Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DOD Overdrive differences

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    What is the difference between the Yngwie model of the 250 pedal and the reissue 250 pedal? I liked the sound of the overdrive in the other thread about mild overdrive. I can only get the Yngwie model here in sweden, is it any good?

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i must admit that the information is a bit sketchy... it doesnt seem like there is all that much different about it. on music123 there is a comment from him saying that he used to have several old 250s that all had slightly different sounds and that he went to DOD and asked them to replicate the sound of one of them (which was his favourite). hope this helps.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The price! Slap Yngwie's name on it and double the price. From what I can gather, the input cap is lower.

4. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Slightly off topic, but i tried an original 250 on bass today at rehearsal... liked my Fulltone Bassdrive much better, less harsh, more natural-sounding overdrive. Your mileage may vary. ;)

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    whats an original 250 going for these days? i would take a fulltone anyday, but you wouldnt exactly say they were in the same market.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    How does the DODs handle the low freqs?

7. IndyGuitarist

IndyGuitarist

Jun 13, 2005
    Indiana
    Hi Guys -- just found this forum. :)

The difference between the two pedals is this. They are using 2 different op amps (ic chips) inside and a different capacitor value going into the opamp, though they are both schematically very similar. The YJM308 is actually closer in specs to the vintage gray dod od250, whereas the new yellow ones are using a different type of opamp, and have a little bit less bass. The good news is that anybody can do an easy modification to get tons and tons of low end out of them, simply by changing this capacitor to a 1uf capacitor.

Take care,
    Brian

8. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Here is a great explanation (and a plug for analogman:))

Analogman 250 Mods

I have an old grey 250 that I like quite a bit. Not using it too much lately as I need to replace the switch, its over 25 years old so it has earned it. Also I have found, for me anyway, that in the lower tuning (CGCF) that I am in, it hates it. When I was tuned standard it sounded great. Also really like it on Geetar too.

9. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Hello Indy! :)
    So would you recommend the Yngwie model for bass?