DOD FX32 Meat Box sound clips and mini review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TheMutt, Jul 21, 2010.

1. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    So someone asked for some sound clips of the DOD FX32 meat box that I owned, and I have been very lazy on finally uploading them. I used two of my basses to record these tracks, my modified Musicman Stingray 5 and my stock Carvin LB5 fretless. You can see what is what with both of these basses in my profile. I played the SR5 in series mode active and passive, and the Carvin in active mode with the jazz neck pickup and the musicman soapbar both on full. The FX32 was set with the blend (meat) at 100% effect, low and low mid boost on full (rump and flank), and the volume (lbs) 1/3 of the way up. Crappy playing, crappy timing, but you'll get the idea of what this pedal is capable of. Also, you are going to need speakers or headphones with the ability to reproduce extremely low frequencies. My laptop speakers can't reproduce it at all, and my headphones can just barely, but with a lot of added distortion.

Here are the sound clips:
    Musicman Stingray in passive mode

Musicman Stingray in active mode

Musicman Stingray in active mode (range test) This is played:
    Open G 8 times
    Open D 8 times
    Open A 8 times
    A on E 8 times, then G#, G, F#, F, and open E each played 6 times
    E on low B 6 times, then D#, D, C#, C, and low B each played 6 times

Carvin Fretless tracking test in active mode This is played:
    first a song
    then open G slid up to 12th fret twice
    Open D slid up to 12th fret twice
    Open A slid up to 12th fret twice
    Open E slid up to 12th fret twice
    Open low B slid up to 12th fret twice

All in all, this pedal is pretty cool and can really shake the walls if you want it to (mind you, I only had the volume up 1/3 of the way on the pedal it could probably do some structural damage if you have a huge/loud rig). It also has very interesting tracking. Where most octave type pedals shine when played above the standard range of a bass, this pedal tends to cut out more the higher up the neck that you go. The power supply is a little annoying (it uses the same 1/8" mono plug that the older EHX pedals, and certain Demeter pedals use) but not a deal breaker. If I still owned this one, I would definitely think about getting it rehoused and a true bypass mod done, or at least get the standard switch replaced. I'd also have the potentiometers labeled with more helpful labels than something that goes with the meat graphics. I wish that I had more use for this pedal in the music that I am playing, but I am sure that someone else will find this useful should they ever come across one and want to know what it sounds like before buying it.

0524000230.jpg

Thanks for listening! :D
    Questions? Comments? Snarky remarks? :bag:

Also, unfortunately I cannot make any other sound clips as the pedal will no longer be in my possession as of tomorrow. (It flies out to Iceland tomorrow)

Edit: oh yeah, the EQ on both the Stingray and the Carvin were set to flat (center detent).

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Oh yeah, these were all recorded bass -> FX32 -> Tascam US-144 -> direct into Garageband without any post processing.

3. Wow, that's REALLY deep. I'd actually love to hear that with the blend down a bit, since that is probably how you'd usually play it. Sounds great though! Now I know why these things go for quadruple the price of the other DOD pedals.

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    You're in luck. I had the time to fire off some quick clips of what this pedal can do. All of the clips were recorded with my Musicman Stingray 5 in active mode through the DOD FX32 into my Tascam US-144 straight into Garageband with no post processing.

The recordings all follow this progression:
    Clean
    Rump (second knob from the left) and Flank(third knob from the left) @ 7:00, volume (lbs, fourth knob from the left) @ 5:00
    Rump @ 12:00, Flank @ 7:00
    Rump @ 5:00, Flank @ 7:00
    Flank @ 12:00, Rump @ 7:00
    Flank @ 5:00, Rump @ 7:00
    Rump and Flank @ 12:00
    Rump @ 7:00, Flank @ 12:00
    Rump @ 12:00, Flank @ 7:00
    Rump and Flank @ 7:00
    The volume was set as high as it could go without clipping. This sometimes meant a volume drop (as in when nothing else on the pedal was engaged), or I had to reduce the volume a great deal or it was clip-city (as in the last go through).

Here are the different blend levels:

100% clean (Meat @ 7:00)

50% blend (Meat @ 12:00)

75% blend (Meat @ 3:00)

100% effect (Meat @ 7:00)

Once again shoddy playing (out of tune in some parts because I was too lazy to tune beforehand) and general noodling, but you get the idea. :p

Edit:Oh, and the other reason that they go for so much money is that they are a total sleeper pedal that never sold back in the day. If I'm not mistaken, DOD discontinued them early on due to low sales so they are a bit of a rarity to find. Someone should reissue or clone these. ;)

Edit edit: Oh, and the EQ was set to flat on the Stingray.