Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOD FX32 Meat Box Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jondog, Mar 24, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just got a Meat Box. It has the stupid DOD knob names on it, they should say Blend, 30 hz, 60 hz, Level. It has a dry out and an effected out.

I bought this in an attempt to replace my dead dbx 120xp. It was a lot cheaper, and does the same basic thing, but there are some differences. The DOD can get much less subtle, and occupies more octaver territory. You can also get a *lot* of subharmonic boost out of the DOD, I think more than the dbx (although I didn't have my dbx for very long :( ). It can do too much sub, even at low volumes, at least for my current speakers. Cool! I can't wait to get my 18" subwoofer! There is some distortion that I can't get rid of, which is really too bad, the dbx had none -- it's not enough distortion to be anything more than annoying. I think I'll end up running it w/ both the dry and effected outs, the dry should be enough to mask the distortion. If I can get the distortion under control, I think this is the type of thing that I'll leave on a subtle level all the time as a general tone fattener.

Does anybody have suggested settings?

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Cool. How much did it cost (I'm too lazy to look :D)?

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I gotta tell you, I returned a Meat Box because of the distortion. I couldn't fatten the sound without getting distortion, no matter how I set the thing. I wasn't looking for an octaver-type effect, but for expanding the bottom end, and I couldn't get it from the Meat Box.

I hate those stupid names DOD uses... :rolleyes:

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have 2...

Alex

5. I for one LOVE the gimmicky names. It is more subtle than an octaver but can be fun to kick in for dramatic effect. If you don't use the EQ knobs you can hear just the synth tone which is rather weak I am afraid. It is also of course, monophonic. I suppose you could call it a poor man's DBX 120XP but is hardly a substitute for the DBX's polyphonic, flawless tracking. Most of what you hear with the DOD is usually the EQ boost. At the fundamental of the B-string and the harmonic (30+60 hz.)
    The two settings I used were as follows; Synth tone 2:00,4:00,full+full. For a hefty boost 9:00,2:00,4:00 + level as need be.
    It's a cool box with a unique vibe and I am glad I have one. I don't use it really ever though...my DOD FX25 took it's place for a massive subharmonic boost box. For what it is, I think the Meatbox is a fun, eccentric little box.

[​IMG]

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's discontinued. I paid $24.50 on ebay.

I'll try those settings. I need to spend more time w/it, but I'm still hoping the dry out will mask the distortion, especially when the effected tone is sent to a subwoofer w/ no high end. You're right about the tracking, it's not close to the smoothness of the dbx, but it's also a lot cheaper.

7. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    $24.50???????????????????????????????????

YOU SUCK :bawl:

I payed over 4 times that... Man that sucks...

Alex

ps. just kiddin' about the you suck deal... ;)

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Well, I didn't get a box or manual to explain what Flank is. That must've been your extra $75 :D

I deserve a deal after losing my 120xp to a power surge the day I got it. :bawl: I asked dbx tech support to tell me where to buy a new power supply because I don't want to pay $75 to have a tech solder 3 wires, they did not reply.

9. Hi there,

yesterday I, once more, tried out that Meat Box at a local second gear-store... funny little pedal.

When I first noticed the pedal in that shop (a month ago) I thought it was an overdrive pedal. With that in mind, I tried it out... and woops, I wasn't really gettin' much overdrive :rolleyes: :)

I can tell you this IS a VERY funny pedal... it's hard to explain what it really does... but I liked it quite a bit (didn't pick it up yet though, maybe next month when I've got a little more cash to spend ;), it was only 35 Euro's though.)

Besides that, it's very noisy with certain settings; I don't know if that's normal. I liked the complete crazy noise/fuzz/rumble sound when I maxed out a few buttons... I thought it might be nice to goof around with it in my stonermetal band (ala Kyuss)... I just have a question about that sound: might it be dangerous to blow/damage speakers with the Meat Box maxed out? Just wondering about it... it could be stupid to use it that way, if I'd damage my amp/cab with it, wouldn't it? ;)

Also,
    what's the effect on the sound when one's using the 'Dry Out' jack?? I only tried out the regular output jack.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, you could easily damage your speakers if you crank it and play at loud volumes. It depends on the speaker though -- if your cab is designed to go down to 30 hz at high power you'd be fine. Most bass cabs don't go that low.

The dry out is just your straight tone. It doesn't change the wet out. I don't know if it's a true bypass dry out, but I didn't notice any tone degradation.

11. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Umm well I always use both outputs, I put a compressor on the wet to control the volume... works like a charm... Also if you but some reverb after it it gets rid o that nasty distorion - not sure why...

Alex

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Weird, I'll try it!

13. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I have both the DOD FX32 and the dbx 120XP.
    The DOD will only track a single note (monophonic) but does so over a pretty large range. It does distort even through 18s. 2 of the knobs on the pedal are just EQ boosts.
    The dbx 120XP is much cleaner and will track multiple notes(polyphonic). It only generates Subharmonics over a single octave.
    I bought the DOD FX32 to free up a rack space (being used by the dbx 120XP). Because of tracking issues and noise problems, I only used it in a few Gigs. I still use my dbx 120XP in my normal rig.

14. I don't get this distortion issue. I don't seem to notice anything like that in mine? The synthesized signal does have a sort of buzzy quality...is this what you guys mean I wonder? Listen to the box with the blend all over to the wet side and turn your EQ boost knobs off; what do you hear? It's certainly not the highest fidelity but I don't hear it as being distorted. I'd bet this DOD needs allot of juice, make sure your battery is fresh.
    the two outputs are darn handy for splitting your signal chain. This is how I used to run into both channels of my old 400+ for a massive tone. Both outputs puts out a clean signal when the box is bypassed.
    Jondog; do you still have your DBX 120XP? If so, just go to your local electronics fix-it shop and have them replace the power supply, it's a no-brainer. More than likely, you could just take it down to any local electronics supply store, have them take a look and have them sell you one for cheap. That DBX is a brilliant box; same idea as the Meatbox (subharmonic synthesizer) but far more useful. I used to keep my DBX on always to beef up my fundamentals. My new F-1X is so deep though, I hardly need it anymore.

15. Aren't the two seperate waveforms on the DBX one and two octaves below? The deepest one I have never used.
    This is a amazing box for those who don't already know...a terrific fix-it tool for rigs that for whatever reason, just aren't deep enough (my old mesa M-2000 wasn't.) I left mine on always for adding extra punch, definition and "beef" (why they called the DOD "Meatbox" right) to my lower fundamentals. The DOD is cool, unique and fun as a special effect so I'd say if you find one for cheap, go for it. You can get a used DBX for around the same price as a new-ish DOD which is something to consider. It's a little over the top and kinda goofy but hardly "crucial." My DBX however is invaluable.
    http://www.dbxpro.com/discontinued/120XP.htm

[​IMG]

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, the buzz in the synth tone is what I'm calling distortion. It's not horrible, but I'd rather it wasn't there. The dbx is cleancleanclean. I'm using an adapter, so I don't think power is the issue.

I can try to find a general electronics supply shop. My music repair place has a minimum $40 bench fee and then $75/hour after that. They do quality work, but come on! Even I can replace a stupid power supply!

17. The supply in my BBE died and I replaced it myself for very cheap. If you are handy with an iron, you might want to consider just taking care of it yourself? So simple....parts are cheap....could save you a whack o' cash obviously. I hope this isn't reckless advice but I'd say go for it. If you are unsure of what power supply to purchase, just take the old one in and the parts people should be able to identify it pronto.

18. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The subharmonics on the dbx 120xp are 26Hz-56Hz which is basically a single octave (almost A to A). The A string on a Bass is 55Hz. The A an octave below that is 27.5Hz. It reads the octave between 54Hz and 110Hz to generate the lower frequency according to the manual. The dbx 120xp has 2 knobs that adjust the amount of the signal in 2 frequency ranges but it is still just a single octave total of subharmonic frequencies.
    It really helps to thicken the bottom.

Peavey has a new subharmonic synthesizer that both adds the subharmonic an octave lower and boosts the signal an octave above the original signal to fatten the signal.
    http://www.peavey.com/news/namm03_kosmospro.cfm