DOD envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Apr 12, 2005.

1. i saw this effect on the flea instructional DVD and had to get it. before this i only had a zoom multi fx thing, which is pretty poo. this DOD pedal however, FUNKAYYYYY. anyone have any opinions on DOD pedals, and also the envelope filter can be used for guitar or bass... so i was wondering if other DOD pedals are the same, or any other pedal for that fact? :confused:

Peace and Funk :bassist:
  2. well, i never saw the DVD, but i am guessing you are talking about the FX25B, which is what i have. it is a pretty cool effect, not the best envelope filter imo, but for the price, its pretty good. i would suggest getting that one if you were to ask which one to get.
    DOD pedals are ok, i don't think they are great, but they get the job done.
    As for pedals that work for both bass and guitar, theoretically all pedals work for bass and guitar. its just a matter of what it ends up sounding like.
  3. I want to get one of those.

I have a DOD Bass Compressor that I bought at an absolute bargain brand new, its pretty sweet, does the job well, though you have to be carefull in setting it as it can become noisy, but you cna fiddle with it a bit and it will workout nicely.
    Im still on the lookout for one of those filters
  4. Check out ebay... theres always a envelope filter on there by DOD.. and if theres not... will be one shortly... theres one on there now for $25 AU at the moment. thats where i got mine. brand new for $50. so im not complaining!!! :bassist:
  5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've used one of the old DOD envelope filters for years. It is very funky, in both sound and function. I have to be really careful in how I set it and in how I play, but it has a great greasy tone. The range control has to be set very low and the sensitivity has to be just right. It provides a great dub tone if the sensitivity is set very low. I've had mine for ages and will continue to use it.
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I think its a great pedal for the money, but sorta a one trick pony. You can really only get one, maybe 2 good sounds out of the thing. It does respond better on a guitar than bass.
  7. I use a DOD Guitar EQ pedal.
  8. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I used to despise mine, one trick pony, doesn't respond well with my bass, blah blah blah, but I've grown more friendly to it, fun pedal to see how much you can get out of it's limited sounds.
  9. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I recently got one of these and they are very very cool for the money that is.

It's difficult to find a good sound with at first and the filter can be a bit difficult to control. I have recently tried a Emma Discumbobulator and I find the fx25b better only slightly its a bit more in your face oh and its like 1/4 the price.

The one in the flea dvd is the fx25 not the fx25b I'm told that the fx25 is way way better so up to you.

I also use a dod 250 od/pre and thats very good, drops some bottom end but not tons.

Hope this helps
  10. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have a DOD FX25 - and I can only use it on guitar. It sounded absolutely terrible with my bass. Maybe because it is active, but it couldn't respond to low frequencies well at all.

In saying that I like it for the guitar, quite and extreme sound but cool. I'd love to try the FX25b.
  11. what settings do u use on it when yall play? saying that each level on the knobs are one to seven... ive got mine all set just over halfway, at about 5. ive the the fx25b too by the way :bassist:
  12. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    MY settings which I'm not fully happy with at the moment is blend at 2 o'clock, Sens at 2 o'clock and range at 4 o'clock
  13. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Hmm, wouldn't it be possible to buy an FX25 and play about with it to change the frequency response range? I used to have an FX25B, it does sound awesome on my guitar, it was alright on bass but the control were all fairly useless. Definitely didn't sound anything like Flea's, but it was alright for messing about with. I used it with my distortion pedal to make it really trebly.
  14. Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Flea uses a q-tron now, he must of thort it was better, otherwise he would still be useing the dodfx25, he seem to get similar sounds from it.
  15. I ended up getting one from a tb'er here, (actually, he was wicked enough to "give" it to me, as customs were making me pay extra the exact same amount I'd settled with him... thanks Brian. you're a legend.)

The one i got is the fx25b, great little pedal, though Im having a bit of a problem with it. when the effect isnt wahing, it drops in volume considerably...
    Got to figure out a way to set that up so that I dont lose all dynamic on it... maybe with an LS-2 I could add a bit more meat to it...