1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DOD Meatbox Reissue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Doner Designs, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Anyone tried out the new DOD Meatbox subharmonic synthesizer?

Suitable for feeding to FOH or should it be limited to your stage amp?

Also I wonder how it compares to the sub-sub octave on the big POG which does two octaves up and two down (vs the mini which is only one up and one down).

I assume it's easy to shake the house at home, but wonder if you can give it enough volume in a live situation to be heard/felt without frying your speakers.

2. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Apr 1, 2011
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    It really depends on your rig.
    you need a lot of headroom to do that, If I run it with my GS412 I don't really need FOH help in a medium size venue but if I run it with my Markbass 112/212 I will need FOH help.
    Hope that helps.

BTW, if you're scared for your speakers, you can take a TRS out of it and run the wet side to a separate DI and Channel at FOH, that way they can mix it in and your rig stays dry and safe.

Oh, and in case you are interested, Here's the review i did when I first got it:

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have both the newer meatbox and a POG2. The POG cannot do what the meatbox can do. Maybe at a very liberal setting on the POG and a very mild setting on the meatbox. The POG does do a great sub octave but it's very tame compared to the meatbox. The meatbox is what it says it is, it's a sub synth. It's not an octave (I mean it is but its not really. You can't use it like a traditional octave IMO).

They both serve their own purposes. Fill their own roles. I have both on the same board. It's got all my pitch shifting and octave stuff on it. If you want to get the full effect of the meatbox, you should try doing what the above post stated about running the TRS out to the FOH. That way the full wet goes to the PA that can most times handle the heavy lifting. Most cabs can handle the meatbox to a certain point. But you MUST use caution unless you feel like replacing woofers on the regular.

Don't be scared of the meat. It's awesome when you can utilize it in spots. It's actually amazing. I've witnessed it suck the air out of a room before. It's a pretty cool thing haha. I just run it regular in my chain at somewhat liberal settings. It works for now. I want to run it with that TRS one day. Really let it loose. But I still rumble walls and hair at shows when I kick it on just inline with everything else to the FOH.

Doner Designs likes this.
  4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh, also, there is about 4 meatbox threads here on TB. Lots of great comments to learn from. Search em out. If I have time I'll try and locate some for you.

5. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    I did a search first and didn't find much.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
  7. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Thanks. Not sure why I couldn't find it. Still doesn't pop up in google search which usually works better than the internal TB search engine.

8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah for whatever reason it is tough to find. I think it's because the last post was back on Dec of '15

9. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Maybe, but normally when I search in google I get all the zombie threads too. Usually I'll resurrect one of those rather than start something new. Most of my search results referenced the original rather than the reissue and none had anywhere near the number of posts as the one you shared. I'll have to page through it when I get home. Sounds pretty awesome.

gregmon79 likes this.
  10. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Jan 7, 2014
    Virginia
    Anyone here using a dedicated sub for their pedal?