Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOD Envelope Filter...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    What exactly does an Envelope Filter do? Would it work good on bass? Is it usefull?

2. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Anyone?

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Envelope filters change the sound of the bass according to the envelope (volume) of the signal. Generally it translates into a wah type sound that you can control by varying your attack. Prime example of an envelope filter in action can be heard throughout Parliament's albums, as played by Bootsy. Check the first track of Mothership Connection when the whole band kicks in, you'll hear an envelope filter on the bass very clearly.

If you want to get into envelope filter I'd recommend you avoid the DOD, I found it to sound rather like poo, but then again Flea and others have used it successfully so what do I know.

The Boss AW2 Autowah is not a really good envelope filter but its a great Autowah (duh), kind of like a vibrato except it goes wahwahwahwahwah at a certain rate. Very annoying if you leave it on.

The new AW3 is pretty nice, and actually has good filtering. Doesn't cost too much either.

I personally use the Qtron and am happy with it. It is modeled on the granddaddy of EnvFilters, the Mutron and they sound pretty similar. These start getting pricey.

4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    So the harder I hit the string the more "wah" I get?

5. You got it, my old bass teacher picked up that Dod filter on a closeout, and he loved it. He could play soft and have almost no wah at all, then he would rip into it, and his "funk level" would go up ten fold. I wouldn't mind pickin one up myself if I could find one for cheap.
    -Nate

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've used a DOD envelope filter for years. It's hard to control compared to some I've played, but has a "wetter", funkier sound. I used to use it a lot when slapping, but lately I use it more as a tone control when playing dub or reggae. I set the sensitivity very low, so that it never triggers, or I set it so it only triggers a bit when I hit it hard. Very bottomy dub sound. If I had the money, I would probably buy a Qtron.

7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've found that the DOD causes a very noticable drop in volume when activated. If you can see your way past that, it does have the ability to create a nice "dubby" sound.

8. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Best one I've found is the EBS Bass IQ- it's a triple envelope filter and is very user friendly, gig ready, and sounds great.

9. starchild2

starchild2 Guest

Bass IQ is the bomb ebs stuff is great.