass30 and the bass amp, and put something like a delay in between the high out of the Bass30 and the guitar amp, so I got some pretty cool sounds from there. that was about all I liked about the Bass30. Well, that and the whammy effect. anyways, the amp models were so-so, all the effects were pretty boring, just the ones you would expect, tremolo, chorus, flanger. The flanger could only go from barely there to extreme flange, the flange was pretty unusable. the distortion was alright, I kind of like distortion with a little bite, but even with the treble turned all the way up, it still didn't sound too good. I guess effect boxes are pretty subjective. I didn't really like it, but I am extremely happy with my ART Nightbass SE ($125 used). Of course, I have friends who can't live without their eventide harmonizer (3400 dollars). so if you can, try it out. But I would save your 60 dollars and save for a Zoom BFX708 II (one of my personal favorites, second to my ART Nightbass)