1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DOD FX25 or Mini Q-tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    what is better?

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I use the DOD on occasion. There is a noticable drop in volume output when the pedal is engaged, which can be annoying at times. I don't use it for the drippy funk sounds that it was designed for, though. I keep mine set so that the envelope never opens and I get a pretty cool sounding "dub" tone.

I've never used the Q-Tron or the Mini-Q, so I can't comment on either of those.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a Mini Q Tron and I really dig it. There is a boost in the lows and overall volume when engaged, but there is a mod floating around here somewhere to rectify this. I haven't tried the DOD but the Mini Q is pretty sweet.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I currently have the fx25b and I feel that the mini q is better for a band situation as the dod has a volume drop while the mini q has a volume boost.

Personally I wouldn't have either and am currently in the process of replaceing the dod unless I keep it as a dub tool.

EHX have variable quality as well, I feel safe giging with the dod but not with the ehx.

You may want to also try the guyatone br-2 bottom wah rocker

Hope this helps

5. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    is the guyatone br-2, a envelope filter? and can you get them in the uk?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah it is an envelope filter I'm just wait for mine so I can't tell you if it's any good, www.soundsgreatmusic.com they don't have any in stock but they can get them for £55

Hope this helps

7. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    yea it does thanks alot, can you post some sound clips when you have it?

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I can, fyi I posted a clip of the dod fx25b last week or so do a search it should pop up,

Feel free to add me msn or aol if you want always good to talk to a uk tb'er

Hope this helps

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Wow that sounds cool smash, any chance of some sound clips?

Cheers

10. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sweet clips. Thank you.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have owned both and I got rid of the FX25B (sold it to our guitarist, for whom it works better). Not only was there a significant volume drop for me, but a low-end drop as well.

I still have and use the Q-Tron and it has served me well, but I'm actually finding that I'm using the envelope filter setting on my Digitech Synth Wah more and more.