Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOD envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by maimz, Jul 28, 2001.

1. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    anyone using one of these....either the reissue or the original..if anyone has any experience with either please reply...is there any penalty that goes along with the reissue? thanks.....

i am told the original is the dod FX25, that i had offered to me for $25 USD......

the reissue i am told is the filter 440(the green one) which i also have available to me......

thanks again.....for someone who has been on here for less than a week it sure is a great place to talkbass......

2. There are waaaaay better EV filters than the DOD but a totally cool trick is to set it so the filter doesn't open at all. A wicked dub-tool. You get a massive, warm subharmonic bump. I sold mine because of how weak and lame the sweep was only to re-purchase it a year later after finding this out. Smart guy, eh?

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I mostly agree with MSW, but there is something about the DOD that I like. I do love the dub effect; I've been playing reggae for 15 years, and if you set the sensitivity all the way down, you get a serious dub tone. I played in a reggae-funk band for a long time, and I used the DOD a lot for funky parts. It is very unpredictable, but that can be cool. I have envelope filters on a multi-effects unit now, and they are easier and more consistent to use, but aren't s "greasy". I could get some really weird stuff out of the DOD with a fretless.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've had one of these since 93 when I saw Flea use one in his "Instructional" video. I've never been able to find areally good setting for it. The lows just seem to jump out at you. If anyone knows anymore good settings for this pedal please reply.

5. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

ditto!

exact same situation.

6. Unless you take advantage of it's static filter dub-reggae tone the only decent setting for this box is at home or in your gig bag. It has a fairly violent sounding sweep that is most displeasing. It is not very sensitive to your playing at all. You can get a Mutron III+ reissue for about $200 now that is very expressive and way more versatile. Other cheapos to consider might be that Guyatone bass wah rocker thing (JohnP likes his allot) I haven't tried them but the EH Bassballs and Qtron seem popular. The Mini Qtron might be a cheap way to go as well?
    I set my DOD filter w/ the sensitivity minimal and use the range knob as a volume attenuator for the subharmonic lows.

7. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    hey you guys who can't figure out how to use the dod..I'll buy yours!- if it's the green fx 25. i need a spare.

Madsub said it all as to how to set it up for dub..but I still say that i like it for an ev filter wah..it's just that you need to get the sweet spot dialed in..and that depends on how hard you play, how you attack the fahhnk. it helps if you have someone set it for you while you are playing in your normal groove thang..if you sit there and go waahhh wahhnkknk then stop and turn the dial, repeat ad nauseum..that's not exactly how you play, right? (i hope not...) but if you are in a nice groove, playing like you normally do, then have someone help you..worked for me. This applies to every real analog pedal.

wow-ee...another anti gas remedy..I want to start a list.

anyway..bassheavy, cantstandya, maimz..if you want to sell yours, drop me a line. But give it a big try first..these things have way more going for them than the EH stuff.

8. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

that is the one, the FX25. im holding it in my hand. i dont think i wanna sell it, but i will give it another workout after i shower right now. i find it to be very touchy, especially when changing basses on it all the time.

ill report back

(and it's not a matter of figuring it out, it's only got two knobs, it just is kind of wack.)

9. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    take it in the shower with you!

sorry

but it IS a matter of "figuring it out", if only how to set the knobs for sensitivity to trigger the filter..also if you are changing basses..you'll need a few settings unless all your basses have the same output/pu's strings etc..

I am still trying to figure out how these two knobs on my P bass work..

10. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    cool thread......i guess i may as well buy one if its going to be $25 USD i can live with taking my chances......do you guys have experience with both the original and reissue.....also i have an original mutron III available to me so i may have to jump on it......

as for dub sounds..........i guess a 5 string would be essential for that stuff......also...who here has heard of matador records?

also.....what about drum and bass stuff......im really into that groove.....armed with my drum machines and my bass anything is possible....im starting to really feel the clicky dub stuff.....man that stuff hits lowwwwwwww!! are you guys playing through 18" cabs?

peace

11. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago

12. guac mole

guac mole

Jun 6, 2001
    San Diego, Ca
    man i must have had a lemon! i've tried several envelope filters, the FX25 was my first and it was horrible. it's not that i couldn't get a good setting, but rather it kept pooping out one me at random times--not cool. i've gotten it fixed 3 times(paid only one time though) and in the end it did the same thing. i tried the EH Q-Tron +, and that was better, but too bulky. i eventually settled for the EBS, expensive but it's worth every penny. i honestly believe it can stop a bullet, and still bring on the funk.

13. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    hey JohnP and chris....where are you guys from?

yeah.....squarepusher is cool......i wonder what he uses for beats....so far i have the following beatboxes to play with.

akai mpc60
    roland tr808
    roland tr909
    roland tr707-for sale
    roland tr727-for sale
    roland tr505-for sale

the drum and bass stuff i do is razor sharp though....and very dark......tech step style! my synths also are very good for dnb......peace

14. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    ummm dod does not = quality control..also, i think for ze fahnk..maybe a different pedal..like a mutron..but for dub..and that murky closed filter thang..fx 25 (one that works that is)

15. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
  16. JP is definitely from Chicago.....not Boston! I'm from Victoria,BC, Canada and have my own dub band (imagine that....) called Pacific Frontal System. We play dub in the style (stylee?) of On-u, Laswell, Wobble Scratch, King jammy....etc. Playing through 18's can be fun for you, not for your sound guy. My new DOD Fx25 craps out too. It actually cops that D+B sound fairly well...ultra-low sub with the occasional >BRAAP< when needed. I don't go for jungle really....that's drum+bass, right? Iuse a Mutron III+, Chunk EV filter and now my DOD, but just for dub.

17. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    nice to see a fellow canadian on here.....my friend "puffboy" does live p.a's out there in victoria.....

Mad subwoofer said he plays in the stylee of:

"On-u, Laswell, Wobble Scratch, King jammy....etc"

cool im wet behind the ears when it comes to dub...ive only heard the matador records stuff...quite good though....and clicky.....my sh09 is great for that dub sound......do you use any synths?

Mad subwoofer said:

"My new DOD Fx25 craps out too. It actually cops that D+B sound fairly well...ultra-low sub with the occasional >BRAAP< when needed."'

cool.....my stuff is really dark and less organic...thats how i would differentiate between drum and bass(tech step in my case) and jungle...jungle retains a more natural sound whereas tech step will sever your head......i use a very growly tone on my pj bass with almost no j pickup in use......a good comparison would be that for dnb there would be more use for playing notes higher towards the head of the bass with the left hand ....and having the right hand closer to the bottom bridge.......for a tighter more precise sound....
    jungle bass i would prefer to play the 12th fret area with the left hand and closer to the end of the neck with my right hand.....just be careful with muting....its also great for chords......mmm......i must go play....c ya

18. Where does this "Puffboy" do his thing? We need a regular knob-twiddler for our live sound system.
    The only synth I use is my Korg G5 bass synth.

19. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    ill talk to him for you........go to mp3.com and check him out.....he goes by puffboy on there as well(check the earnings!!!!)

he has an amazing setup! he does hard techno and is signed to stickmen recordings in toronto....he is an amazing man to have twiddlng knobs.....he does live sets all the time......and i think he even owns a bass.....a cort headless i think.....he has such a sweet studio......yeah......maybe he would let you play through his ms20......that would be cool! i think his minimoog has an envelope follower too....gotta love that.....the moogerfooger lowpass used the minimoog architecture....ill get on that..peace...

20. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I just got my fx25b (I think the B stands for bastard) but I could be wrong. :)

I think I could of bought a better filter pedal, but for the first time, I but on ebay, without comparing it to other pedals. Then again I'm a hundred miles from the nearest guitar store with simi descent gear. After days of playing around with it, I found some sounds that I like. I love the quack it makes in my rendition of "lowrider"