Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOD FX25 or Mini Q-tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    what is better?

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I use the DOD on occasion. There is a noticable drop in volume output when the pedal is engaged, which can be annoying at times. I don't use it for the drippy funk sounds that it was designed for, though. I keep mine set so that the envelope never opens and I get a pretty cool sounding "dub" tone.

I've never used the Q-Tron or the Mini-Q, so I can't comment on either of those.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a Mini Q Tron and I really dig it. There is a boost in the lows and overall volume when engaged, but there is a mod floating around here somewhere to rectify this. I haven't tried the DOD but the Mini Q is pretty sweet.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I currently have the fx25b and I feel that the mini q is better for a band situation as the dod has a volume drop while the mini q has a volume boost.

Personally I wouldn't have either and am currently in the process of replaceing the dod unless I keep it as a dub tool.

EHX have variable quality as well, I feel safe giging with the dod but not with the ehx.

You may want to also try the guyatone br-2 bottom wah rocker

Hope this helps

5. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    is the guyatone br-2, a envelope filter? and can you get them in the uk?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah it is an envelope filter I'm just wait for mine so I can't tell you if it's any good, www.soundsgreatmusic.com they don't have any in stock but they can get them for £55

Hope this helps

7. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    yea it does thanks alot, can you post some sound clips when you have it?

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I can, fyi I posted a clip of the dod fx25b last week or so do a search it should pop up,

Feel free to add me msn or aol if you want always good to talk to a uk tb'er

Hope this helps

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Wow that sounds cool smash, any chance of some sound clips?

Cheers

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sweet clips. Thank you.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have owned both and I got rid of the FX25B (sold it to our guitarist, for whom it works better). Not only was there a significant volume drop for me, but a low-end drop as well.

I still have and use the Q-Tron and it has served me well, but I'm actually finding that I'm using the envelope filter setting on my Digitech Synth Wah more and more.