DOD FX82 anyone had experince with it

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by violatedppl, Jul 26, 2005.

1. I know its an old pedal but I have seen a few go for cheap and I am looking for a decent pedal compressor to add to my line up. and was looking for some real hands on reviews of it. I tried HC with a little help but not much. thanks
  2. that was actually one of the first pedals I ever owned. Still to this day I cannot remember what I did with it. think I traded it for something... damn mis-spent youth!

I found it ok, but it's pretty inflexible. I more recently used a dbx mc6 minicomp, much more tweakability and far better sounding. These days I try to get away with no compression, at least when playing live in a decent sized room. Recording I use a Drawmer tube compressor.... mmmmmmmmm....

However, depends what you want it for. I used it because at the time I was using an old guitar amp and needed something just to tame the transients. It did that, but nowadays I'd probably find that it just wouldn't cut it.

If you're looking for a cheapy to get you out of trouble, nothing wrong with it. But if you're after a nice, compressed tone for slap or something, it's probably not the best for your money.
  3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    bump for more opinions on this pedal
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  5. 51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    Well I found it to be very average, it definitely attenuates you top end, possibly bottom end as well and is too noisy for the studio (though not a gig with a loud band).

Squashes fine at higher settings, smooths things out at lower settings perfectly adequately.

I want more personally, but for a cheap fix not bad....

Also, I'd agree with bongomania regarding the weird noise thing.
  6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    can it warm and fatten up your sound well?
  7. 51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    I wouldnt say it really does this, its transparent in so far as it doesn't really fatten stuff up except at its extreme settings, but at those levels I found the artifacts too much to live with.