1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DOD FX25 vs DOD 440 envelope pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Wow, John....they sound fantastic. I wish my FX25B sound that good.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    thanks. yeah, IMO the blend and LPF really helps the FX25 a lot.

3. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Hey John on your 440 clone, if you want an opto that is much faster in tracking the decay of the amplitude envelope than the VTL5C4/2, you could use the Silonex (now Advanced Photonix) NSL33SR7/2. The VTL5C4/2’s decay rate is measured in the 100’s of milliseconds, whereas the NSL33SR7/2’s decay rate is under 10mS. The “on” resistances of both parts are very similar, but the “off” resistances may be very different. The only thing you may have to change would be to parallel resistors across the elements in the NSL part to match the off resistances to the VTL part… to keep the frequency sweep similar.

I don’t know if it will sound better or not, but the response will be more accurate to the envelope.

-Frank

4. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    thanks for the tip Frank!
    I'd like to try that, but the problem is that Allied is the only one that lists it and they don't have any in stock.

5. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Bummer :(

API, the company that acquired Silonex, may send you engineering samples. I have had a lot of sample parts shipped directly to me from several manufacturers. I only had one company that refused to send me a sample that I wanted to try... so I designed the product using devices from one of their competitors.:bag:

-Frank

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    since i built the two DOD's and still was on an envelope pedal building kick, last week i also built a vintage MXR envelope filter (the cream colored one) which uses an entirely different type of circuit .
    it's a pretty good sounding EF and the only mod that i did was to add a depth control to it.

i etched a pcb for this one:

MXR-EvelopeFilter-01.

MXR-EvelopeFilter-02.

sideFX likes this.
  7. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Sweet thread. I am in the process of collecting all the ingredients to start building pedals from scratch, PCB printing and all. I just modded a printer last night to print PCB layouts to transfer onto the PCB board and have been tooling around with a breadboard for a few weeks.

I am hoping to create a single stompbox that sounds more or less like Mike Gordon from Phish playing Boogie On Reggae Woman. I figure it will take an envelope filter running into a fuzz. I am going to try to get them both on the same PCB and to fit into a reasonably sized enclosure. I only want two knobs: the amount of fuzz and the sensitivity of the envelope. Any other parameters can be handled with interior pots.

Do you think this will simply entail putting the circuit for the envelope filter onto the PCB, then running the output from the envelope filter to the fuzz circuit on the same PCB, then running the fuzz to the actual output? Or is this just wishful thinking on simpleness?

Also, any suggestions on clones I should use for the envelope filter and the fuzz? I was thinking the DOD440 into some kind of gated fuzz. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, a Chunk Systems Brown Dog and their 00Funk work very well together.

9. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I think those will probably be too advanced for me. I've definitely always wanted to try the brown dog tho. Thanks for the input.

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the Brown Dog isn't that complicated but the 00funk is. plus the 00Funk would need external controls since it's pretty touchy.

IMO, a brown dog going into a Mutron V would also work well.

11. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe I'll give this a shot. I can't seem to find schematics on the net for the brown dog, just threads about how it's illegal to copy schematics....

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    are you going to etch the PCB's?

13. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Yes.

14. I know this is a zombie thread, but how did you implement the clean blend, @johnk_10? Did you just add a linear pot after IC1 pin 7 and C11?

I'm thinking about building one of these. I can't seem to find so much as a mention about this mod anywhere except here! I'm sort of guessing at this point.

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    no, i just added a blend circuit to it.

Freekmagnet likes this.
  16. Hi @johnk_10 I checked out your website, amazing stuff.
    Do you happen to sell these pedals?
    Cheers.

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i sold an FX25B as a special order a while ago.