Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DoD Dimension 3 - Terrible Hum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RobertUI, Jul 18, 2005.

1. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I just picked up one of these off eBay, and while it DOES affect my signal, there's a REALLY bad hum that it introduces. This isn't some small annoyance, but a HUGE flat out hum.

Setup is a my '92 JP-90 going into the input on my Rocktron Gainiac (I've tried without this in the loop) going into the Dimension 3 going into my Hartke HA4000 head. The head going into a 4x10 and a 1x15. Regardless of the pickup choice, the hum doesn't change, and when I have tried going into either of the effects loops on the amp (against the direction of Hartke) the hum is still there. All 3 pieces of gear are mounted in a 4 space rack.

My thought is that there's a grounding issue, so I tried the different grounds on the amp (no change). Obviously (or not) all 3 items are being plugged into the same circuit (either all on the same power strip or at least into the same duplex outlet).

Any ideas what might be causing this? I don't believe the item to be defective because I actually read one review that mentioned a bad hum (I assumed that it was a setup problem). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :meh:

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Have you got any ground loops going on there?

3. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Maybe, I am not sure what you mean by this? (This is why I'm here too... sorry to be dense).

:confused:

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ill direct someone into this thread who knows way more than me about it :)

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  6. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I should probably point out that the "wall wart" is not the original and is rated at 1000ma instead of the 300ma that's called for. This COULD be the problem, sorry that I didn't mention that before.

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    No, there is no such thing as using a wallwart with too much amprage. That couldn't do a thing...

Alex

8. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Alex, I think that this IS indeed the problem. I am not sure however that I see how to get rid of the problem, I'll keep reading though, to see if I can figure it out. The one annoying thing about the effects unit is that there's no "ground" on it (I realize that it is grounded by the chassis).

Thanks!

9. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I was typing that as you were posting the grounding thing! Thanks for clearing the amprage thing up tho!

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    have u tried running it with a battery to check whether it is caused by the power supply or not?

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Its a 1 space rack unit, there are no batteries... :p

12. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Thanks for handling that before my head exploded. It seems like the useful links are dead on that page.

What I am trying to figure out is if simply isolating the unit will take care of the problem (so that the ground wouldn't go through the unit)?

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    there you go i read over that.. i didnt actually realise DOD made rack gear.. the reason i mention it though is that i experienced a similar hum on my DOD 250, and when i changed adapters that hum dissappeared.. it was probably the wrong cycle rate or whatever the terminology is..

seeing as they all run on the same power supply though, i spose its unlikely the problem lies there..

14. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    THEN! (drum roll please)

http://www.danabgoods.com/Humfrees/
    [​IMG]

Alex

ps. I answer the post GOOD!

15. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Alex, you sir ARE the man! You know I remember seeing these things in the past and couldn't imagine WHY on earth (pun intended) you'd need them... hmm now I know!

I thank you! and I'll post my results after I have tested out!

Thanks,
    Rob:hyper:

16. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Cool man, I am glad I could help... They also protect your nice rack gear from rack rash... I <3 HumFrees... Well I did when I had a rack... ;)

cheers

Alex

17. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    First of all, I have to thank Alex for his knowledge and willingness to share it! WooHOO! Being new (well new AGAIN) to the world of rack gear, this is the first time (oddly enough) that I've had to deal with the ground loop problem.

I haven't tried the "humfrees" yet, but they're on order. I DID however take my effects unit out and place it on a book on top of my rack and VOILA the hum's gone. I am not sure that I like the effect, but that's for another thread :-D

Thanks again for the speedy responses! Oh, and thanks for not pouncing too bad on the brain fart with the 300ma effect using a 1000ma wall wart, physics escaped me in my panic that I just purchased a paperweight off eBay (a paperweight in the form of a DOD effects rack).

Ciao!
    Rob

18. RobertUI

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    The humfrees arrived today and alas, my problem is completely solved. In fact, I didn't notice some of the other hum problems that I had, but they're gone too. I am amazed at how an incredibly cheap solution can do so much!

The DoD Dimension 3 isn't bad, but I'll reserve actually reviewing it for now, as I have only been goofing around with it.

Thanks all!

:bassist: