Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOD envelope filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oneoftheway, Dec 9, 2002.

1. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Hi

Does anyone know where i can get some sound samples of a DOD envelope filter.

Thanks

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Well, there are mixed reviews on this pedal. I own one and find it to be decent to poor. It really sucks out power and tone. There are only a few sounds that actually are decent out of it. But then again it is only what, $35. Like the saying says "you get what you pay for".

3. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    I am going to go to the music store now and try one out. I heard that flea uses one. im wondering who else does.

4. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    spend some more money and get the electro harmonix usa bass balls...its worth the extra bucks. flea interchanges his pedals often. in his instructional video with rivers phoenix he is using the dod. but in all other live pics of his pedal board, the bass balls or one of the electro harmonix q trons (a more tweakable envelope filter) is being used. i tried the dod also. but when i turned it on, it gave me this really strange frequency sound that didnt sound right. it also doesnt react as well to my bass how i like the bass balls does. its your choice though! good luck!

5. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    I was gunna get the new digitech one. But the problem is that i live in Australia so i dont know if I can get the bass balls here. When I listened to their sound samples i didnt think that it was the sound that i was after. Im more after the mr oysterhead kinda sound. does the DOD give tihs sound. Im proboly going to a music store in the next couple of days to try the DOD but it is about and hours drive to the store. It is amazine at how many stores dont stock envelope filters. Also I have being looking at the Boss one as well their sound samples didnt really give me something that i liked but will it give the mr oysterhead kind of sound. It dosent have to be perfectly that it just has to be that wet funky sound.

Thanks for all your help.

6. you won't find a better "dub tool" than the DOD FX25. Juts set it so that it doesn't open and say hello to subharmonic nirvana. I have owned close to a dozen of every kind of trendy popular EV filter and still this $25 box stays with me. It won't replace your Mutron but for a massive subharmonic pillow you couldn't do any better.

7. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Hi forgive me for sounding like a complete idiot but as this is my first envelope filter. i take it that subharmonic means that wet funky sound that im talking about. Cause that is basicaly all I want it for. I just really like the P-Funk and Oysterhead sounds. If I get one that gives me the right sound I want to do Mr Oysterhead as a cover with my band.

Thanks For all The Help

8. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    i have one..
    i dont use it much.. i prolly will soon though ill find a use for it.. my effects setup for bass was pretty weird..
    i dont play alot of funk though.. so i dig a clean sound.. that is more about cutting through than sounding reallly that much cooler or different although i wish i could find something to do with my EV filter..
    I have the DOD fx25b.. it has an extra knob so you can go from guitar and bass.. as far as range goes.. its a really good pedal though.. good luck mate

9. Nope. Subharmonic means subharmonic. Wet and funky this pedal ain't. Buy yerself a Mutron for truly squelchy wet and greasy filter tones; the DOD won't really do that....

10. Mutron III
    Ibanez AF-9
    EH Tube Zipper

. . . all good (and wet!).

~ Charlie

11. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I love the FX25. I use it for subharmonic dub AND wet funky sounds. I have an original one with the 2 big ol' knobs and avocado-green paint and I have one of the later 2-knobbers with the dark meatallic-green paint also. I just recomend staying away from the new 3-knobbers, theyy have poor tone. The secret to getting a great funky Flea-like sound out of the FX-25 is tons of compression. Run some lite copression before it and some heavy compression after it and you will get what you want.

12. The DOD is really in a class by itself. I use it AND a Mutron III to cover all bases. the FX25 is unbeatable for deep dub and that "jungle" or D&B style bass when you dig in. The Mutron or any other high-end analog filter will give you a tone much more textured and complex....really something when you tap into it. An EH Bassballs is cool but I wouldn't score one for my first filter as it isn't very versatile.