Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dod f25

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by warwickben, Apr 17, 2003.

1. am i the only one that has trouble getting good tones out of the dod f25

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    No. Most people have trouble getting good "auto-wah" sounds out of it. Good dub sounds are really easy to get out of it though. I've actually seen far more people say bad things about the FX25 than good. I think this can be partly be atributed to the fact that the newer 3-knob versions don't have any good sounds at all and the older 2-knob versions are kinda hard for most people to use. The trick is LOTS of compression. Some lite compression before the FX25 (any decent compressor pedal will do) and some heavy compression after the FX25 (any decent rack-mount compressor will do). This technique will get you many of the Flea sounds a lot easier. I'm definitely no RHCP fan (actually, I don't care for them at all) but I do like Flea's individual sound and this set-up I have described will get you "that" sound used on a number of RHCP recordings. The only other way is to alter your playing technique and pay constant attention to the way the FX25 is reacting. I personally love the FX25 and was one of my first pedals. I've got a really old one in the light-green with the 2- big "stove-top" style knobs and one of the later metallic-green ones with the 2 smaller knobs. The older one sounds slightly better for "auto-wah" type aplications and the newer one sounds better for dub.:)

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I was just looking at the Unibass thread and it reminded me of something I long forgot about. There's a site I once contributed some samples to. Here's the link http://www.geocities.com/basseffects/dod.html The first six samples are mine under the name "Cunning Mingus" (which is the name I used to post under on harmonycentral, but haven't posted there in a long while). I did these samples almost a year and a half ago. The first FX25 sample is of it set for dub. That sample is funny because it's actually the first time I ever attempted to play anything dub-like. The second sample is of the FX25 set for auto-wah with slap/popping the whole thing. I have since come up with better settings (more bass) but it sounds OK and you get the idea. 20hurtz has a good sample of the FX25 set for funkiness with a real wide sweep, too.

4. i got one of the new ones with a blend. i can get a good sound for finger style. kinda like oysterhead. but not the same. i can get a dub sound but it not that great, probly cause i havent tried hard enough. any ideas for a slap sound.